Paul McCartney

Demarcation

There's a few tracks that are staples in his set and have been for a long time now but I'm really not bothered about some that have been added this set. Take out 2-3 of his lesser knwon tracks and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, add in Elinor Rigby and Hard Days Night and you've got a great set.

Either way, as most have said, Get Back onwards is going to be an amazing 30-40 minutes of music. I just think the the begining needs to be a bit better. 

Are we expecting less songs for Glastonbury? I think with a few rogue ones shaved off this would be solid, but at the moment it’s near 40 songs and there are a few that would lose my attention. Maybe it will be fine. 

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

There's a few tracks that are staples in his set and have been for a long time now but I'm really not bothered about some that have been added this set. Take out 2-3 of his lesser knwon tracks and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, add in Elinor Rigby and Hard Days Night and you've got a great set.

Either way, as most have said, Get Back onwards is going to be an amazing 30-40 minutes of music. I just think the the begining needs to be a bit better. 

How dare you, Bathroom Window stays or we riot 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are we expecting less songs for Glastonbury? I think with a few rogue ones shaved off this would be solid, but at the moment it’s near 40 songs and there are a few that would lose my attention. Maybe it will be fine. 

He played 33 when he headlined in ‘04, so maybe a couple less songs but nothing major. I think he just needs to front load it a bit more, as there are certainly a few after Can’t Buy Me Love that are gonna have people scratching their heads, and it’s less casual-friendly than ‘04 until it reaches that brilliant run halfway through.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

He played 33 when he headlined in ‘04, so maybe a couple less songs but nothing major. I think he just needs to front load it a bit more, as there are certainly a few after Can’t Buy Me Love that are gonna have people scratching their heads, and it’s less casual-friendly than ‘04 until it reaches that brilliant run halfway through.

Exactly my thoughts, throw in a few bigger hits in the first 10 or so songs, lose a few of his originals, knock it down to.32-34 songs.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

His tour is 2h 40mins and Glastonbury headline sets are no longer than 2 hours. So there's a good 40 minutes to cut off, which as others have said is probably 8 songs or so. 

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

His tour is 2h 40mins and Glastonbury headline sets are no longer than 2 hours. So there's a good 40 minutes to cut off, which as others have said is probably 8 songs or so. 

Surely he’ll be getting 2 hours 30 at Glastonbury? He must’ve in ‘04 to fit so many songs in and if anybody is getting an extended set it’s him (much like the Stones). 

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Surely he’ll be getting 2 hours 30 at Glastonbury? He must’ve in ‘04 to fit so many songs in and if anybody is getting an extended set it’s him (much like the Stones). 

He went on stage at 22:20 in 2004 so only had an hour and 40 minutes assuming they still had the midnight curfew.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/01/glastonbury2004.glastonbury

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

He went on stage at 22:20 in 2004 so only had an hour and 40 minutes assuming they still had the midnight curfew.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/01/glastonbury2004.glastonbury

Well according to that Oasis went on stage at 22.50 and surely they didn’t only play for an hour ten? Curfew must’ve been brought earlier in the years since ‘cause there’s no way McCartney played 33 songs in an hour forty.

39 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Springsteen got 2:25. The Stones got 2:15 with an hour and a half to set up. Without that long setup time I don’t see why Macca couldn’t get 2:30.

If he wants something in that range, then absolutely - he'll get it.

Not convinced he'll want it, though. Playing a set to your own fans isn't the same as a festival set that's going to be seen by millions on TV. It'd make sense to lose 15-30 minutes of lesser known stuff.

19 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Curefew was later back then. They traded 30 minutes off the curfew in exchange for a couple decibels in the offsite noise levels on one of the licence renewals in the late 00s or early 10s (can't remember exactly which year but if someone cares to check programmes it should be obvious).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Not convinced he'll want it, though. Playing a set to your own fans isn't the same as a festival set that's going to be seen by millions on TV. It'd make sense to lose 15-30 minutes of lesser known stuff.

Hmm not so sure about that and think he’d very much be up for an extended set if it’s on the table, although condensing his current set in to two hours and cutting out some of the lesser known tracks early on would make it a pretty incredible two hours, and possibly all the better for it depending on the song cuts. 

10 hours ago, incident said:

Curefew was later back then. They traded 30 minutes off the curfew in exchange for a couple decibels in the offsite noise levels on one of the licence renewals in the late 00s or early 10s (can't remember exactly which year but if someone cares to check programmes it should be obvious).

So why did Radiohead still do a full set in 2017. their show was normally 25 songs pretty much every show except for a festival set if they were given less time but that was hardly the case that whole tour. Just cause youre going to be on just TV doesnt mean you have to trim things back. Doubt many people will care watching at home. They can just get up and grab a snack or go to the loo while a Wings song is on. We will not have that luxury per say.  Still not gonna be as many people compared to if the fest was shown on an open streaming platform. I think if any headliner is going to try to change their setlist to potentially appeal to the audience and such it would be Billie. But that would very much be based on if her full production makes it onto the Pyramid or not. Kendrick  is going to do what he does and we're gonna be left in the dark til 3 days prior anyway.

Edited by Suprefan

25 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So why did Radiohead still do a full set in 2017. their show was normally 25 songs pretty much every show except for a festival set if they were given less time but that was hardly the case that whole tour. Just cause youre going to be on just TV doesnt mean you have to trim things back. Doubt many people will care watching at home. They can just get up and grab a snack or go to the loo while a Wings song is on. We will not have that luxury per say.  Still not gonna be as many people compared to if the fest was shown on an open streaming platform. I think if any headliner is going to try to change their setlist to potentially appeal to the audience and such it would be Billie. But that would very much be based on if her full production makes it onto the Pyramid or not. Kendrick  is going to do what he does and we're gonna be left in the dark til 3 days prior anyway.

You get very defensive when someone criticises Coachella comparing it to how it’s done at Glastonbury because they don’t understand the culture and infrastructure of your country. 

The relationship between the BBC and Glastonbury is symbiotic and the BBC has a very different position to any of your media outlets. 

Just because YouTube is right for Coachella doesn’t mean it’s right for Glastonbury!

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Was all set to come in here blustering about the Foos getting two and a half hours before checking and discovering they only were down for two.

It felt much, much longer.

Was probably all that pre-talk from Dave of ‘we’re gonna keep playing until they kick us off’ that actually meant ‘we’re just gonna play for our allotted time slot’. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Calm down lad.

I'm not suggestion Macca "has" to do anything because he's on TV - I said he may choose to trim a few songs. That's not a wild idea - we've seen people do exactly that in the past, just as we've seen people play their full tour set, and for that matter we've seen people rework their show entirely.

Not sure why Radiohead would be relevant to that, though personally their set in 2017 isn't one I'd use as an example of a band getting it right.