Paul McCartney

Demarcation

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just don’t get why speculation upsets people on a speculation forum. I don’t think that’s really the reason though it’s that some people can’t have fun without winding people up or starting a scrap.

All I said, or what I intended to say, was if page n plant do desert trip I think Hyde park is a likely venue if they came to the UK - in light of BST booking acts like the Eagles and the Stones.

What baffles me. And I’m open to someone explaining this to me, is why comments of mine like this make people angry. Because if I’m going to be frank right now I don’t get it and I don’t understand. I’m confused why people come here if they don’t like discussions about potential future gigs or what acts could tour. I’m genuinely confused.

What has all of this got to do with Paul McCartney?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What baffles me. And I’m open to someone explaining this to me, is why comments of mine like this make people angry. Because if I’m going to be frank right now I don’t get it and I don’t understand. I’m confused why people come here if they don’t like discussions about potential future gigs or what acts could tour. I’m genuinely confused.

Because it’s so easy to just say:

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

if page n plant do desert trip I think Hyde park is a likely venue if they came to the UK - in light of BST booking acts like the Eagles and the Stones.

instead of what you actually said.

I only quoted this one because it was funny that the rumour you linked literally said it appears shaky, but what is slightly annoying when you do this with other rumours/suggestions is you state it like it’s a fact and then convince yourself it’s happening and repeat it ad infinitum until it finally gets disproved. Then you’ll move onto another suggestion and do the same.

And then you’ll get surprised when someone calls you out on it and act like it’s what everybody does and that you’re getting unfairly picked on, when anyone who reads this site for more than a second can see that you are the only one who does it to such an extent.

I don’t think anyone has an actual issue with you as a person, but it does get tedious when you do this with so many acts through the year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just don’t get why speculation upsets people on a speculation forum. I don’t think that’s really the reason though it’s that some people can’t have fun without winding people up or starting a scrap.

All I said, or what I intended to say, was if page n plant do desert trip I think Hyde park is a likely venue if they came to the UK - in light of BST booking acts like the Eagles and the Stones.

Is anyone angry though (well, apart from the fella that keeps downvoting you - and clearly he's a right knob)? I think people can and do get frustrated with some of the things you say because you say it with such 'authority'. The fact that the desert trip people are aiming for Page & Plant seems to infer a BST show next year etc. Anyone who reads what Robert Plant has to say will know this is very unlikely. And where have you heard about him hanging out with Jimmy Page?

But keep on doing what you're doing. Just don't be too surprised if occasionally people don't agree with you.  

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

When I came in here that’s what people were talking about 

Looking back it looks like 3 pages of you saying Page & Plant could play Hyde Park next year, followed by other people shooting you down. Maybe best to just nip it in the bud? You don't have to keep responding.

Your life though, I won't tell you how to live it. My bit of advice to you is to not care so much about what other people think, and to not take disagreements personally.

55 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Why not? JPJ is very keen and no way they wouldn't have Jason Bonham on sticks. Page and Plant was a bum steer that no-one in the history of ever would want to reprise. The issue is getting Page and Plant together on stage playing Zep songs. As people have said the Zep tour will never happen, but if P+P unite in person on stage, it would be Zep. 

Because Plant has said his voice isn't good enough to do justice to Zep songs anymore.

2 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Because it’s so easy to just say:

instead of what you actually said.

I only quoted this one because it was funny that the rumour you linked literally said it appears shaky, but what is slightly annoying when you do this with other rumours/suggestions is you state it like it’s a fact and then convince yourself it’s happening and repeat it ad infinitum until it finally gets disproved. Then you’ll move onto another suggestion and do the same.

And then you’ll get surprised when someone calls you out on it and act like it’s what everybody does and that you’re getting unfairly picked on, when anyone who reads this site for more than a second can see that you are the only one who does it to such an extent.

I don’t think anyone has an actual issue with you as a person, but it does get tedious when you do this with so many acts through the year.

Thanks, but what’s the difference between what I’ve done and what you’ve done with J Cole, Dua Lipa headlining the Saturday or whatever? We all back our own horses. Also I’ve never gone at you for repeating ad infinitum about Pierce O Brien.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Thanks, but what’s the difference between what I’ve done and what you’ve done with J Cole, Dua Lipa headlining the Saturday or whatever? We all back our own horses. Also I’ve never gone at you for repeating ad infinitum about Pierce O Brien.

Well, J. Cole was a joke that I made in one of my first few posts that I and others have repeated every now and then as a joke.

Dua Lipa I thought was a decent contender for headlining the Saturday. Never acted like it was definite or anything, I thought she was one of several possibilities. I also think it’s still a possibility she headlines the Other Stage, I just don’t think it’s nailed on.

Pierce O’ Brien was mentioned to me by a promoter as playing the Williams Green Stage. And his music is funny, so I kept mentioning it.

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

People do like discussions and future gigs and what acts could tour, of course. It's the constant attempt to position yourself as an authority on these things that frustrate/bore (rather than anger) people. It's quite clear that you want to be seen as an in-the-know, as someone people look to as the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to festivals and to a lesser extent, the music industry in general. But ultimately, most of us can see you're often just making things up to entertain yourself/others or creating very poorly sourced theories (that can actually be okay, as long as you don't present it as fact as you often do). I'm not saying you're the only one who's ever done it, but nobody comes remotely close. You do it to such an extent that it dominates so many threads and takes so many conversations in a direction that is frustrating for those of us who prefer to discuss without hyperbole, with reason and with some element of truth behind it (I have no idea where the latest one today came from so please don't focus on it - this is a general point). Perhaps you don't actually realise how much you do it, and that might explain why you feel you're being singled out. For want of a better term, it often feels like you're trying to make it the Matt42 show all the time. I'm not sure what you're like away from this forum, but here it comes across as very self-indulgent, sometimes narcisstic. Your comment to someone (Andy?) who criticised you about it 'stinking with jealousy and envy' only reinforces that (and is why I joked about it earlier).

My personal reaction to it is to make jokes. I know some go in harder and some do what you would call 'trolling'. But it's clearly not one person (I think Neil can easily dispell that one anyway based on what he said earlier) and I think dismissing it as such is disgenuous. There's opposition to your posts from a range of people including very established and respected posters, ordinary passers by frustrated by it and yeah, sure...trolls. Talking about festivals isn't the most important thing in the world but it's certainly escapism for a lot of people so it's no surprise to me that people get frustrated and things kinda boil over like today. 

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

People do like discussions and future gigs and what acts could tour, of course. It's the constant attempt to position yourself as an authority on these things that frustrate/bore (rather than anger) people. It's quite clear that you want to be seen as an in-the-know, as someone people look to as the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to festivals and to a lesser extent, the music industry in general. But ultimately, most of us can see you're often just making things up to entertain yourself/others or creating very poorly sourced theories (that can actually be okay, as long as you don't present it as fact as you often do). I'm not saying you're the only one who's ever done it, but nobody comes remotely close. You do it to such an extent that it dominates so many threads and takes so many conversations in a direction that is frustrating for those of us who prefer to discuss without hyperbole, with reason and with some element of truth behind it (I have no idea where the latest one today came from so please don't focus on it - this is a general point). Perhaps you don't actually realise how much you do it, and that might explain why you feel you're being singled out. For want of a better term, it often feels like you're trying to make it the Matt42 show all the time. I'm not sure what you're like away from this forum, but here it comes across as very self-indulgent, sometimes narcisstic. Your comment to someone (Andy?) who criticised you about it 'stinking with jealousy and envy' only reinforces that (and is why I joked about it earlier).

My personal reaction to it is to make jokes. I know some go in harder and some do what you would call 'trolling'. But it's clearly not one person (I think Neil can easily dispell that one anyway based on what he said earlier) and I think dismissing it as such is disgenuous. There's opposition to your posts from a range of people including very established and respected posters, ordinary passers by frustrated by it and yeah, sure...trolls. Talking about festivals isn't the most important thing in the world but it's certainly escapism for a lot of people so it's no surprise to me that people get frustrated and things kinda boil over like today. 

I Ain't Reading All That | Know Your Meme

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Thank you

58 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Out of upvotes, but this sums it up for me.

Anyway, Macca, what song does he open with these days?