Paul McCartney

Demarcation

Agree with everyone about the band and the back catalogue. I’ve seen maybe 15-20 of his gigs since he started playing Beatles material again in 87(?) and there’s no denying his voice is pretty shot now. But he’s surrounded by the greatest tribute band imaginable - I’d argue their instrumental ability is technically superior to John, George and Ringo - and they play so much material that we never heard the Beatles play live. Plus the harmonies and backing vocals are so important to the Fabs’ material that Paul’s vocals are largely unimportant - they’re swamped by the wonder of everything else going on around. 

Edited by Mackem
  • Upvote 3

Incredibly excited for this. Saw him at MEN Arena in 2003, he played over 3 hours. One of the few people that is so famous you’re starstruck as soon as he walks on stage. Then there’s so many songs.

Totally agree on his band, they were amazing 9 years ago, same at Glastonbury 04, they seem even better now. His voice might be shot but balls to it, it’s Paul McCartney on the Pyramid. This is absolutely the last time this will happen and it will be all about the collective experience, which will be something else.

After the last two years, the cancelled festivals and everything else, try and imagine yourself in that field at 9pm Saturday June 25 as the actual real Paul McCartney walks on stage and clangs into A Hard Days Night. I’ve got goosebumps just picturing it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Incredibly excited for this. Saw him at MEN Arena in 2003, he played over 3 hours. One of the few people that is so famous you’re starstruck as soon as he walks on stage. Then there’s so many songs.

Totally agree on his band, they were amazing 9 years ago, same at Glastonbury 04, they seem even better now. His voice might be shot but balls to it, it’s Paul McCartney on the Pyramid. This is absolutely the last time this will happen and it will be all about the collective experience, which will be something else.

After the last two years, the cancelled festivals and everything else, try and imagine yourself in that field at 9pm Saturday June 25 as the actual real Paul McCartney walks on stage and clangs into A Hard Days Night. I’ve got goosebumps just picturing it.

Yep! And I dunno about for others, but for me being at Glastonbury will truly feel like the end of the pandemic. What better way to return to normality than celebrating with the guy who literally defined modern music. There’s no one better living today, and frankly even dead, who is better placed to represent that moment. 

• Upvote 1

And yeah, I'm totally here for Macca on the Pyramid. After seeing Get Back, it brought home that the man was a proper genius and The Beatles are one of the biggest musical things to have happened in my life - and to say Paul was a huge part of that band feels like a ridiculous understatement.

4 hours ago, Mackem said:

Agree with everyone about the band and the back catalogue. I’ve seen maybe 15-20 of his gigs since he started playing Beatles material again in 87(?) and there’s no denying his voice is pretty shot now. But he’s surrounded by the greatest tribute band imaginable - I’d argue their instrumental ability is technically superior to John, George and Ringo - and they play so much material that we never heard the Beatles play live. Plus the harmonies and backing vocals are so important to the Fabs’ material that Paul’s vocals are largely unimportant - they’re swamped by the wonder of everything else going on around. 

Although I'd say that's not quite as true as for say, Brian Wilson. The lead melody was much more important in Beatles tunes in general. Luckily, Paul's voice is nowhere near as shot as Brian Wilson's. Yes, we can point to videos of him having an off day, where he struggles with a really hard to sing song like Maybe I'm Amazed, and of course his voice doesn't sound youthful. But he still has serious vocal chops - that man can still hit notes better than most people.

5 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I haven't read the link but I think those Daily Mail reporters have been back on eFests.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10533573/amp/Sir-Paul-McCartney-headline-act-Glastonbury-cancelled-2020.html

Screenshot_20220221-072447-157.png

Original report was from The Scum. It’s happening for sure. Only question of when it will be confirmed now. 

The article so clicks to the Fail are minimal:

“Sir Paul McCartney will reportedly be the headline act for Glastonbury 2022. 

The Beatles legend, 79, who last performed on the Pyramid Stage in 2004, was due to play at the 2020 festival before it was cancelled due to Covid-19.

With the upcoming festival taking place just a week after his 80th birthday, Sir Paul will be the oldest ever star to headline the event. 

According to the Sun, Paul will follow Noel Gallagher and Haim on Saturday, June 25 and is 'determined to put on a hell of a show'.

'Paul’s set will be an absolutely must-see. He is really excited for it and is determined to put on a hell of a show packed with all of the hits,' a source said.

'There was some discussion about whether he should go ahead with shows this year because of the situation with Covid, but he decided he really wants to perform.

'Glastonbury is such an amazing event to headline and he knows it will be an incredible moment for him.' 

MailOnline has approached Glastonbury and a representative for Paul for comment.

Paul will join Billie Eilish at the festival, who is also making history, but as the youngest solo headliner.

Last October, Glastonbury organisers Emily and Michael Eavis officially confirmed the Grammy-winner will take to the Pyramid Stage on Friday, June 24. 

A statement on the official Glastonbury Twitter page read: 'We are very excited to confirm that @billieeilish will headline the Pyramid Stage on the Friday night at Glastonbury 2022, to become the Festival's youngest ever solo headliner. This will be her first UK festival headline performance.' 

The 19-year-old superstar - who grew up in Los Angeles - played The Other Stage in 2019, and admitted she wasn't aware just how big a deal it was to play the legendary festival when she got the invite.

She said: 'I feel so embarrassed because I had no idea Glastonbury was even a thing. I was like, 'What's that?'

'I didn't know it was a big deal until after I played it. Everyone was like 'oh my God, you played Glastonbury' and I was like 'Yeah, so?' And then I realised. I am a little uncultured baby.

'It was such an honour, I mean, come on. Dude, the crowd was unbelievable. Those moshpits? Oh my God. The crowd was great.'

It come after news broke that Taylor Swift will not be performing at Glastonbury 2022. 

A source claimed that the singer, who was previously booked to appear at the festival in 2020, has now 'politely declined' an offer to take to the stage this year.

Taylor was among a star-studded lineup booked to take to the stage at the famous Somerset festival two years ago, alongside Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar, but the show was eventually cancelled due to the Covid pandemic.

A source told The Sun: 'Taylor politely declined when she was approached because the timing just isn't right at the moment.

'Of course she would absolutely love to headline at some point. It is still on her bucket list but performing isn't her priority right now.

'She has old albums which she is still working on re- recording and getting those finished is her priority.'

Glastonbury was cancelled for a second year in 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The festival returns between June 22 and June 26, 2022.”

20 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

The ticker tape on Good Morning Britain has just reported he’s set to headline. 

Don’t know if they’ve just got it from that article but it seems they’re fairly confident 

Yeah how they reported it would come across to someone casually tuning in like the festival has confirmed it.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They are probs on the phone to Macca’s team asking if they can confirm him ahead of whatever tour he has coming.

Absolutely. As I said last night, the more media outlets report it, arguably the lesser the impact of the announcement. It's still huge, of course, but the festival will want it to be special

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Although I'd say that's not quite as true as for say, Brian Wilson. The lead melody was much more important in Beatles tunes in general. Luckily, Paul's voice is nowhere near as shot as Brian Wilson's. Yes, we can point to videos of him having an off day, where he struggles with a really hard to sing song like Maybe I'm Amazed, and of course his voice doesn't sound youthful. But he still has serious vocal chops - that man can still hit notes better than most people.

The thing with Paul’s voice is that he still sounds like himself. His voice hasn’t gone to the point where it’s unrecognisable and, as you say, for a lot of his songs it’s really not that far off anyway. It seems to be the more ballady type tunes that he struggles with, but on most of the more rock based tunes he sounds good still. On the last tour, stuff like Hard Days, Skelter, Get Back, Band on the Run etc sounded great.

This was his 2004 set list.... and forgive me if I am wrong ... nothing decent has been released since 

oh he did do a song about a tambourine... didn't he also say eh made up a song while back stage it was utter dog shite . but hey  the songs are good and you know them all. 

1. Jet
    (Wings song)
    Play Video
  2. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  4. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  5. (Wings song)
    Play Video
  6. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  8. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  9. (The Quarrymen song)
    Play Video
  10. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  11. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  13. (George Harrison cover)
    Play Video
  14. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  15. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  17. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  18. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  19. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  20. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  21. (Wings song)
    Play Video
  22. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  23. (Wings song)
    Play Video
  24. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  25. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  26. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  27. Encore:
  28. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  29. (first time played)
    Play Video
  30. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  31. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  32. Encore 2:
  33. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video
  34. (The Beatles song)
    Play Video

12 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

It depends on how long he does, the 2019 set lists all have him doing 38 songs. I imagine, he'll do 2 and a half hours? so 30 songs? 

Yeah, I can't see him doing his full set. Maybe one or two from the last album (which is actually quite good) with the rest being the usual suspects.

I even want all the clichés thrown in. "George gave me this ukulele", "Now the fellas", and I'm all in on a Mull of Kintyre finale.  

• Like 1

I've done a bit of a mix up of 2018/2019 set lists with also adding Long and Winding Road/Get Back due to the documentary. 

The one I would love, but I just can't see is A Day In The Life (with give peace a chance outro) if I can slot that in between Back in the USSR and Let It Be, it would pretty much be a perfect set list(for me), add one from the most recent album that I'm not familiar with and a guest appearance from Noel G. 

A Hard Day's Night 
Get Back
Can't Buy Me Love
Let Me Roll It 
All My Loving
Queenie Eye
Here Today
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Got a Feeling
Long and Winding Road
Blackbird
Love Me Do
Lady Madonna
Eleanor Rigby
Fuh You
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di
Band on The Run
Back in the U.S.S.R
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore 
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

Edited by chazwwe
  • Like 1