Glastonbury was on the ‘when we retire list’ - so taking early retirement at 55 from teaching this Christmas and struck lucky with tickets!

So - i can cope with the toilets and not showering but having not camped for about 35 years would appreciate some advice!! 

• Upvote 1

I've never liked sleeping bags, so would suggest a duvet.

Having your own pillow makes a big difference. 

A solution for night time wees that doesn't involve leaving the tent.

Ear plugs and eye mask

What you sleep on is important, cheap airbeds suck

Being able to stand up your a tent is a big plus, as is a good sized porch

Being able to sit down at your tent is great, consider a chair

Edited by TheNewUnion
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sue12 said:

Glastonbury was on the ‘when we retire list’ - so taking early retirement at 55 from teaching this Christmas and struck lucky with tickets!

So - i can cope with the toilets and not showering but having not camped for about 35 years would appreciate some advice!! 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-freshblack-tent-3-man-id_8357355.html

A revelation in recent years is also an old, thin double duvet and a pillow. Bit extra to carry in but makes the whole experience much more comfortable!

Thanks for the link - going with my boyfriend so going to go for a 4 man tent - got an old duvet so that sounds good to me! 

You won't be in  your tent much so get a quality  lightweight quick to put up one with a black out lining.  Good sleeping bag and air bed.  Check out the various camp sites, ifvyou want a bit of peace and quiet at night then we usually go to lime kiln. Or you could consider Worthy view. 

Fabric conditioner bottle 

• Upvote 1

Make sure you can carry everything or take a robust trolley. I always take a proper pillow. It gets cold at night but hot in the morning so I usually throw the picnic blanket over my sleeping bag at night then throw it off once warm. Take air bed or self inflating mattress. I take Traveljohns for in tent facilities if you need loo in the night and it’s raining! 
a small gas cooker is handy for hot drinks, porridge, pasta pots etc but there are so many places to buy food, coffee etc that it’s not essential. 
ear plugs another essential! And a water carrier. And waterproof footwear of choice. And a chair. And booze. And socks - always socks!! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-freshblack-tent-3-man-id_8357355.html

A revelation in recent years is also an old, thin double duvet and a pillow. Bit extra to carry in but makes the whole experience much more comfortable!

+ 1 recommendation for the Quechua Fresh & Black line. Getting one of these was a game changer. Before, bright light streamed in to my tent, meaning I had to sleep with an eye mask on and by 8am it often got roasting hot. Now, I'm able to sleep in (at least a little) and it's cool in my tent all day.

45 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

A solution for night time wees that doesn't involve leaving the tent.

Alternative to a Lenor bottle is a Travel John.

Can be used in combination with a She-wee if required. (Ms DVB might recommend a practice run at home before trying it in a tent in the middle of the night after a few ciders).

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

No worries. Excited for you. The build up for a lot of us is as much part of the experience as the experience itself. 

We're all here for any questions you have. ?

Just now, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Can be used in combination with a She-wee if required. (Ms DVB might recommend a practice run at home before trying it in a tent in the middle of the night after a few ciders).

1 minute ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Good idea to have a practice! ?

17 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

+ 1 recommendation for the Quechua Fresh & Black line. Getting one of these was a game changer. Before, bright light streamed in to my tent, meaning I had to sleep with an eye mask on and by 8am it often got roasting hot. Now, I'm able to sleep in (at least a little) and it's cool in my tent all day.

Fresh and Black is a hero around these parts. I think Two Hats has shares!

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

No worries. Excited for you. The build up for a lot of us is as much part of the experience as the experience itself. 

We're all here for any questions you have. ?

Thank you - already had 2 Glastonbury dreams in 3 days and ridiculously excited about Diana Ross - think I’m going to be past myself by June!