Has anybody ever been to Glasto that DIDN'T like it?

Stevie P-alike

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

That's a perfect, considerate and most importantly understanding description of anxiety. I remember that day. You were a true Glastonbury spirit. 

Perversely 2015 was my first Glastonbury and that incident and Kali's response was my first experience of Glastonbury 'spirit'. Had coach tickets for Thursday and had spent all winter swotting up here preparing myself for my inevitable 'Glastonbury moments' but just reading on here the efforts made to help a stranger was amazing itself. Made me realise before I even saw the festival on approach as we neared that this would be a place me and my heart would belong. Soppy post I know but hey, I had and still have the same anxiety as that guy. Taking a step into the great unknown with the knowledge someone would have my back was so heartwarming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

Perversely 2015 was my first Glastonbury and that incident and Kali's response was my first experience of Glastonbury 'spirit'. Had coach tickets for Thursday and had spent all winter swotting up here preparing myself for my inevitable 'Glastonbury moments' but just reading on here the efforts made to help a stranger was amazing itself. Made me realise before I even saw the festival on approach as we neared that this would be a place me and my heart would belong. Soppy post I know but hey, I had and still have the same anxiety as that guy. Taking a step into the great unknown with the knowledge someone would have my back was so heartwarming. 

I hear ya. I suffer from anxiety and can find Glastonbury incredible and also overwhelming. So yeah, good to know someone's got your back. X

Born late '60s. Grew up in the '70s.

My Grandparents families grew up in some of the last places to get inside plumbing and toilets in town. I therefore grew up with the "flannel over the sink washes during the week and a bath on Sunday before school" tradition. Despite the fact that things had moved on.

Body Odour possibly wasn't even considered a bad thing was it? Until the marketing people convinced our ancestors otherwise? /s

I have an older friend who was brought up a bit posher who seems to think that you can do Glastonbury by returning to some kind of hotel every night. Like it's in the centre of Glastonbury and that Glastonbury is a city like Bristol or something. And that it's nearby. Picture that stereotype that you've probably, almost definitely, seen in the car parks with a suitcase on wheels and wearing high heels.

Thought I had a point to make. Oh yeah. Something to do with expectations, upbringing and reality. Do you really expect what is a dairy farm for three quarters of the year to have plumbing and shelter and charging points just for you? Just for one weekend? Some people just see the social media posts and jump in regardless.

Glastonbury is so ying and yang. I've had my highest highs and my lowest lows there. My lowest lows being more recent. I guess I should be thankful that my first time there was a blinder in terms of timing, weather and bands I liked, or I may have become the person we're discussing.

Let's try and look out for people who are struggling next year.

Regardless of why.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Mrs Kid’s making her festival debut on worthy farm next year, she’s a bit of a clean freak and will either love it or hate it. I’m just hoping that it’s the most alive that she’ll have felt in a very very long time and if that’s the case I don’t think she’ll be arsed about a bit of mud. 

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I always find it’s those who don’t like camping which don’t like Glastonbury.

I find it funny when people expect the two to be different. It makes me wonder what the perception of Glastonbury is to those who have never been? 

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If you like going to festivals you like camping. If you’re staying on site... you like camping.

When I say “hate” camping I mean those who think staying a few days in a field is below them. That they cannot have fun unless they are perfectly clean at all times.

I honestly hate camping. I dont think festival camping and outdoors camping are quite the same. But yeah, I'm okay with a low amount of comfort. Im okay with getting dirty and hairy. 

My first year was 2016 and I found it very difficult physically and definitely had some low moments. Most of the people I know that I show photos to think it looks like a waking nightmare. It's really a festival where I dont encourage anyone to go, because if it was like 2016 a lot of people in my life would be mad at me for making them endure that ?

Don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who just outright didn’t like it yet. I’ve met a few people who have been once, said they loved it but have never been compelled to try going back.

That I can understand to an extent, I’m like that with pretty much anything else in life other than Glastonbury. Been to plenty of places once, had a great time but never bothered to go back.

In a bit of a twist on the original topic, I’ve got a mate who tried desperately to go in 13 and 14 when AM and Kasabian ended up headlining. He loves both bands and failed for both of them. He then sort of gave up on it and coincidentally me and another mate along with some other friends he didn’t know got tickets for 2015, and every one since. He is an incredibly stubborn person and after failing in 2014 and 2013 he now point blank refuses to go. It’s really annoying as this year we ended up in a group of four for tickets, we pestered him for weeks to join our group, but he wouldn’t have it. We got tickets so he would’ve got to go for certain for the first time. We know he’d absolutely love, but he just won’t entertain it.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Glastonbury can be very hard work, particularly for newbies. The size and scale is unparalleled and there are so many people. You need to have a certain level of tolerance to enjoy the festival and be able to make the best of what can be difficult conditions. 2016 which for me was physically very hard was ironically one of the most enjoyable from a musical standpoint despite the mud and the B word, I just got on with it. That said I can totally understand why some would not consider it for them.

My brother came in 2007 with a friend when it was rainy and muddy and hard work.  They didn't enjoy the experience.  They'd both been to a few festivals, although often in a camper van (which they didn't do at Glastonbury).  They've never been back.

It’s all a question of mindset isn’t it. I’ll never forget one year some woman getting annoyed and having a go at me towards the back of the pyramid for treading on the corner of her picnic blanket. She was completely enraged, somebody with that sort of mindset will never really enjoy something like Glastonbury will they?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I've known a few people who genuinely didn't like it, generally due to crowds/busyness as well as probably bad weather luck. Also a number of the 'one and done' people, who did have a great time but didn't want to make it an annual routine. And one guy who always goes/tries for a ticket, but then spends the whole time complaining about how there's no music he likes... 

Went with two friends a few years back and they appeared to have a good time. The next year we all got tickets again and they gave theirs up before the re-sale. For no good reason either, just weren't feeling it. It felt almost sacrilege knowing how many people who genuinely want to go miss out on tickets and there they were with both with them in the bag and they couldn't be arsed going.

I do appreciate it's not for everyone. I, on the other hand knew from my very first time I'd be nowhere else in June.

12 hours ago, Smeble said:

I’m the opposite, I love camping, I’ve camped in Africa, India, South America, wales? but I have absolutely no desire to ever camp at a festival ever again, once you go campervan you never go back.

Every single bloody year I swear it's the last time and next year I'll have saved enough for a camper. It never quite works out like that... life gets in the way and saving for a camper means I'd have to cut back on my gig habit and well... Urm..   just no! 

Plus I do love my mates who we always camp with and there are just too many of them so something would have to give as there wouldn't be enough space for them all to camp with us in the camper fields. They are a huge reason of why I love the place so much ❤

Instead I'll just continue to moan about my back being knackered and having to fuck about at stupid o clock putting wellies on to take my old lady bladder for a pee

Next year I'll be moaning at 7am that it's too hot to sleep... again... ?

A bloke I work with in his 50’s absolutely lives for gigs and live music. Goes to pretty much every live gig in our area and always goes to things like Live at Leeds where there’s multiple venues showcasing bands across a full day. But as soon as I mention a festival in a field or try to convince him he would love Glastonbury he doesn’t want to hear it. Has never tried it and says he can’t think of anything worse, can never understand it!

Yeah I have known people not to enjoy it but they dont enjoy festivals generally. I have never known anyone who likes other festivals to dislike Glastonbury.

I get the overwhelm sometimes but because I have been so many times and I'm working a) it gives my day structure and b)I know where to go depending on my problem - so too busy? too hot? go to permaculture. Too down? go to Healing. Pissed off with dirty toilets? Go to a backstage bar with clean composters. Absolutely pissing it down? Head to Greenpeace cafe or somewhere under cover and wait it out. 

Plus dont put pressure on yourself to enjoy yourself all the time and dont worry about FOMO and always have some waterproof trousers to hand so you dont get too cold and wet and you'll be ok. 

I must clarify.

No one LOVES being in dirt for 4/5 days, but if you tolerate it you like camping and like it much more than some who would never set foot in the place.

I went in 2015 with someone who was a bit of a germaphobe and really didn’t like getting dirty. It was hard to keep them at the festival but by the Sunday they had come around.

my favourite Glastonbury was 2016. Great music, great people, awful weather.

There was something special about making it to the end of that one. I was with a perfect group of people which just “laughed it off” and tried to make the best out of the worst weather. During Coldplay’s closing set and the great music in the south east corner I felt like I’d made it to the end of a marathon.

Sticking and persevering with a difficult weather festival can actually be a great experience. Glastonbury 2016 and Houghton 2018 are my two favourite festivals I’ve ever been to. Awful weather for both of them.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

my favourite Glastonbury was 2016. Great music, great people, awful weather.

There was something special about making it to the end of that one. I was with a perfect group of people which just “laughed it off” and tried to make the best out of the worst weather. During Coldplay’s closing set and the great music in the south east corner I felt like I’d made it to the end of a marathon.

Sticking and persevering with a difficult weather festival can actually be a great experience. Glastonbury 2016 and Houghton 2018 are my two favourite festivals I’ve ever been to. Awful weather for both of them.

My least favourite Glastonbury was 2016. I can't even describe how miserable I was on the Sunday. Spent half the day in the medical tent despite the shit weather having the worst bout of hayfever I've ever had after they ran out of chippings and straw and started with hay on the walkways. Wound up looking like the elephant man on a nebulizer and steroids and was just too knackered after days of mud to take medical advice and leave the site. I was honestly exhausted after days of mud and couldn't face going back to the tent as it was full of fucking mud! 

My saving grace was Coldplay. Now I'm not a Coldplay fan by any means but my son wanted to see them and I knew it would be the last Glastonbury  I would be at with him for a while as he was about to embark on a teaching career. I told him I'd give it 10 mins and if they were shite he would walk back to the tent with me

Best party I've ever been to! I'm never ever going to be a big Coldplay fan but that night they were soul food, made my miserable self smile and were the sole reason I remembered why I love the place so much and tried for tickets again for 2017

The Glastonbury God's move in mysterious ways!

.... or I'm just a sucker for a light up wristband!

Edited by Digi
  • Upvote 1

A girl who came with us in 2016 didn’t really enjoy it and has no interest in going again. She was a south dublin posh wan and the mud and the toilets ruined it for her. She also wore these ridiculous little wellies that barely came up to her ankles and sure they just filled with mud in about ten seconds 

Edited by Madyaker

I didn't enjoy the first year I went in 1989. I'd been going to festivals since 1976 up to that point, things like Reading, Bracknell Jazz, Elephant Fayre, Stonehenge and Womad, but I just found Glastonbury too big and told myself I wouldn't return. I've never liked large stadium shows or one day festivals like Knebworth. As a result I didn't go to the 1990 festival, but by the time the next one came around in 1992, I'd had a change of heart and decided to give it another go. This time I stayed away from the Pyramid and spent the entire weekend at the smaller stages and as a result enjoyed it much more than the first time. So much so that I went to the next 18 festivals. In all those subsequent years I continued to avoid the Pyramid stage, which never really appealed due to the large crowds. After 40 years I finally retired from festivals in 2016 and I have no real desire to ever go to any again. But those 40 years were some of the best years of my life.

21 hours ago, Stevie P-alike said:

I meet up with an old mate about once or twice a year, and at some point in the day we'll get onto the topic of festivals. This happens every year after a few drinks, and the conversation is always identical.

We both love our music, and at some point I'll say to him "Why don't you come to Glasto with me next year". He'll then go through a load of reasons why he'd hate it :

• too big
  • too many people
  • I want to see the bands, not just watch it on the screens
  • too much choice - too many clashes
  • etc. etc.

I always end up saying that I bet he doesn't know anybody who's actually been to Glasto that didn't enjoy it...and actually he doesn't. But there must be some. Just wondering if anybody knows anybody, and why

My step-mum (who is 64) had a horrid time of it in 2017; she hates crowds, gets nervous in huddles and had to sit down for long periods or wait at the back of the bigger acts where there was a lot more space so she didn't panic too much. Why did she go? Because her partner, my dad, loves music festivals and had never been to a "big" one. Glasto was his first of any of the main ones in the UK, and he tried again last week for tickets. My step-mum is on the fence, but I think she'd more than likely want to go again... especially if Coldplay headlined who are one of her current faves... so perhaps hate is too strong a word, but more a love-hate relationship is more apt.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A co-worker of my wife's is a bit like that. We met him for a beer before some gig or other and after Mrs CG said to him I was off there the following week he straight out said to me 'Glastonbury is for c**ts'.

Brian May just won’t let that badger thing go will he!

Everyone who I’ve been with has enjoyed but to differing levels. 3 of us are obsessed, and my obsession grew year on year (this being my 4th).  We have 2 newbies this year so will be interesting to see what they make of it.

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

Too kind. I’ll take it ?

Yeah that fella had spent most of the year on eFests before his first Glastonbury and the hype became a pressure he put on himself to get something out of every moment. When a couple of things didn’t fall into place early on, his inner critic lambasted him for not having a good time like he thought he was supposed to. 

As many were posting about how fantastic it was to be back, this poor guy couldn’t relate and that increased the sense of disconnect between his visions of Glastonbury and the reality he was experiencing. And that in turn fuelled the self-critical voice within. I did what I could but it was a sad time for him and by Thursday he was on the train home. 

Since then I’ve been minded to advise newbies, particularly those going solo, not to give themselves a hard time if it takes a while to connect with the festival, and that everyone’s experience is different. The goal is to enjoy in the way that resonates most with you. If that doesn’t tally with the most common experiences you read about, it doesn’t matter in the slightest. It’s not a competition.

Haven’t read through all this thread but thought I’d pop up to say that whenever I’m now in a situation that requires me to move from what I was intending to do to do something that means more to someone else it’s called ‘I’m doing a Kalifire’.  Oftentimes that means that I’m being kinder than I otherwise would have been.  I feel like a better human being because of what you did that year. 

The rest of my immediate family, who are not on efests (for reasons beyond understanding) but with whom I shared the story of your generousity of spirit, also do ‘Kalifires’.    You have become a noun.

We have all become better people.

Thank you.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2