Has anybody ever been to Glasto that DIDN'T like it?

Stevie P-alike

Yes, I know people who didn't like it, or at least they didn't enjoy it as much as the smaller festivals they regularly go to (Beautiful Days, Bearded Theory, others).

Last time they were there, they'd had enough half way through ('No decent bands' i.e. no Levellers), and come the Sunday they were sat in their CV at the top of the Hill of Death watching Glastonbury on the TV all day. Sad but true.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I always find it’s those who don’t like camping which don’t like Glastonbury.

I find it funny when people expect the two to be different. It makes me wonder what the perception of Glastonbury is to those who have never been? 

I'm the opposite. I despise camping but love Glastonbury. Festivals are the only time I tolerate sleeping in a tent. A week in a campsite in Wales would make me a grumpy miserable bitch 

My wife’s friend came with us in I think it 97 , it pissed it down she was begging me to take her home every day , I didn’t , she hated it , she hated the mud and the rain ,she has never been to any festival since and she says she never will , and my mate took 2 friends I think it was 98 and after 2 days he has to take them home they hated it that much , to Rainy and muddy  for them both 

Edited by PetePie

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I had a friend who went in 2015 when I couldn't get a ticket. She did NOT have a good time and came back saying it definitely wasn't for her. To be fair she was chronically jetlagged (having flown back from a month in Thailand on the Tuesday) and had originally got tickets with her bf and subsequently broken up in the interim so I think those might have had an impact...but she swears she won't go back

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I had a friend who went in 2015 when I couldn't get a ticket. She did NOT have a good time and came back saying it definitely wasn't for her. To be fair she was chronically jetlagged (having flown back from a month in Thailand on the Tuesday) and had originally got tickets with her bf and subsequently broken up in the interim so I think those might have had an impact...but she swears she won't go back

If you were a real friend you would have got a ticket

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Particularly @kalifire, who I'm still going to buy a pint for his kindness I'd I ever meet the good chap.

Too kind. I’ll take it ?

Yeah that fella had spent most of the year on eFests before his first Glastonbury and the hype became a pressure he put on himself to get something out of every moment. When a couple of things didn’t fall into place early on, his inner critic lambasted him for not having a good time like he thought he was supposed to. 

As many were posting about how fantastic it was to be back, this poor guy couldn’t relate and that increased the sense of disconnect between his visions of Glastonbury and the reality he was experiencing. And that in turn fuelled the self-critical voice within. I did what I could but it was a sad time for him and by Thursday he was on the train home. 

Since then I’ve been minded to advise newbies, particularly those going solo, not to give themselves a hard time if it takes a while to connect with the festival, and that everyone’s experience is different. The goal is to enjoy in the way that resonates most with you. If that doesn’t tally with the most common experiences you read about, it doesn’t matter in the slightest. It’s not a competition.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 13

My mate has said he'll never go back. He went to 2010, 13 and 16. Finds it too big, too much hard work and would rather go to smaller festivals. I completely get this and can't fault his point of view to be honest. I fully understand why it's not for some people.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I find it funny when people expect the two to be different. It makes me wonder what the perception of Glastonbury is to those who have never been? 

I love the festival but don't like camping. I will never camp at a festival ever again.

46 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Too kind. I’ll take it ?

Yeah that fella had spent most of the year on eFests before his first Glastonbury and the hype became a pressure he put on himself to get something out of every moment. When a couple of things didn’t fall into place early on, his inner critic lambasted him for not having a good time like he thought he was supposed to. 

As many were posting about how fantastic it was to be back, this poor guy couldn’t relate and that increased the sense of disconnect between his visions of Glastonbury and the reality he was experiencing. And that in turn fuelled the self-critical voice within. I did what I could but it was a sad time for him and by Thursday he was on the train home. 

Since then I’ve been minded to advise newbies, particularly those going solo, not to give themselves a hard time if it takes a while to connect with the festival, and that everyone’s experience is different. The goal is to enjoy in the way that resonates most with you. If that doesn’t tally with the most common experiences you read about, it doesn’t matter in the slightest. It’s not a competition.

That's a perfect, considerate and most importantly understanding description of anxiety. I remember that day. You were a true Glastonbury spirit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One year on the Weds evening it was a wet and muddy one we were sitting in West Holts eating a pie minister pie and a girl who had obviously just arrived with her stuff was next to us on the phone to her mum asking to be picked up as it was too muddy to pitch a tent. She was crying and looked so miserable. I did feel a sorry for her as I don’t think she could find her friends and it was getting dark. ?

One of our group who came  in 2016 found it very difficult.  Not just the weather but the chaotic nature of the festival, especially  when the Sun goes down. 

I think you have to have a good relationship with spontaneity and the  unpredictable to enjoy the festival.

200,000 people with altered consciousness together for 5 days is a lot to take if you don't surrender to a post-rational perspective pretty easily.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I hate camping but I love Glastonbury so I make an exception for 5 days. I hate the trek from the car but once all set up it’s ok. I hate the walk up the hill of death so I don’t think I would bother with a campervan or the trek up to WV. I like being on site so I can have a rest or pop back to the tent to change. I have only ever camped at Glastonbury ( 20 times) and 3 Latitudes. Am 60 next June so keep saying it will probably be my last one but then I have been saying that every year. A relative managed it twice 2007 and 2009 but decided it wasn’t for her. She loves music but couldn’t cope with the loos or the rain.! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sedra said:

One year on the Weds evening it was a wet and muddy one we were sitting in West Holts eating a pie minister pie and a girl who had obviously just arrived with her stuff was next to us on the phone to her mum asking to be picked up as it was too muddy to pitch a tent. She was crying and looked so miserable. I did feel a sorry for her as I don’t think she could find her friends and it was getting dark. ?

Aw mate, did you not offer her some help? 

• Like 1

If you like going to festivals you like camping. If you’re staying on site... you like camping.

When I say “hate” camping I mean those who think staying a few days in a field is below them. That they cannot have fun unless they are perfectly clean at all times.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If you like going to festivals you like camping. If you’re staying on site... you like camping.

When I say “hate” camping I mean those who think staying a few days in a field is below them. That they cannot have fun unless they are perfectly clean at all times.

I can’t identify with those people but I think it’s more than just being completely clean. There’s the level of comfort too, especially when waking up after drinking. If I ever went for one of those fancy camping options, it would be more to do with that than access to showers.

4 hours ago, Digi said:

I'm the opposite. I despise camping but love Glastonbury. Festivals are the only time I tolerate sleeping in a tent. A week in a campsite in Wales would make me a grumpy miserable bitch 

I’m the opposite, I love camping, I’ve camped in Africa, India, South America, wales? but I have absolutely no desire to ever camp at a festival ever again, once you go campervan you never go back.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I can’t identify with those people but I think it’s more than just being completely clean. There’s the level of comfort too, especially when waking up after drinking. If I ever went for one of those fancy camping options, it would be more to do with that than access to showers.

I'm too old to be fucking about putting on wellies to walk and trip over guy ropes for 10-20 mins for a middle of the night wee. Then unable to get back to sleep cos fresh air has me wide awake. 

So love the farm, take a caravan. Still not doing it for the shower. Our caravan is old. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

There was a chap on here a couple of years ago who was having a rough time at the festival. Luckily the kind people of eFests were on hand to help.

Yeah, eventually decided on going home, but I think the meet up he ended up at saved him. Poor guy seemed in real danger of doing something unfortunate as I remember.