Site changes for 2020

morph100

10 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Silver Hayes is nothing more than a walking route for me at any time.

I see it once when I walk through it to go in, and again when I walk through it to leave. I’d visit in between but there’s never been anything there I fancy seeing and it has no draw for me as an area within itself. 

I wonder what the Arcadia people will do. You’ve got to imagine it was a pretty big blow not to be able to utilise the crane aspect, which is so core to the entire new project. Almost a ‘start again’ scenario. 

The pier was good but it wasn’t finished on time and when I visited it felt a bit abandoned and inactive. 

Jesus, I’m full of helpful suggestions today, aren’t I. 

15 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The main one for me is BBC Introducing. Saw a few acts there this year but it just doesn’t feel right being in Silver Hayes. Where they put it, I have no idea. Just not where it is at the moment.

Where did it used to be?

It was up in The Park

Anyone thinking that Pangea was anything short of spectacular is wrong IMO. It was a giant rave crane with fire shooting all over the shop; how can you see that and not think this is actually quite impressive? Too much expectation absolutely impossible to meet me thinks

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I still thought the crane was pretty cool if your were under it when it moved around.

I can only see there being a few tweaks after so many changes during the fallow year.

It was cool when the crane was above you, but then it turned round to the other side and it was just a bit dull. Need more lights and stuff going on on the tower part (the projections onto the ball weren't doing it for me. IICON was way more interesting in that regard)

I think iikon needs work, it was just far too big to get any sort of atmosphere going. I understand the need for creating space and it made the SE corner much easier to get in too but it seemed to just be a bit dead the twice I went and I went once at 12 ish and once at 3.30 (when I was off my tits)

i don’t have a solution btw just would like to see it improved 

Glastonbury on sea needs to be open on the Wednesday as that is when lots of people have spare time, to be fair I think it was meant to be and they just hadn’t finished it in time. We tried to go at about 5pm on the Wednesday and sadly never got back there.

I thought Pangea was meh and nowhere near as spectacular as the spider, I’m sure it will get better but as was always the case before I’d much prefer to be in the SE corner or the Park at that time of night.

i really liked the Bimble being moved up the park, has a great night in there late Saturday 

8 hours ago, jow95 said:

Anyone thinking that Pangea was anything short of spectacular is wrong IMO. It was a giant rave crane with fire shooting all over the shop; how can you see that and not think this is actually quite impressive? Too much expectation absolutely impossible to meet me thinks

It's not that it wasn't spectacular, it just clearly wasn't as spectacular as the organizers wanted it to be, because the main aspect (the dangling moon rotating around the earth) only worked for 1 night of the festival.

I think the Pangea moon is possible bigger than it needs to be? Sure it would’ve been impressive, but I reckon a smaller moon would still do the job and be safer. I work in London and when I’m walking around I often think about the fact that skyscrapers are being built all over the place with cranes everywhere just above millions of people’s of heads. The margin for error is zero, yet it still goes one every day. I’m sure there would be a way to do that’s safe.

With Silver Hayes I think it’s a victim of its surroundings, there it’s really flat and it’s the one place where there isn’t really a horizon. I think that makes a real difference to the atmosphere compared to pretty much any other area at Glastonbury.

22 hours ago, jow95 said:

Bet the eavis’ feel very sorry for giving punters several stages and food option to walk past on their way back to the tent 

Yeah but when it gets busy/muddy it's not ideal - and must be annoying for the people trying to enjoy the stuff on there to have masses of people going back and forth.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah but when it gets busy/muddy it's not ideal - and must be annoying for the people trying to enjoy the stuff on there to have masses of people going back and forth.

This is a high quality shout. More of the complaints about Silver Hayes are from people who don't spend any time there except slowly walking through it, which obviously isn't a great association to have. I can't see how it would work but if it was its own area that wasn't also a thoroughfare then I could only see improvement in the atmosphere.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Spent a couple of hours in Silver Hayes on the Thursday this year - largely in the new Gully-Blues - and it was great.

Maybe the thoroughfare affect is exacerbated by it being the main route into the heart of the site from PGA.

I imagine the demographic of this forum doesn't really lend itself to the music at Silver Hayes either and people are probably pretty indifferent to it. Plenty of my mates have no issues with it and go there a fair bit.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the Pangea moon is possible bigger than it needs to be? Sure it would’ve been impressive, but I reckon a smaller moon would still do the job and be safer. I work in London and when I’m walking around I often think about the fact that skyscrapers are being built all over the place with cranes everywhere just above millions of people’s of heads. The margin for error is zero, yet it still goes one every day. I’m sure there would be a way to do that’s safe.

I’m 99% sure that the moon isn’t a creation of the Arcadia team. I think it was an art installation by Luke Jerram. They had it up in Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral before the festival. There was also an Earth art installation in there last year, which I’m assuming was from the same artist. 

2 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I’m 99% sure that the moon isn’t a creation of the Arcadia team. I think it was an art installation by Luke Jerram. They had it up in Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral before the festival. There was also an Earth art installation in there last year, which I’m assuming was from the same artist. 

Yeah Luke Jerram has been hanging his Earths and Moons all over the shop lately. And very nice they are too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaxPower said:

It's not that it wasn't spectacular, it just clearly wasn't as spectacular as the organizers wanted it to be, because the main aspect (the dangling moon rotating around the earth) only worked for 1 night of the festival.

I get that, obviously planning the moon and only having it up 1 night of the weekend wasn’t what they’d planned, but they did say this would be a work in progress and that we can expect this to improve over the next few years with our suggestions. Just feel we are already very spoilt, but this is a thread for site changes after all