Diana Ross

JoeyT

4 hours ago, Zacko said:

Potentially the act I'm most excited to see, that back catalogue is untouchable! 

Are we predicting a Lionel/Dolly size crowd? 

Could be the biggest yet, she's got way more hits than either Lionel or Dolly and whilst still being kitsch she has slightly less naff vibe than might put of your beard strokers.

Don't think the ballads will be a negative.  Realistically I'd say 95% of the Lionel crowd were there for Hello, All Night Long and Dancing on the Ceiling, without being put off by Three Times A Lady and We Are The World. Don't see anyone citing When You Tell Me as a reason not to rock up and go batshit to Chain Reaction.

Lionel's definitely got more of a kitsch cult following, so you may have a point there. I'm convinced Dolly was never that spoken about in general circles of festival fans before her appearance, although clearly those who knew already knew.

I reckon she'll get a pretty monster crowd.

OK that I'll probably agree with, was just comparing with Dolly and Lionel at this point.

Kylie's was definitely heaving.  Had the catalogue to back it up as well.  Lots of fun.

Although I reckon you could probably add an extra chunk of crowd for the first Legend slot following all this pandemic nonsense. People are going to be looking for a party.

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's baffling to me that anyone would miss any Legends Slot to go and see a band called something like Bogbrush and the Lads play Williams Green to an audience of a couple of dozen indie lads and Lammo.

But why watch a Legend act if it's not someone you give a shit about normally? Just to say you were there? The atmosphere is normally good I grant you but I'll be buggered if I'm watching Barry fucking Gibb squeeze out helium filled disco turds.

I'd most likely go to the Rozzle though, praying she hits us up with some Motown stuff to offset Chain Reaction. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

But why watch a Legend act if it's not someone you give a shit about normally? Just to say you were there? The atmosphere is normally good I grant you but I'll be buggered if I'm watching Barry fucking Gibb squeeze out helium filled disco turds.

I'd most likely go to the Rozzle though, praying she hits us up with some Motown stuff to offset Chain Reaction. 

I like Bazza, but this is superb 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Key word here innit.  Glasto can be an opportunity to explore stuff that isn't within your usual parameters.

Not sure I agree with the 'just to say you were there' framing. I hear it referred to a lot on here - but probably way more than it warrants compared to the number of times it actually happens.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Key word here innit.  Glasto can be an opportunity to explore stuff that isn't within your usual parameters.

Not sure I agree with the 'just to say you were there' framing. I hear it referred to a lot on here - but probably way more than it warrants compared to the number of times it actually happens.

Fair comment but I've had a great time watching small (popularity wise) bands while the legend was on.

I seriously doubt I'd have had more fun at Dolly or Kylie than I did at North Mississippi Allstars or Red Rum Club.

The time of day - and time of the weekend - helps.

You might not want to conclude your evening with some MOR favourite that your mum used to listen to - and you almost certainly wouldn't want to spend 3 figures going to see them at your local megadome with an audience of snowy-haired management consultants - but there's something about that feel on that Sunday afternoon when you're still frazzled and half cut and the sun's out and the rums out and then you start hearing songs you've known almost all of your life....

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The time of day - and time of the weekend - helps.

You might not want to conclude your evening with some MOR favourite that your mum used to listen to - and you almost certainly wouldn't want to spend 3 figures going to see them at your local megadome with an audience of snowy-haired management consultants - but there's something about that feel on that Sunday afternoon when you're still frazzled and half cut and the sun's out and the rums out and then you start hearing songs you've known almost all of your life....

Pretty much nailed why I want to see Diana.  I don't listen to her stuff much (although I'm always a sucker for a Motown collection) but I grew up listening to her as my mum is a fan, so they're all songs that are buried deep in my brain and it'll turn out I still know all the damn words.

Plus I'm always tired and emotional by mid Sunday, so a burst of feelgood nostalgia will do the double whammy of giving me a bit of a blub but also lifting me for the rest of the day.

Still depends on the artist though.  Had no such connection to Jeff Lynne or Barry Gibb so gave those a miss, but was all over Lionel and Kylie. Go figure.

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

Could be the biggest yet, she's got way more hits than either Lionel or Dolly and whilst still being kitsch she has slightly less naff vibe than might put of your beard strokers.

i tweeted her last year and asked what she would be playing... she promised to send me her set list.

im still waiting...

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Barry Gibb was the bees goddamn knees.

Chain Reaction will be a Rozzle highlight but Gibb Senior's setlist was at that level for the duration.

But that's the thing innit, all very subjective.  I look at Bazza's setlist for the day and yeah, there's obviously some disco classics in there but the Heebie Jeebies were never a big thing for me so it doesn't stand out at all.

Plus I saw him pop up with Coldplay in 2016, and I just found his voice had reached the point of parody. If you're a fan of someone you can overlook that in a live setting because you're swept up in it, but if you're middle ground it just becomes a distraction.

Edited by Quark

Yeah, kinda I guess.  In reality it's a slot like any other. It might occasionally be someone you'd crawl over broken glass to see or avoid, but more often that not it all comes down to what else is on and what the clashes are.

Certainly unlikely I'd write anyone off on the basis that it's not what I know, but in the parameters of the whole singing those songs you've known all your life vibes that draw is going to be stronger if they're songs you connect with.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe where we differ. I don't think it is. It's unique.

No you're right, not the right wording.

It's definitely a different slot as it has it's own unique vibe.  I guess I mean that you apply a decision making process to whether you want to watch it in the way you would to any other slot.

Turns out that there's the heart of a musical romantic beating under that host with most roast exterior.

I'll defo be front and centre for D-Roz though.  All over that shit.

My money's on Nile Rodgers making an appearance. Did you know he was involved in Coming Out? He's never really mentioned it before.