Diana Ross

JoeyT

★★★★☆
At what point should immortal pop queens concede that their powers are fading, retire gracefully and pass on the throne to younger contenders?

Her ominously wobbly appearance at last week’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations did not bode well, but Diana Ross was back on magisterial form at the opening night of her first European tour in three years. Despite a few minor technical gremlins, this outdoor jamboree was a soul-pop masterclass from the eerily ageless 78-year-old glamazon empress — sparkly and vintage, like musical champagne.

After racing through a glittery jewel case of Supremes classics including Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love and You Can’t Hurry Love in the first half an hour, Ross cherry-picked the rest of this sprawling set from her half-century solo career.

She may have a daunting reputation as a haughty diva but she mostly came across as warm and human in Cardiff, with flashes of self-effacing humour between songs. She wore a dazzling parade of sparkly gowns throughout the evening, each more architecturally outlandish than the last but made a running joke out of having nowhere to hook her portable microphone gizmos.

Ross was flanked by a big band, including a lively chorus of backing singers, a horn section and a virtuosic bass guitarist who made sure classic disco-era songs like the Chic-produced I’m Coming Out and Upside Down retained their compellingly funky, crunchy edge.

A pop-house remix version of If The World Just Danced, taken from her 2021 album Thank You, proved surprisingly kinetic and slippery too. Ross rolled with the rhythm, sashaying around the stage in slinky-hipped, liquid motion — a timeless icon of Studio 54 elegance. “I’m feeling that,” she beamed at the dancing crowd.

A few more syrupy arrangements veered into anodyne cruise-ship cabaret, while an extended version of I Will Survive dragged on way too long. You can hurry, love. Hardcore fans might also take issue with a handful of baffling omissions, notably the early solo hits Reach Out and Touch (Somebody’s Hand) and Touch Me in the Morning.

Ross was canny enough to include several UK chart-toppers that proved more popular in Britain than the US, notably a rollicking Chain Reaction, slightly marred by sound problems which she handled with good grace, and the silky-voiced 1970 ballad I’m Still Waiting, still luminously lovely half a century later.

After all the sparkle and swoosh, Ross finished this show in slightly anticlimactic mode, dressed down in practical top and boots, softly purring The Best Years of My Life from a seated perch. “Anybody got a chair for this elderly lady?” she quipped. “You know I’m 78 years old, right?” Maybe so, but you don’t look a day over fabulous, your majesty.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

★★★★☆
At what point should immortal pop queens concede that their powers are fading, retire gracefully and pass on the throne to younger contenders?

Her ominously wobbly appearance at last week’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations did not bode well, but Diana Ross was back on magisterial form at the opening night of her first European tour in three years. Despite a few minor technical gremlins, this outdoor jamboree was a soul-pop masterclass from the eerily ageless 78-year-old glamazon empress — sparkly and vintage, like musical champagne.

After racing through a glittery jewel case of Supremes classics including Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love and You Can’t Hurry Love in the first half an hour, Ross cherry-picked the rest of this sprawling set from her half-century solo career.

She may have a daunting reputation as a haughty diva but she mostly came across as warm and human in Cardiff, with flashes of self-effacing humour between songs. She wore a dazzling parade of sparkly gowns throughout the evening, each more architecturally outlandish than the last but made a running joke out of having nowhere to hook her portable microphone gizmos.

Ross was flanked by a big band, including a lively chorus of backing singers, a horn section and a virtuosic bass guitarist who made sure classic disco-era songs like the Chic-produced I’m Coming Out and Upside Down retained their compellingly funky, crunchy edge.

A pop-house remix version of If The World Just Danced, taken from her 2021 album Thank You, proved surprisingly kinetic and slippery too. Ross rolled with the rhythm, sashaying around the stage in slinky-hipped, liquid motion — a timeless icon of Studio 54 elegance. “I’m feeling that,” she beamed at the dancing crowd.

A few more syrupy arrangements veered into anodyne cruise-ship cabaret, while an extended version of I Will Survive dragged on way too long. You can hurry, love. Hardcore fans might also take issue with a handful of baffling omissions, notably the early solo hits Reach Out and Touch (Somebody’s Hand) and Touch Me in the Morning.

Ross was canny enough to include several UK chart-toppers that proved more popular in Britain than the US, notably a rollicking Chain Reaction, slightly marred by sound problems which she handled with good grace, and the silky-voiced 1970 ballad I’m Still Waiting, still luminously lovely half a century later.

After all the sparkle and swoosh, Ross finished this show in slightly anticlimactic mode, dressed down in practical top and boots, softly purring The Best Years of My Life from a seated perch. “Anybody got a chair for this elderly lady?” she quipped. “You know I’m 78 years old, right?” Maybe so, but you don’t look a day over fabulous, your majesty.

Sounds great 😊

Not singing ' Touch me in the morning' is sad, probably can't sing it anymore. No mention of ' Ain't no mountian' in this report either though she must have done it surely. Been listening to a lot of old Supremes / Ross stuff back ( well on the ' this is D Ross' spotify list anyway ) , and it reminded me of how much of the actual singing the other two did. Not surprising then the backing singers will do the lions share of the work. There is no way you can't recognise her voice however as it is distinctive. Don't think she ever really had ' pipes' but was the face behind the mowtown song writers. There is a great documentary series out there about Barry Gordy and the mowtown years well worth a watch.

Hmm the setlist from Cambridge is interesting for me - the songs I really Iike are all played within the first 6 tracks, and I either don't know or actively dislike the others (probably because of covers over the years coupled with it just not being my type of music at all). Might position myself to go to Fontaines after that 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

100% singing in Manchster last night

That setlist is pretty damn good as well, although I'd be way happier for her to ditch the Gloria Gaynor karaoke and chuck in Touch Me In The Morning, Reach Out and Touch, or even (and this would be a long shot) My Old Piano.

The dream would always have been Lionel rocking up for Endless Love, but ain't no way he'll be flying over from a gig in Connecticut on the Saturday to pop up for one song.

Even though he's in Ireland on that day I still half expect Nile Rodgers to parachute in just as she kicks off with I'm Coming Out, screaming as he descends from the heavens "YOU ALL MAY NOT KNOW, BUT I WROTE THIS SONG!!!!"

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

That setlist is pretty damn good as well, although I'd be way happier for her to ditch the Gloria Gaynor karaoke and chuck in Touch Me In The Morning, Reach Out and Touch, or even (and this would be a long shot) My Old Piano.

The dream would always have been Lionel rocking up for Endless Love, but ain't no way he'll be flying over from a gig in Connecticut on the Saturday to pop up for one song.

Even though he's in Ireland on that day I still half expect Nile Rodgers to parachute in just as she kicks off with I'm Coming Out, screaming as he descends from the heavens "YOU ALL MAY NOT KNOW, BUT I WROTE THIS SONG!!!!"

It's no exaggeration when I say that this would complete my Glastonbury.  The song has a special significance to me, I'd go home a very happy guy indeed. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's no exaggeration when I say that this would complete my Glastonbury.  The song has a special significance to me, I'd go home a very happy guy indeed. 

It's unlikely I know, as it doesn't show up on any of her tours on setlist.fm. 

But it was much bigger in the UK than in the US, so it might get an airing if she's doing a UK-focused set and including it alongside stuff like Chain Reaction.

We can dream!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, stuie said:

On a DR playlist this morning. She HAS to play MOP!

Been having a think about possible guest appearances from people she's worked with, and tbh it's looking like slim pickings.

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing w/The Temptations - Not happening, playing Michigan on the Sunday

Endless Love w/Lionel Richie - Pretty much zero chance, playing Fri and Sat in the US and then a break until his Vegas residency starts in August

Chain Reaction w/#RightBazza - Dunno about this one, nothing to show he's in the UK or active at the moment so probably unlikely.

Upside Down & I'm Coming Out w/Nile Rodgers - Nope, Nile's in Ireland on Sunday.

Turn Up The Sunshine w/Tame Impala - I reckon this could happen. Song's a perfect fit for a sunny afternoon, only just out, and Tame Impala were in Europe for Primavera and have more fests lined up, so I'd assume still in the area (ish).

If I was gonna bet, it'd be on Tame Impala if we get one at all.

Edited by Quark