‘Too big to sub too small to headline’

Matt42

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Secret set obviously doesn't count, and Radiohead have done the same.

During their secret set Brandon flowers did actually make a point of saying something along the lines of “They say you play the John Peel twice, when you’re on the way up, and when you’re on the way down” though, pretty much acknowledging it was a lower billing for them.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

During their secret set Brandon flowers did actually make a point of saying something along the lines of “They say you play the John Peel twice, when you’re in the way up, and when you’re in the way down” though.

He was being tongue in cheek, you see.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I really feel like a lot of people undersell how big a Depeche Mode headline set would be. I don’t know why it’s considered a risky booking!

I used to put both Depeche Mode and The Cure into this category, but since The Cure seemed to go pretty well (to put it mildly), stick Depeche Mode on the Sunday night. I'm sure they'll be fine. I believe they know how to play.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

What are peoples thoughts on Imagine Dragons? I was thinking about their 14 or 15 set, I forget which year it was. They were fairly popular at the time and since then have just gotten bigger and bigger. I reckoned they'd be too big to sub, although headlining Other might be good for them. They headlined a few festivals last/this year, one of which was co-headliner with Muse who have headlined the Pyramid recently. Not that I think they'll be there in any capacity in 2020.

Not too big to sub.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Quite a few recent(ish) headliners would be lucky to get the chance to repeat - Mumford, Kasabian, Florence, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz etc, but what next for them at Glasto? Eventually they’d have to accept their fate. 

The headline pool is too small for popular, arena-sized acts to never headline again because they aren't as big as the one time they did headline. At least one of those will headline before the next fallow year. It doesn't take rocket appliances to work out that older acts leaving the frame and there being only a tiny window for new headliners means that the ones who are already in the mix get another go.

15 minutes ago, ITK19889 said:

Liam Gallagher 

NGHFB

Stereophonics 

Foals ( Overrated for me )

Royal Blood ( Future headliners but not quite there yet couple more albums ) 

I don't think any of them are too big to sub. It's possible Foals might headline, what with the buzz around their secret set, but I they could easily sub again.

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't think any of them are too big to sub. It's possible Foals might headline, what with the buzz around their secret set, but I they could easily sub again.

I'd hate to see it but Foals could end up like Elbow. The repeated safe sub headliner

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Florence is an interesting one, obviously you never turn down headlining Glastonbury, but it painted her into a bit of a corner. If Dave Grohl hadn’t broken his leg and they’d subbed, then they could’ve headlined the other in between now and then, but now there isn’t really anywhere for them to go.

2015 was my first year and I was so excited to see foo fighters. It was almost a dream when they were announced. I went to florence and it was incredible. 

I do think had she been announced I'd have been disappointed but in  the end she blew me away. 

I think Royal Blood are there now, as is George Ezra. I love Royal Blood but I can't see them getting worldwide appeal. 0

17 hours ago, ITK19889 said:

Stereophonics 

To be honest, I think they'd be lucky to headline the Other Stage these days. They've got a fair fanbase and could pull a crowd on that stage, but Kelly Jones admitted a couple of years ago that they've been holding out to get the call to headline Glasto or Reading again, meaning they'll never play again.

19 hours ago, priest17 said:

Too tired to headline an yer too hungry to sub.

That's top tier Courteeners_posting that, I hope the other 1 and a half fans on this site rise up and applaud.

I would love Courteeners to headline just to see the meltdown commence on here. It Would be something to behold ???