‘Too big to sub too small to headline’

Matt42

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Idk I think a lot of the names are big enough to headline just fine but are for whatever reason unlikely to be offered it, and wouldn't accept a sub slot. But The Cure were widely considered to fit into that area up until last year, so I'm not really convinced it's a thing. 

Nah I never thought the cure would be a sub.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I loved the XX in 2017, but agree, they're not quite there yet, would have to do something exceptional to make the jump. 

Biffy Clyro. I know they've headline Reading and Leeds, but I could only ever seen them headline Pyramid in an incredibly dry year for bookings...

Biffy accepted that fact in 2017. They will never headline the festival.

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

No one thought they'd be a sub, but no one thought they were still popular enough to get a headline slot either. Isn't that the point of yer thread pal. 

Yeah pal sorry what I meant is that I think the cure always were popular enough for a headline slot. It just didn’t seem like the festival were interested in booking them for a long time.

Florence is an interesting one, obviously you never turn down headlining Glastonbury, but it painted her into a bit of a corner. If Dave Grohl hadn’t broken his leg and they’d subbed, then they could’ve headlined the other in between now and then, but now there isn’t really anywhere for them to go.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

They accepted never to headline the Pyramid? Astute bit of business from the Eavii there. 

They knew that if they held out for a call to headline the festival they would never play the festival again. They would rather be at the festival than ‘not’ be. 

35 minutes ago, sisco said:

Went down terribly at IOW

I was there. Seemed pretty awesome form where I was.

DM headlined the London stadium in '17. I think that's big enough to count as a Pyramid headliner. And yes, they are great live, and yes, they do have as many big hits as The Cure.

46 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Maybe I’m doing Depeche and the lads a disservice but they don’t have anywhere near the same number of recognisable songs The Cure have, do they? 

not good enough of a list? The thing is getting them to agree on a set thats not focused on a new album. They only did that on the singles tour in 2001, so its feasible of them doing a set thats 75% songs people will know with some newer songs they like. Maybe im biased because when they come to where i live we are spoiled rotten by them ( los angeles ) just like germany.

Enjoy The Silence

Everything Counts

Personal Jesus

People Are People

Just Cant Get Enough

Never Let Me Down Again

thats not even going into the second tier of songs that people know by them or newer singles from the 2000’s

Stripped

Strangelove

Behind The Wheel

Blasphemous Rumors

Shake The Disease

Policy Of Truth

Master and Servant

Somebody

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I was there. Seemed pretty awesome form where I was.

DM headlined the London stadium in '17. I think that's big enough to count as a Pyramid headliner. And yes, they are great live, and yes, they do have as many big hits as The Cure.

Well they felt it went down terribly anyway

47 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Nine Inch Nails... Although yes, very possible to argue that they're just plain not pyramid material

Would be a perfect Other Stage headliner, the NIN live show is absolutely the best one out there.

Depeche Mode were fine in Madrid, on a par with the Cure I'd say, so if one would headline, so would the other.

Edited by robillustrates

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I reckon Kasabian would struggle now and I’m a fan. Their best stuff is definitely behind them now but I can’t see them ever accepting a sub slot. 

Kasabian need some new anthems to cement another visit to the top of the Glasto bill, still easily can headline the majority of festivals though.

Still feel bad that Dizzee never got his shot at headlining when he was huge in the past. especially around 09/10 kinda time.

Edited by robillustrates
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

What are peoples thoughts on Imagine Dragons? I was thinking about their 14 or 15 set, I forget which year it was. They were fairly popular at the time and since then have just gotten bigger and bigger. I reckoned they'd be too big to sub, although headlining Other might be good for them. They headlined a few festivals last/this year, one of which was co-headliner with Muse who have headlined the Pyramid recently. Not that I think they'll be there in any capacity in 2020.

They subbed RHCP in 2016 but i couldnt get into it. They could play the Pyramid or high Other stage easily though. I wouldn't say they were higher than a sub at best on the Pyramid.

19 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

not good enough of a list? The thing is getting them to agree on a set thats not focused on a new album. They only did that on the singles tour in 2001, so its feasible of them doing a set thats 75% songs people will know with some newer songs they like. Maybe im biased because when they come to where i live we are spoiled rotten by them ( los angeles ) just like germany.

Enjoy The Silence

Everything Counts

Personal Jesus

People Are People

Just Cant Get Enough

Never Let Me Down Again

thats not even going into the second tier of songs that people know by them or newer singles from the 2000’s

Stripped

Strangelove

Behind The Wheel

Blasphemous Rumors

Shake The Disease

Policy Of Truth

Master and Servant

Somebody

I know 3 of those songs. 

Quite a few recent(ish) headliners would be lucky to get the chance to repeat - Mumford, Kasabian, Florence, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz etc, but what next for them at Glasto? Eventually they’d have to accept their fate. 

The Manics were back at Glasto within years of their ‘99 Pyramid headline slot, happy to slide down the billing, last seen third down on the Other in 2014

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Quite a few recent(ish) headliners would be lucky to get the chance to repeat - Mumford, Kasabian, Florence, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz etc, but what next for them at Glasto? Eventually they’d have to accept their fate. 

The Manics were back at Glasto within years of their ‘99 Pyramid headline slot, happy to slide down the billing, last seen third down on the Other in 2014

I think they all know that sliding down the lineups is an irreversible decision. You don’t headline, go down and go back up to headline again.