‘Too big to sub too small to headline’

Matt42

This is a concept we’ve been throwing around with a few acts recently. It seems a fair few acts fit this mould pretty well. I think with the expansion of the festival scene (especially the smaller festivals), we have a few bands who would headline anywhere else - but probably not at Glastonbury.

The Strokes are a good example of this. They are absolutely a festival headliner at anything they play at and have proven their worth. However, put them at the top of the Glasto bill and it would look like a weak booking/you’d probably get a fair few festival goers scratching their heads. If they subbed instead it would be an incredibly strong booking by the organisers / too ambitious and unlikely the band would accept the slot. Hence, a catch 22 emerges which often results in a lot of bands not playing the festival.

Florence is another one. She has not (really) cemented herself as a UK festival headliner. I for one thought after Glasto she would be taking R&L, IOW, T in the Park by storm.... but it never happened. However, if she was booked as a sub it would make 2015 look a bit naff and probably hurt her future bookings.

Because of this lacuna it means there are a lot of bands who simply won’t play the festival again/ever. This is why I wish a Thursday night headliner was in the equation because we could get some great bookings, and there would be less stress to have 3 huge mega stars to bookend every night. European festivals have already followed suit.

Who else genuinely occupies this category? Don’t say Nick Cave because there’s a high chance he will just sub again. He’s not become a headline or nothing act!

3 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I think Depeche Mode would fall into this category and Florence, as you say. 

I really feel like a lot of people undersell how big a Depeche Mode headline set would be. I don’t know why it’s considered a risky booking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I really feel like a lot of people undersell how big a Depeche Mode headline set would be. I don’t know why it’s considered a risky booking!

I guess you could have said the same about The Cure, who proceeded to welly it into the sky.  Post-Bob they look like a solid winner.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I guess you could have said the same about The Cure, who proceeded to welly it into the sky.  Post-Bob they look like a solid winner.

Maybe I’m doing Depeche and the lads a disservice but they don’t have anywhere near the same number of recognisable songs The Cure have, do they? 

Just now, Rubber Soldier said:

Maybe I’m doing Depeche and the lads a disservice but they don’t have anywhere near the same number of recognisable songs The Cure have, do they? 

Debatable, I think.  Definitely got a few huge crossover jams in their repertoire. They wouldn't intentionally leave out their biggest hit either.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Really? That’s a shame.

Are they good live? I always feel like it would be a set similar to the cure where all the fans would come out the woodwork if they were ever booked. Shame.

I’d say they’re very decent live.  Unfortunately they were very disappointed with the crowd (from the horses mouth).  

I know they’ve been asked a number of times to headline but for a band who dislike each other it’s all about the money. 

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’d say they’re very decent live.  Unfortunately they were very disappointed with the crowd (from the horses mouth).  

I know they’ve been asked a number of times to headline but for a band who dislike each other it’s all about the money. 

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Lovecats is rubbish anyway. 

And they left it off and were still absolutely astounding in every way. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

Idk I think a lot of the names are big enough to headline just fine but are for whatever reason unlikely to be offered it, and wouldn't accept a sub slot. But The Cure were widely considered to fit into that area up until last year, so I'm not really convinced it's a thing. 

What are peoples thoughts on Imagine Dragons? I was thinking about their 14 or 15 set, I forget which year it was. They were fairly popular at the time and since then have just gotten bigger and bigger. I reckoned they'd be too big to sub, although headlining Other might be good for them. They headlined a few festivals last/this year, one of which was co-headliner with Muse who have headlined the Pyramid recently. Not that I think they'll be there in any capacity in 2020.