How Glastonbury Started

Avalon_Fields

I don’t think the recent death of Freddy Bannister has been mentioned here, but he deserves recognition.

He was responsible for the Bath Festival of Blues (Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, etc). Michael Eavis was at the second one, and this festival inspired him to organise the first Glastonbury festival later that year. If it wasn’t for Freddy....

He also did Knebworth in the seventies (The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd), two of which were my first festival experiences. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I don’t think the recent death of Freddy Bannister has been mentioned here, but he deserves recognition.

He was responsible for the Bath Festival of Blues (Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, etc). Michael Eavis was at the second one, and this festival inspired him to organise the first Glastonbury festival later that year. If it wasn’t for Freddy....

He also did Knebworth in the seventies (The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd), two of which were my first festival experiences. 

I will second that 

• Upvote 1

I owe a lot of my musical journey to Freddy.  His Bath Pavillion gigs in the late sixties introduced me to US West Coast music and my first festivals were his Bath Festival of Blues in 69 and 70.  What's amazing is how many of those bands from 50 years ago are still around in one form or another and are bands we'd still like to see at Glastonbury now.

Image result for bath blues festival 1969  Image result for bath blues festival 1969

• Like 1