For the first time in four years....

Hugh Jass

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Well yes, but this time it will be the mens Euros which is why it isn't 4 years since we've discussed it.

I thought the 4 years was because 2 years ago was the fallow year so we didn't have to do this for the last men's World Cup but the OP was forgetting about the Lionesses.

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I thought the 4 years was because 2 years ago was the fallow year so we didn't have to do this for the last men's World Cup but the OP was forgetting about the Lionesses.

Being the idiot I am I completely forgot the name of the thread which is why my initial reply probably made no sense, sorry :lol: 

Edited by DareToDibble

37 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hoping they don't show it, being at the Pyramid with not very many others that sunday in 2010 was disappointing .... but how do you know what group England are in? I thought qualifying was still going on?

It is but as we're co-hosting it (along with several other countries), England's group games would be at Wembley, so we'd be in Group D.

39 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Not sure how this makes any sense. The World Cup being on at IoW both years I attended added so much to the atmosphere.

Because England won!

Had they lost, I wonder how much that would have added to the atmosphere...?

I guess my point is, do you want to go to a music festival or watch football? It's nice that some festivals put it on, but we're getting to the point where football fans seem to feel that a festival is duty-bound to show England matches. If you absolutely can't bear to miss the match, you probably won't enjoy being at a festival that isn't showing it. And if you're the kind of person that's going to be in a sour mood all day when England get knocked out, then you're going to affect other people's enjoyment too.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Because England won!

Had they lost, I wonder how much that would have added to the atmosphere...?

I guess my point is, do you want to go to a music festival or watch football? It's nice that some festivals put it on, but we're getting to the point where football fans seem to feel that a festival is duty-bound to show England matches. If you absolutely can't bear to miss the match, you probably won't enjoy being at a festival that isn't showing it. And if you're the kind of person that's going to be in a sour mood all day when England get knocked out, then you're going to affect other people's enjoyment too.

I'd like to do both and as every festival which has coincided with these tournaments has proven, it's not unreasonable. ?

9 minutes ago, doogie said:

Yes, unless England come 3rd in their group in which case there's a chance they'd play on the Sunday

So what's the expectation here? If this happens, does the festival put it on? Do they assign a dedicated field just for it? Do they have a gap in the West Holts schedule on the off-chance?

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

So what's the expectation here? If this happens, does the festival put it on? Do they assign a dedicated field just for it? Do they have a gap in the West Holts schedule on the off-chance?

It doesn't get shown.

The most recent precedent (as announced ahead of both the 2014 and 2016 festivals) is that they're no longer showing any games that clash with the main stages. I don't think they ever had the situation in the end, as the games didn't happen on those days, but there's no reason to think it'll be any different next year.

It's the correct decision too - I was one of the mugs who chose to watch the game on Sunday afternoon in 2010. Probably remains the worst decision I ever made at the festival, and that's bearing in mind I skipped seeing Stevie Wonder that same day.

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't think they'd go to the expense of renting a special field for something that probably won't happen. Also it's very unlikely they'd show the game if it clashed with the headliner (anyone who needs to see it may as well head home early).

So all in all I reckon it's highly unlikely they'll show the football whatever happens.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are they showing the football?

(Sorry, someone had to do it...)

Checks Thingy.

I think this may be the earliest yet that we've had one of these threads created.

Well done/Badly done 

*delete as applicable

2 hours ago, Troop Dogg said:

That Foos show was insane, 18 year old me caked in mud, pissing with rain, massive steam cloud above the pit, and the band were at their best doing just the debut album and the Colour and the Shape tracks. One of my favourite Glasto memories ever.

I only watched this yesterday, such an incredible band.

In regards to football I am a big football fan but I wouldn’t waste my time watching a crap England team whilst at Glastonbury. 

Edited by lukethekid
  • Like 1

I am a massive football fan but after 2010 I realised that if England win there’ll be a more important game to watch when you get home, & if they lose you’ll definitely wish you hadn’t wasted any Glastonbury on it.

On the other hand, I have mostly really enjoyed the experience of football watching at Glastonbury. Its nice to watch football in an environment where people aren’t so angry. Even in 2010 everyone was pretty gutted, but I didn’t see anyone raging like I would have done with that result if they were at the game itself.

I love Aston Villa but it is really tiring being next to people who think their job as a fan is to be annoyed and angry with everything that goes wrong!