Unique IPs on T day

morph100

How many unique IPs on T Day did you control?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. How many unique IPs on T Day did you control?

• 2-3
    • 3-4
    • 5-7
    • 7-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20+

6 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Bit of a rookie question but do you use a different IP address for each device? Or do you have a way of using different ip addresses for different browsers on one device. And what’s the recommended auto refresh app these days?

I used different devices - three laptops and a phone, with one laptop on my broadband and two on two different hotspots. 

I only used autorefresh on one...and just the simple Google extension. I was cautious and set it to 3 seconds and it was the one that got through (after about 20 mins or something). I will definitely use it again next time - I think it really comes into its own at the end when everyone is losing their shit (including me)

12 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I used different devices - three laptops and a phone, with one laptop on my broadband and two on two different hotspots. 

I only used autorefresh on one...and just the simple Google extension. I was cautious and set it to 3 seconds and it was the one that got through (after about 20 mins or something). I will definitely use it again next time - I think it really comes into its own at the end when everyone is losing their shit (including me)

Question - when you used auto refresh how do you stop it refreshing the page when you get through? Is it easy and quick to stop? Or just linked to a specific URL?

Thanks 

37 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

Question - when you used auto refresh how do you stop it refreshing the page when you get through? Is it easy and quick to stop? Or just linked to a specific URL?

Thanks 

I was quite worried about this...which is partly why I set it to 3 seconds rather than faster. A super techy colleague had told me you needed to get the autorefresh to stop when it saw a particular word (e.g. registration) but the Google autorefresh extension didn't have that option. However, when it found the page, I didn't actually get to it to "stop" the refresh in time, and it just refreshed on to the reg page, rather than refreshing out of it and back to the holding page. And thank fuck for that!!

• Like 1

Reading this thread with some interest.  My group totally failed to get tickets this year despite always being lucky on previous sales but one of our groups friends managed to bag 16 tickets in total from the same computer which they put down to having set up their server which, and this is the bit I have no idea what the relevance is, sat on the Dark web.  I know it's a bit hearsay and I have a friend of a friend story but, end of the day, they bagged  three ticket buying sessions where as we saw diddly squat.  Same token, work colleague got 4 tickets at the very end of sale through, like most of us, perseverance and luck.

12 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Reading this thread with some interest.  My group totally failed to get tickets this year despite always being lucky on previous sales but one of our groups friends managed to bag 16 tickets in total from the same computer which they put down to having set up their server which, and this is the bit I have no idea what the relevance is, sat on the Dark web.  I know it's a bit hearsay and I have a friend of a friend story but, end of the day, they bagged  three ticket buying sessions where as we saw diddly squat.  Same token, work colleague got 4 tickets at the very end of sale through, like most of us, perseverance and luck.

I got through 3 times on home WiFi with a laptop held together with tape, at the same time I had multiple other machines (laptops, ipads, phones etc)  set up on various other networks and they didn't get past the queue. my theory is the older and more knackered your device the better chance you have ? 

Just now, morph100 said:

I got through 3 times on home WiFi with a laptop held together with tape, at the same time I had multiple other machines (laptops, ipads, phones etc)  set up on various other networks and they didn't get past the queue. my theory is the older and more knackered your device the better chance you have ? 

Yep, I once got in on some crappy Netbook (remember them) on a B&B's ropey Wi-Fi where they gave you a Powerline adapter if "we want Wi-Fi in our room".

End of the day, there will always likely be an element of workarounds to give you an advantage  which, if we were aware of, we would take advantage of but the majority of sales seems to just be luck that you refresh and hit a vacant session in the same split second.  Unless people are cleaning up a large percentage of tickets through "questionable" means (which I doubt) the whole process is likely as fair as it ever can be.

There seems to be a connection that for a few, once you’ve bagged tickets, you get through again on the same device and sometimes more than once. Maybe a cookie in your browser that hasn’t fully expired pointing you to a less busy registration page server. 

this happened to us last year,  few PC’s on the go, 1 got through, 5mins later same pc got through again. 

Edited by TheGoodWillOut
Spelling

12 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

There seems to be a connection that for a few, once you’ve bagged tickets, you get through again on the same device and sometimes more than once.

that's just how 'random' rolls - there will be some people that has the extreme happen to them.

Remember, (with all things being equal) at all moments all people trying have exactly the same chance of getting through - the fact that you got through 5 minutes earlier doesn't come into it.

There's nothing average about random.

50 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's just how 'random' rolls - there will be some people that has the extreme happen to them.

Remember, (with all things being equal) at all moments all people trying have exactly the same chance of getting through - the fact that you got through 5 minutes earlier doesn't come into it.

Yeah, deep down I know but when you hit failure you always look at reasons why... and blame technology ! ?

18 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

You can see it in action now.

Go to glastonbury.seetickets.com and refresh more than 60 times a minute and you’ll see the holding page we all knew and loved last Sunday, however good or bad it ended for you.

I really wish it would give you a "you have been blocked" message rather than exactly the same page as the holding page.

4 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

I really wish it would give you a "you have been blocked" message rather than exactly the same page as the holding page.

I'm not sure there's any difference. This 60+ refresh a minute Busy msg and the one you see on ticket day are a result of the same thing:  the load balancer doing its job protecting the web servers at the back end from becoming overloaded by limiting the number of incoming connections.

If you keep refreshing that busy page you'll see it will still take you back to the regular site once it's kept you at bay on the holding page for a few seconds.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

There's nothing random about random. True random-ness is impossible to generate - there are always external paramaters affecting the outcome. Myself I don't believe the system is truely random, however I do believe its as random as it can be given the contraints on its design.

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Myself I don't believe the system is truely random

it can't be, there's no such thing as random from computers; the random process always has be seeded somehow.

It can, however, be as random as computers can manage to be - and we've no evidence or knowledge of it being different to that (after stuff like the 1 second refresh rule, etc, has been implemented).

But the point I was making was really about probabilities rather than random.

If it's (say) one in a thousand chance of getting thru with any refresh at any moment, then it's still a one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought one batch of tickets, and still a one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought a 2nd batch of tickets, and still one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought a 3rd batch of tickets, etc, etc, etc.

So it's no surprise whatsoever that some people get thru a number of times while some people don't get thru the once.

Edited by eFestivals

This is a great thread, after being unsuccessful with tickets in this sale I feel like I need to get more tech savvy! It's interesting to see some of the conventional wisdom questioned, such as unique IPs, multiple browsers etc.

I guess the ultimate question is how can you refresh the booking page at a rate that guarantees success without them identifying the request is from an individual person? 

18 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

This is a great thread, after being unsuccessful with tickets in this sale I feel like I need to get more tech savvy! It's interesting to see some of the conventional wisdom questioned, such as unique IPs, multiple browsers etc.

it might feel like you need to be more tech savvy from the techie words used in this thread, but - the evidence strongly suggests - that's not the case beyond connecting your device(s) to one (or more) network and being able to use a webbrowser.

As each year goes by there's more anecdotal evidence, and as far as I'm thinking that anecdotal evidence is more suggestive of nothing more than random luck as the evidence accumulates.

The slight problem here is that we don't know what changes might have been to See's system as the years go by, and it could be changes there that give the impression of random over the years, when it's not.

However, it's likely that nowadays their set-up is 'mature' and any changes there might be between years get smaller in their impact - so it's a fair conclusion to think these aren't really coming into it (unless there's a dramatic change one year in what people say of their experiences).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it can't be, there's no such thing as random from computers; the random process always has be seeded somehow.

It can, however, be as random as computers can manage to be - and we've no evidence or knowledge of it being different to that (after stuff like the 1 second refresh rule, etc, has been implemented).

But the point I was making was really about probabilities rather than random.

If it's (say) one in a thousand chance of getting thru with any refresh at any moment, then it's still a one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought one batch of tickets, and still a one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought a 2nd batch of tickets, and still one in a thousand chance of getting thru after you've bought a 3rd batch of tickets, etc, etc, etc.

So it's no surprise whatsoever that some people get thru a number of times while some people don't get thru the once.

Yes, there is also a tendancy I feel sometimes that some people confuse statistical definitions of probability as somehow affecting the outcome simply by virtue of being calculated. Someone getting 24 tix and someone getting none with the same process and effort is still perfectly possible, just statistically very improbable.

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Someone getting 24 tix and someone getting none with the same process and effort is still perfectly possible, just statistically very improbable.

it's statistically less-likely, but not improbable to get multiple tickets.

Getting thru 24 times would be out-of-the-park extreme tho, because it's a time-limited process with a finite number of attempts within that timeframe.

(and also, the number of people making multiple attempts reduces as the time passes, as groups drop out having got all of their multi-group tickets - so 24 times is unlikely from few triers for 24 times).

Getting thru 3 times is very clearly not an extreme for someone from everyone* within the system parameters, as every year there's a number of people saying that's what happened.
(* it is of course a big extreme on an individual basis; the chance of me being the one to get thru 3 times is tiny).

And the reason why getting thru 3 times isn't an extreme is because your chances of getting thru a 2nd time are not reduced by having got thru a first time - just as throwing a 6 on a dice one time does not reduce the chances of throwing a 6 the second time.

For each throw the probability is one in six, and the result of previous throws doesn't change it from one in six.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it might feel like you need to be more tech savvy from the techie words used in this thread, but - the evidence strongly suggests - that's not the case beyond connecting your device(s) to one (or more) network and being able to use a webbrowser.

As each year goes by there's more anecdotal evidence, and as far as I'm thinking that anecdotal evidence is more suggestive of nothing more than random luck as the evidence accumulates.

The slight problem here is that we don't know what changes might have been to See's system as the years go by, and it could be changes there that give the impression of random over the years, when it's not.

However, it's likely that nowadays their set-up is 'mature' and any changes there might be between years get smaller in their impact - so it's a fair conclusion to think these aren't really coming into it (unless there's a dramatic change one year in what people say of their experiences).

I guess when I say tech Savvy I basically mean more tickets in the draw so to speak. Surely if someone set up 100 computers on auto refresh with different IPs that would near guarantee a ticket. There must be ways to increase your chances?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

multiple devices on different networks seems to be the only way.

But even then it doesn't mean you'll get a ticket. Either your luck is in or it's not.

Exactly this.  The current process makes it very much a game of 'chance' rather than straight luck.  The more chances you have the more likely you are to be lucky.  A ballot however would be pure luck (assuming it's not possible to enter more than once).

17 hours ago, windy_miller said:

That just allows someone to devise an app that will circumvent the block. The reason this was rolled out in the first place was because of the GlastoApp designed to hammer the site on ticket day.