Unique IPs on T day

morph100

How many unique IPs on T Day did you control?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. How many unique IPs on T Day did you control?

• 2-3
    • 3-4
    • 5-7
    • 7-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20+

2 hours ago, morph100 said:

Here’s a poll for successful people...

You do know that that sounds like an article you'd find in some corporate sales magazine, don't you?

Anyway, I'm afraid that I couldn't answer your poll, even if I vaguely considered myself to be successful. The reason for this is that I haven't got a clue how many IP's I controlled on T Day. I doubt if I controlled any, if truth be known. I rather suspect that it was  'they' who controlled me - and made me do all those bad things.

52 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

makes no difference. 

I have 5 unique IPs with my broadband package, with 4 of them only ever used trying for glasto tickets. I didn't have better luck using them than not using them.

That doesn't in itself prove anything, as it's much too small a sample. 

But if it's true that it doesn't make a difference, we're tearing up the eFests rulebook of ticket buying wisdom! ?

I work in IT and had about 8 uniques, spead over various leased lines, remote desktops to servers in parts of the uk, virtual instances on Amazon S3, a few broadbands and two phones as hotspots - didn't get a bean, got the holding page on one of the leased lines, nothing loaded on any of the others.

The person in pur group who got tickets was sat in his lounge on his iPhone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billum said:

That doesn't in itself prove anything, as it's much too small a sample. 

it's a sample tried over a number of years when I didn't see the booking page at all ... and this year when I used just one of those IPs I got thru and booked.

While that may not "prove" anything, I'd say it's the best evidence we have that it makes no difference, and can be put alongside plenty of others who've tried doing similar (including some posts i've seen for this year, including the one directly above).

But if it's true that it doesn't make a difference, we're tearing up the eFests rulebook of ticket buying wisdom! ?

Not quite.

There's different IPs and then there's different ISPs. The majority are trying with different ISPs to get a 2nd (or more) IP address (usually their mobile for the 2nd).

A different ISP is likely to have a different way of routing the traffic - and that different routing might give an advantage because one routes through OK and the other doesn't.

The IP address itself isn't likely to make a difference (unless someone is unlucky enough to get an IP address that's been blacklisted).

Edited by eFestivals

So the million dollar question which we never seem to get a definitive answer it is what gives us the advantage over others in getting tickets. Although I missed out this year, I have managed to get tickets every year since 2004, that couldn't be down to luck alone could it? I only ever use 1 ISP and I...

1. Use 3 or 4 computers and a tablet

2. Use multiple different browsers, IE, Chrome, Firefox on each computer

3. Have multiple windows (12) open on each computer. Have then all  preloaded and positioned with the rticket buying screen loaded

4. Throttle each window with F5 continuously

5. Have everything written down ready to key in if the reg screen appears on one

What is it that was working up to know compared with others? F5? I though that didnt help either?

Really keen to know what people think

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's a sample tried over a number of years when I didn't see the booking page at all ... and this year when I used just one of those IPs I got thru and booked.

While that may not "prove" anything, I'd say it's the best evidence we have that it makes no difference, and can be put alongside plenty of others who've tried doing similar (including some posts i've seen for this year, including the one directly above).

Fair enough!

20 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

that couldn't be down to luck alone could it?

yep, cos that's how 'luck' - for this process, it's really randomness -  works.

If lots of people roll a dice 6 times, some people will roll 6 sixes.

(lots of devices & tabs quite possibly increased your chances, tho).

Edited by eFestivals

38 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I work in IT and had about 8 uniques, spead over various leased lines, remote desktops to servers in parts of the uk, virtual instances on Amazon S3, a few broadbands and two phones as hotspots - didn't get a bean, got the holding page on one of the leased lines, nothing loaded on any of the others.

Apart from the Amazon, very similar here. Had 7 unique IPs across 6 ISP's and multiple machines. I got the holding page on about 50% of them, but no further. 

It was the newbie in the group (of 4) with her laptop tethered to her phone that got through after about 10 minutes.

Actually this was the first year I looked at the array of computers spread around me (plus remotes) and wondered if it was too many as it was difficult to manage them all.

I’ve never failed to get tickets In the main sale since year 2000, however it’s worth remembering that it only got difficult in the last few years (in my opinion).

used lots of IPs but it’s always my home broadband that gets through so think it’s best concentrating on that.

I had multiple IPs and based on my failure this year and success (or not) in previous years this factor made b*gger all difference.

Plenty of years I've had multiple addresses and someone else using an Ipad over 3g succeeded instead.

It's nice of you to definitively eliminate it though :D 

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It's nice of you to definitively eliminate it though :D 

I dunno about 'definitively', but I reckon there's plenty of anecdotal here over a number of years that says there's no noticeable advantage from using multiple IP addresses.

There's of course lots of people who think it makes a difference, but people always look to explain how-come they managed to do what others couldn't - when the reality is that when tickets are oversubscribed there'll always be some who couldn't.

Surely even if it is just luck, the more windows open you have, the more stabs at "luck" you get? Whether you need each window or device to be in a different IP seems murky though....

My anecdotal evidence is that this year I used multiple IPs with no more than one window on each, and I got through on one. Looks in favour of multiple IPs. But I also used a 3 second auto refresh on one and it was that which got through. 

I think autorefresh becomes more useful towards the end of the sale...when everyone's going crazy and there are WhatsApps flying all over the place as people try and work out who still needs tickets. I'd stopped manually refreshing as steadily and then up pops the reg page on my auto refresh. On my Mac too, which in about ten previous sales has failed to do anything of note.

In conclusion...I don't know. 

Edited by Sasperella

I had thought multiple IPs give you multiple chances of 60 refreshes per second, so give you the best chance (still luck but more chances of said luck). No idea how to get multiple IPs however (besides mobile, work, home etc). 

I think multiple tabs / browsers on same IP will just lock you out as you will easily go over 60 refreshes per second. 

Obviously none of us really have a clue. 

6 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

I had thought multiple IPs give you multiple chances of 60 refreshes per second, so give you the best chance (still luck but more chances of said luck). No idea how to get multiple IPs however (besides mobile, work, home etc). 

I think multiple tabs / browsers on same IP will just lock you out as you will easily go over 60 refreshes per second. 

Obviously none of us really have a clue. 

That's correct.

See's rate limiting is based on IP address (possibly amongst other things, but I've seen no evidence for anything else). Therefor, assuming each connection is making successful requests, more IP addresses allow you to make more requests per minute before you are limited/redirected.

52 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Surely even if it is just luck, the more windows open you have, the more stabs at "luck" you get? Whether you need each window or device to be in a different IP seems murky though....

My anecdotal evidence is that this year I used multiple IPs with no more than one window on each, and I got through on one. Looks in favour of multiple IPs. But I also used a 3 second auto refresh on one and it was that which got through. 

I did the same as you and didn't succeed, indeed only one of them consistently even kept the queuing page, others showed it, but then went on to error.  

None of them even got to enter reg details let alone payment - same experience Thursday too.