First time , opinions on camping at wicket ground

Mark0

Hiya 

This will be my first Glasto and im bringing my 15 year old daughter who has type 1 diabetes , I was thinking about pitching up at the family area on the wicket ground and was wondering if anyone had done so and if it was a god idea as ive heard Cockmill meadow (would maybe be better as its next to the medical centre) gets full very quick.

Any other tips would be great as well , we are coming from Brighton and have a coach ticket :)

Travelled by coach and camped in Wicket Ground with 11 and 14 year olds this year. Planning same again next year.

Really close to coach station, found room for six person tent Thursday lunchtime, more secure with fencing and friendly stewards at entrance 24 hours. Quiet and good compost toilets regularly cleaned.

Only downside is you are right at one end of the site so long trek back from Park or South East corner. But nice walk back through The Woods which were beautifully lit up at night, and really handy for John Peel tent.

Cockmill Meadow is more popular with younger families as next to Kidzfield and it does have showers (and close to Pyramid stage). But it fills up fast on Wednesday and would be a trek from Gate A with all your gear.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Travelled by coach and camped in Wicket Ground with 11 and 14 year olds this year. Planning same again next year.

Really close to coach station, found room for six person tent Thursday lunchtime, more secure with fencing and friendly stewards at entrance 24 hours. Quiet and good compost toilets regularly cleaned.

Only downside is you are right at one end of the site so long trek back from Park or South East corner. But nice walk back through The Woods which were beautifully lit up at night, and really handy for John Peel tent.

Cockmill Meadow is more popular with younger families as next to Kidzfield and it does have showers (and close to Pyramid stage). But it fills up fast on Wednesday and would be a trek from Gate A with all your gear.

Fantastic , thank you for replying :)

Camped in 2008 in Wicket Ground, it was our first time, so didn’t realise it was a family camp, it’s on a slight hill so do your tent so your feet are facing down hill, and try not to camp down where it flattens out as might get boggy, we was next to a coffee van so had coffee every morning. It’s the quieter side, close to the John peel

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2019 at 9:03 PM, waynewdk said:

Camped in 2008 in Wicket Ground, it was our first time, so didn’t realise it was a family camp, it’s on a slight hill so do your tent so your feet are facing down hill, and try not to camp down where it flattens out as might get boggy, we was next to a coffee van so had coffee every morning. It’s the quieter side, close to the John peel

Wicket Ground was not family camping until 2010 I think, camped there in 2009 and remember being disappointed that it was family camping the following year.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 7:47 PM, Mark0 said:

Hiya 

This will be my first Glasto and im bringing my 15 year old daughter who has type 1 diabetes , I was thinking about pitching up at the family area on the wicket ground and was wondering if anyone had done so and if it was a god idea as ive heard Cockmill meadow (would maybe be better as its next to the medical centre) gets full very quick.

Any other tips would be great as well , we are coming from Brighton and have a coach ticket :)

ive got type 1 diabetes .....but it shouldn't restrict camping areas ... ive got a couple of frio wallets which keep my insulin cool ... google will find them ... i just make sure I have spares of everything and keep them in the lockups ... main tip is to keep checking blood sugar and reduce background insulin ... you will do a lot of walking wherever you pitch ... a freestyle libre sensor would be very useful too if she wears them ... if not it would be worth a purchase probably for peace of mind ....  any further questions give me a shout ... ive done 6 ish Glastonburys with it :) 

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive got type 1 diabetes .....but it shouldn't restrict camping areas ... ive got a couple of frio wallets which keep my insulin cool ... google will find them ... i just make sure I have spares of everything and keep them in the lockups ... main tip is to keep checking blood sugar and reduce background insulin ... you will do a lot of walking wherever you pitch ... a freestyle libre sensor would be very useful too if she wears them ... if not it would be worth a purchase probably for peace of mind ....  any further questions give me a shout ... ive done 6 ish Glastonburys with it :) 

Thank you for the advice your a star , she does have a libre sensor so all great there and as you say we will take a wallet to keep her insulin cool, I think ive come to the decision to pretty much go with the flow rather than pre med where we will camp, good to know about the lock ups as well so we can leave back ups there. 

13 minutes ago, Mark0 said:

Thank you for the advice your a star , she does have a libre sensor so all great there and as you say we will take a wallet to keep her insulin cool, I think ive come to the decision to pretty much go with the flow rather than pre med where we will camp, good to know about the lock ups as well so we can leave back ups there. 

Don’t hesitate to contact me ... pm me on here if you have any questions ? Even any issues during the fest ... I check usually first thing in the morning 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wicket Ground is a great field for a teenager. There are lots of families and solo parents with older kids there. It's also very close to John Peel, Silver Hayes and the Pyramid, which are likely to offer music she will be into. You could also look into making an application for access camping. This doesn't mean you have to camp in the access field, but it does mean you can: park closer to the festival gate for Wicket, if you are driving; use the cut-throughs between stages, which aren't open to the general festival goer; and use the access toilet facilities, which can save tired legs at times, meaning you don't have to go looking for a loo in busy areas. I was with a friend this year who used some of these facilities and it helped her energy levels and festival experience massively. Frankly, if you're driving, it's worth it for the parking alone - my friend had a ten minute walk to her car - ours was a 90 minute roundtrip. Hope all goes well and you have an amazing time together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 8:46 AM, jmarmer said:

If you'd like some help with refrigeration within Wicket Ground pm me 

That is so kind of you thnak you , I reckon we should be ok we are going to take a few freezer wallets that always done the trick but thank you for the kind offer.

@ravermum Thanks for the great info, we have a coach ticket coming from Brighton but its sounds to me like the Wicket Ground will be perfect for us to pitch up .

Edited by Mark0