Jump to content

2020 Pyramid Subs


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best Pyramid sub I've seen in 4 festivals - The XX

Presumably it would depend on whether they have an album out or not?  Every three festivals doesn't seem too often for a sub.  Didn't Elbow play 3 out of 4 festivals at that level?  I should look it u

I said that about Ed Sheeran. I said "He is the new James Blunt or Dido. He will be big, *bore the arse off of everyone and then be gone."  He is still infecting the planet & is bigger than I

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Because she's on the cusp of becoming huge. She's having 3 year old songs hitting the top 10 in America. Not too long before that success replicates over here, her music is on adverts and soundtracks everywhere. The fact she absolutely packed out West Holts despite being up against Foals and Janet Jackson. If it weren't for the Janet clash then it's likely they would have needed to have closed the West Holts field for her set.

Its just fanboy-ism that gets me though. I've seen similar people saying its too soon for Lewis Capaldi to be 3rd on the Pyramid stage. Despite having more monthly listens on Spotify than Lizzo, with Lizzos popularity being way bigger in America than Capaldi'. Has a #1 in the UK vs Lizzos #40, has only 1 song in the top 10. 

I love Lizzo and I think off a next album she will get a really good spot. 2nd/3rd on the Other stage in 2021. But saying she can sub headline the biggest festival in the UK when shes not even taking those spots in America is beyond silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Whilst I agree with those saying that LDR is not an act to get the party started, I could still see her subbing for Taylor making some sense.

I’m not sure I do. She was rolling out Glastonbury’s attempts to have her sub before. I’m not convinced that the honour of going before Taylor Swift will convince her to lower financial demands.

While we’re on it, the Noel subbing Paul because he likes him thing doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. NG has been signed up for over a year and McCartney has been agreed for about a week. With these purported Pyramid headliners being a done deal for so long, I can imagine them having also scheduled Noel as being the ‘Pyramid-sized’ Other headliner against one of those for a while too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@chazwwe  makes a fair point. I do think Lizzo is huge now but I think she’s the hardest person to place on the lineup. They could clearly capitalise on her surgence and give her a major slot or wait a bit and see where to put her. I don’t think she will be around next summer as she has toured quite heavily this year - perhaps there will be one or two very safe appearances.

Shes a high contender for a big slot in the future - but I think the Lewis Capaldi comparison isn’t quite right. Lewis is a much much much easier booking for Glastonbury to make than Lizzo. A rising UK star who played a low slot the previous year, and someone they can easily shove on the pyramid to keep the BBC and the deck chair crowd happy. He was probably asked back the moment he stepped off stage this year. He’s also already got dates days before Glastonbury. He’s booked.

Lizzo is probably coming to the end of her touring cycle. Capaldi is probably in the middle of his.

Edited by Matt42
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

But saying she can sub headline the biggest festival in the UK when shes not even taking those spots in America is beyond silly.

But I disagree with this. She will definitely be headlining US festivals. They aren’t so anal about ‘only got one album’ rules like we are. Artists with one album headline things over there all the time. If she sells enough tickets, she’s a headliner.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But I disagree with this. She will definitely be headlining US festivals. They aren’t so anal about ‘only got one album’ rules like we are. Artists with one album headline things over there all the time. If she sells enough tickets, she’s a headliner.

I don't see her headlining US festivals or even sub headlining them next year is what I'm trying to say. Let alone Glastonbury. 

I like her, I saw her at West Hotlz, she was great but I don't get the 'shes the next headliner' talk. Not yet anyway. As I've said, her next album will be huge, it'll go #1 over here and she'll probably get a few top 5 singles off of it, I just don't like the 'oh she has catchy dance pop tunes so has to sub' talk. I can see her coming back in 2021 and smashing a very high slot but not next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

But I disagree with this. She will definitely be headlining US festivals. They aren’t so anal about ‘only got one album’ rules like we are. Artists with one album headline things over there all the time. If she sells enough tickets, she’s a headliner.

Lizzo has three albums.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jackmerton said:

There is not a chance in hell Lizzo is even remotely big enough to headline Glastonbury, what is this lunacy!!! ? she’s the new Macklemore, she’ll be gone in a couple of years 

I said that about Ed Sheeran. I said "He is the new James Blunt or Dido. He will be big, *bore the arse off of everyone and then be gone."

 He is still infecting the planet & is bigger than I could ever have feared.

*Lizzo is far more entertaining than any of the above.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jackmerton said:

There is not a chance in hell Lizzo is even remotely big enough to headline Glastonbury, what is this lunacy!!! ? she’s the new Macklemore, she’ll be gone in a couple of years 

macklemore was actually pretty fun live this year at sziget

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pet Shop Boys before Kendrick.

Noel G before Macca.

LDR before Swift.

all female pyramid on sunday maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I don't see her headlining US festivals or even sub headlining them next year is what I'm trying to say. Let alone Glastonbury. 

I like her, I saw her at West Hotlz, she was great but I don't get the 'shes the next headliner' talk. Not yet anyway. As I've said, her next album will be huge, it'll go #1 over here and she'll probably get a few top 5 singles off of it, I just don't like the 'oh she has catchy dance pop tunes so has to sub' talk. I can see her coming back in 2021 and smashing a very high slot but not next year. 

Nobody is saying she should or are expecting her to be there next year. She's barely been marketed over here, if they were to re-release and properly promote her latest album and her US charting singles she'd blow up massively. She sold out Brixton Academy twice in a matter of minutes. As for US festivals she's rumoured to be headlining Bonnaroo. 

As you say she's already got a great set in her, when she goes fully mainstream and assuming she has a huge album and some big singles like you say, why can't she headline? 

I don't think she needs to be back next year, but she's clearly on a massive upward career trajectory. She's exactly the sort of act that the festival should and surely will consider as a potential headliner for 2021 assuming she carries on as she currently is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Lizzo is she’ll win over the crowd. She’s got an incredible voice, plays the flute, dances, charisma in spades, mad outfits. She’s a star. She can grab a sub headliner slot and maybe be the show of the weekend. The people sat at home will say how great she was on the tele, you’ll get home and the first thing people will ask was did you see Lizzo.

LDR just isn’t gonna do that. That’s not a dig at her but her music isn’t party music. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

The thing about Lizzo is she’ll win over the crowd. She’s got an incredible voice, plays the flute, dances, charisma in spades, mad outfits. She’s a star. She can grab a sub headliner slot and maybe be the show of the weekend. The people sat at home will say how great she was on the tele, you’ll get home and the first thing people will ask was did you see Lizzo.

LDR just isn’t gonna do that. That’s not a dig at her but her music isn’t party music. 

This is it in a nutshell really. The sub slot is probably the hardest to nail, even a legend like Beck couldn't turn a crowd of people waiting for Coldplay. Have no doubt that Lizzo would have done so for the reasons you've stated above - you don't need to know the tunes for it to be party central.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

The thing about Lizzo is she’ll win over the crowd. She’s got an incredible voice, plays the flute, dances, charisma in spades, mad outfits. She’s a star. She can grab a sub headliner slot and maybe be the show of the weekend. The people sat at home will say how great she was on the tele, you’ll get home and the first thing people will ask was did you see Lizzo.

LDR just isn’t gonna do that. That’s not a dig at her but her music isn’t party music. 

Absolutely this ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...