2020 Pyramid Subs

StevieGed

31 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Actually I’m tempted to stick Wolf Alice in under the 1975. Liam G played Pilton Party and subbed the following year.

I think they'd sub the Other, considering they subbed at Y Not Festival this year. I feel like a Glasto sub should be able to headline a festival like that. Two Door Cinema Club headlined a month after subbing the Other.

is Lorde going to have a new album out????? I mean, she should do it regardless, but yknow.

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I really don't think Wolf Alice are that big though. Third down the Pyramid, maybe, but them subbing seems mad to be, regardless of every festival and media source attempting to shove them down my throat and tell me they're the next big thing. Maybe with a new album it'll seem more realistic but at the moment I can't see it at all. Other headliner or even sub seems more realistic to me.

idk it could be that they're booked for festivals and featured in the media because they're actually a popular band

Edited by Mash011

41 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Please do not put some melt on before Taylor. Just don't do it. No Noel, no Foals, no Lewis Capaldi.

THIS would be the one though...

Not sure my heart could take it

Mine definitely can’t. Bring it on! 

No doubt the most difficult slot to fill, you have to be a band who can energise and get the crowd going for the main headliner, it can really go horribly wrong. I thought the National in 2017 was horribly wrong,  the smallest crowd for a sub I have ever seen, such a shame, I love the National lots but they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  There was so few people there eho got it. On the Other stage it would have been acs, but not on the Pyramid. Quite sad it was in my opinion. Noone was there

The slot needs a familiar crowd pleaser like Elbow or Faithless, or at least a band who gets where they are, who their audience are and absolutely makes the most of the chance like a Nick Cave

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And we see you over there on the internet
Thinking I'm comparing all the girls who are killing it

I don't know if you have the > symbol in Gaelic, but I can tell you it expressly means "greater than".

Just, you know, fyi.

The Sub spot is a sticky wicket. Almost like being a support act in some ways. I remember Muse fans at Reading 2011 absolutely refusing to give in to the Garvey bonhomie when Elbow subbed (most people got into it but there was a Muse fan near me literally stood arms folded sulking through One Day Like This).

Similarly the only time I’ve ever seen Foals is Glastonbury 2016 and I really enjoyed them whereas consensus after was it was flat. My Coldplay hating friend was enraged by the lack of reaction to Beck same year. Primal Scream crashed and burned before the Stones in 2013. I’m a big National fan but that 2017 slot was all wrong.

Others pull it off-The Specials and Nick Cave in 2009. Kasabian same year got a headliner crowd in both size and reaction. Elbow stormed it in 2011. I didn’t see Tame Impala (2016) or The XX (2017) but they’ve got a very positive reaction.

It’s also a tricky one to predict without knowing the headliners (not that Glastonbury always books obviously ‘suitable’ subs but it sometimes helps).

This year I’m going for Noel Gallagher, Lana Del Rey and Wolf Alice. Foals are the tricky one as they could be doing it but could also be Headlining (or even topping the other vs.Swift?). Dua Lipa would have to be a possibility or Lizzo if she’s around again next Summer.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Park headliner wouldn't surprise me

I've got a feeling they might stick them on the Pyramid. Early evening slot similar to Madness in 2016. 

They've enough well-known sing-a-long bangers to get them through an hour on the big one. 

7 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Where do we think Supergrass are gonna fit in? 

As has been mentioned elsewhere, they'd 'fit the bill' of Pyramid openers (in the same ilk as Charlatans, James etc). That would be a shame though as it's not a great slot to have. Would love them as a headliner.

I’m not sure how realistic/unrealistic this may be.

Chris Martin is going to be there, I think it’s just a fact all dislikers are going to have to put up with. Personally I like Coldplay, feel like they always put on a decent set/show, always have a good lights show too.

I can only see them headlining if other first choicers fall through, and thus have to fill in for someone last minute. 2011 > 2016 > 2020 is a bit too soon I’d say, and I think even Chris Martin would understand how underwhelming it would be for Glasto to announce Coldplay for the big 50th. 

But, he will be there, that id say is pretty certain. Does anyone think for the 50th they might go the extra mile in certain aspects of the line up? By this I mean would there be any chance ever they could land the likes of a Coldplay or Blur, who are in with the Eavii as a special guest of sorts? Not exactly a headliner, not a co-headliner, not the heritage Sunday afternoon showing. I especially think Chris Martin will want to be on the poster and want to be a part of the 50th as he’s expressed time and time again he’d play every year if he could (which he nearly does as it is).

Was just wondering if this might ever be a goer, would certainly be a coup to have an act like Coldplay be on the bill but not be headlong. Could also be painted as a special guest position rather than a sub/headline slot. But would most likely be playing within the sub headline slot of sorts. 

You’d like to hope there may be a few tricks up sleeves or a few curveballs coming our way for the 50th, was contemplating how likely/unlikely something like this may be.