2020 Pyramid Subs

StevieGed

Apologies if already elsewhere, I couldn’t see it when having a trawl through just now. But who are we thinking for pyramid subs? Just as endearing as the headliner at times for me, had some great times looking back as the suns setting and the skies are looking wonderful. Difficult to gauge this year I think though.

After Liam last year, I’d say Noel and his high flying birds could be a shoe in, can’t see him wanting the other stage headliner slot either. Would go down well as a pyramid sub, caught him last year and whilst I wasn’t massively into the latest album on record I thought it sounded great live. Mixed with a few Oasis classics you can’t really go wrong. 

Do we think anyone will get a big push up? Dua Lipa will be pyramid I’d say if she’s on, not my cup of tea and wouldn’t be there, but if she isn’t sub I’d say she’s definitely third down at the very least. 

Could Foals sub again? I think they’ll be there after the secret set last outing, and with part 2 of the new album coming out. I’m not sold on them headlining but thinking another sub slot same as ‘16 would be a bit dreary. Decent band and a solid booking if so.

Anyone else we can think of, aside from any left field acts?

4 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Lana Del Rey

Noel Gallagher

Got this horrible feeling Catfish and the Bottlemen might do it, I feel like their popularity level isn’t too dissimilar to George Ezra/Liam Gallagher

Lana Del Rey and Noel as 2 of the 3 would be pretty strong imo.

Not a bad shout either Catfish, again wouldn’t be there myself but can see why they may get the leg up. 

2 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Not a bad shout either Catfish, again wouldn’t be there myself but can see why they may get the leg up. 

Yep. I wouldn’t be there, but they’re probably in a similar mould to previous subs in terms of their climb of headlining smaller festivals then Trnsmt this year. I dunno, just a hunch of mine.

3 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Completely forgot about the XX - they where great 2017, perfect setting. Think it may be too soon for the call back unfortunately. 

Presumably it would depend on whether they have an album out or not?  Every three festivals doesn't seem too often for a sub.  Didn't Elbow play 3 out of 4 festivals at that level?  I should look it up really, but I should be at work right now...

compiling.png

• Upvote 2

Is LDR still touring? Obviously she was close to subbing this year so I’d guess that ship has sailed.

Noel I’d imagine is one of them. 

I did hope there’d be bigger subs this year due to the 50th but I also thought the same for the 40th.  

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can see Nicolas moving to the other stage this time tho.

Nah, doesn't really fit in with the kinds of acts they generally have topping that stage these days, and he's bigger now than he was the last two times he subbed. Think him going on before an oldie like the Mac would be suitable for him.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I'm going to go with Lana Del Rey, Noel Gallagher, and for a slightly more controversial choice, Bon Iver, 'cause I think having Bon Iver sub is the kind of silly thing they'd do.

This is what I think too. Bon Iver (and Lana tbf) fits with the critically acclaimed indie subs they’ve had over the last few years in Tame Impala, The National and Vampire Weekend.