2020 Competitions Thread

cb4747

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

:) I did see that and try to work out how I could possibly fulfil the criteria ... im still struggling :) 

🤔 hmmm... perhaps, with all your lights, advertise yourself as a mini walking pyramid stage. A bit when they had the tiny cinema for 5 people, you can be a mini pyramid. Lights, music and a max of 5 people can jump around in front of you for one song.

Stick a sparkler on the top of the hat.

Would probably have to watch out for Chris Martin turning up though.

10 hours ago, Keithy said:

🤔 hmmm... perhaps, with all your lights, advertise yourself as a mini walking pyramid stage. A bit when they had the tiny cinema for 5 people, you can be a mini pyramid. Lights, music and a max of 5 people can jump around in front of you for one song.

Stick a sparkler on the top of the hat.

Would probably have to watch out for Chris Martin turning up though.

Thanks ... I’ll give it some more serious thought :) don’t remember a tiny cinema but remember the minuscule of sound in the dance village many years ago ... never made it inside sadly 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've never listened to the show or comp, but I reckon they will say a word (or maybe you have to work it out?) that you have to text in. 

likewise .... now I need to be able to listen to this on Monday whist im online picking ..... gonna have to rely on friends I reckon :( 

A bit more on the Monday comp...

A new Jan Slam prize will be announced each week day throughout January on Radio 1 Breakfast. All you have to do is listen out for a series of questions asked by Greg James (Monday to Thursday) and Matt & Mollie (Friday) from which you will have to work out a three letter keyword.

Once you've got the keyword:

Text the three letter word to 81199 followed by your name and age.

Texts will be charged at your standard message rate. Only one text will be counted per phone each day. If you enter more than once the others won’t be counted but you will be charged.

I listened to this last year when I was after tickets in competitions and the questions (and therefore the word) are ridiculously easy. Something along the lines of:

The first letter of the singer who sang "Boom Clap" 
The first letter of the name of band that featured Liam & Noel Gallagher
The first letter of the farm that hosts Glastonbury Festival 

The issue is that they also ask you to text your name and age along with the 3 letter word and i'm convinced if you're over 30 you haven't got a chance. Would they be allowed to filter it?

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I listened to this last year when I was after tickets in competitions and the questions (and therefore the word) are ridiculously easy. Something along the lines of:

The issue is that they also ask you to text your name and age along with the 3 letter word and i'm convinced if you're over 30 you haven't got a chance. Would they be allowed to filter it?

is it all on the one show ? or spread over several days ?.... I doubt they would be able to .... might just seem like the competition winners are younger because it attracts a younger audience ?

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

is it all on the one show ? or spread over several days ?.... I doubt they would be able to .... might just seem like the competition winners are younger because it attracts a younger audience ?

Last time they did it for Glastonbury all 3 questions were asked at the same time but they don't announce what time of the show so you have to be listening. From what I remember it was around 8:45ish.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Last time they did it for Glastonbury all 3 questions were asked at the same time but they don't announce what time of the show so you have to be listening. From what I remember it was around 8:45ish.

Thanks ... hopefully that will help  some on here ...... Im unable to listen :( 

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Silly question but for clarification... I assume lines remain open after all three clues are given? So I don’t have to take a punt after the first two clues?

Looking at the t&cs on the radio one page:

4. Registration will be open approximately 08:03am each day (beginning on 6 January 2020) when the presenter(s) announces on-air that the competition is officially open. The competition registration period will be open for 10 minutes.

Looks like starts at 8:03?

Runs in 10 mins. 

Do I read that right? 

Hope so. I could manage hiding at work for 10 mins undisturbed at about that time. 
Going to save the text number in my contacts. Slight issue is we have shite reception at work. Imagine if it went to answerphone!

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Silly question but for clarification... I assume lines remain open after all three clues are given? So I don’t have to take a punt after the first two clues?

Looks like it. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1L0QBMFFqk2yc5l5jcCsRYM/jan-slam-is-back-for-2020

If it's like last year:
Greg will ask a question at 8am
You'll have from 8:03am to text in the answer - you've got 10 mins to text in
They'll then call people back and pick a winner from about 8:15-8:30.

Glastonbury tickets are the prize on Monday only.

Edited by Dukeicon

10 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

If it's like last year:
Greg will ask a question at 8am
You'll have from 8:03am to text in the answer - you've got 10 mins to text in
They'll then call people back and pick a winner from about 8:15-8:30.

Glastonbury tickets are the prize on Monday only.

Just spotted the Monday only bit. Bugger! 

Also from the t&cs. 

5. Potential winners will be drawn at random from all entries with the correct answer. A short list of up to 50 numbers will be generated once the 10 minute window has closed. The shortlisted callers will be called back in the order they were selected, live on the air. The prize will be won as soon as the phone is answered. The prize will not be won if the call is diverted to answerphone. If the call is not answered on the first attempt, or if there is no answer after 30 seconds of the phone ringing, or the shortlisted caller is rude or abusive then they will fail to win the prize. The next entrant on the list will then be called.

I'm going to have to wrap up that call to Greg James sharpish if I'm going to manage not being rude to him!😝

To be fair I'd probably let him slip me one if it meant I got tickets!!🤣

Edited by semmtexx