How Many People Really Are Trying For Tickets?

Gnomicide

10 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I did wonder if the system prioritised those who waited for the 20 second auto refresh because they were good people who were less likely to overload the servers.  So I left it for a few minutes to do that by itself then concluded that my theory was bollocks and F5d until the key melted. 

I really don’t think it provides any benefit, I refreshed as often as possible on two separate devices and got through in one at 9:08 and again at 9:25. That also includes a spell of about 10 minutes when I didn’t do anything because my idiot mate said it had already sold out.

Sorry if this has already been said, haven't had the chance to read all the previous comments.

The ballot will be a really good chance to get a true idea of exactly how many people do actually try for tickets, the actual sales and the number of hits on the servers reveals very little - for the reasons we all know too well.  The number of registrations again is not truly reflective.

Having the ballot now means that no one has had chance to make alternative plans or write going to Glastonbury off and by adding the application numbers/2 to 142000 will give the best indication of just how many people really want to go. This info might not get published, hopefully it does but at least it would provide some good data to GFL on their true popularity. 

There may be a few people with multiple registrations (we have but will only apply with 1 set) but i doubt if there are that many. All we really know now is that something over 142000 people want to go. Anyway Good luck to everyone ?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

What was the fuck up?  I updated my postcode this year (almost give years after moving!) and it was fine. 

It's fine - unless your new photo gets rejected for whatever reason and then the entire registration gets deleted. At which point you may be too late to try again. Safer just to submit a new one.

3 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I did wonder if the system prioritised those who waited for the 20 second auto refresh because they were good people who were less likely to overload the servers.  So I left it for a few minutes to do that by itself then concluded that my theory was bollocks and F5d until the key melted. 

I had one browser tab open, and left it to refresh every 20 sec. I got in after 23mins. I think it was just dumb luck.  I am aware of other that had multiple devices and browsers open and didn't get a sniff ??‍♂️

On 10/8/2019 at 11:25 PM, DeanoL said:

We would just set up six registrations each and have each person try for a different group of reg numbers.

That said, any system that rewards more tickets to people that don't even bother to get up and try for tickets is a bad one in my opinion. A group where all six people are trying *should* have a better shot at getting tickets than a group where they've left it down to one person to do it for them.

To solve that they just have to monitor the registrations... to be honest the registrations should be verified anyway with some photo ID or something as you can just any tom dick and harrys name down... I know they wont bother but it would solve a lot of problems and make things fairer. 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, Havors said:

To solve that they just have to monitor the registrations... to be honest the registrations should be verified anyway with some photo ID or something as you can just any tom dick and harrys name down... I know they wont bother but it would solve a lot of problems and make things fairer. 

Not everyone has photo ID.

People can look vastly different from photo to photo. Especially when you consider things like hair style, facial hair, make-up, hair colour and such. 

26 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not everyone has photo ID.

People can look vastly different from photo to photo. Especially when you consider things like hair style, facial hair, make-up, hair colour and such. 

You are missing the point.  I didn't say Photo ID was the only way to verify someones account/registration. The point is it being verified to a certain extent to prevent one person making 100 registrations under fake names as they can now. Even small efforts to verify a persons registration would stop a lot of people even attempting to make multiple registrations. 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

You are missing the point.  I didn't say Photo ID was the only way to verify someones account/registration. The point is it being verified to a certain extent to prevent one person making 100 registrations under fake names as they can now. Even small efforts to verify a persons registration would stop a lot of people even attempting to make multiple registrations. 

Which would actually make the system less fair by biasing it vastly towards those that still did.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, sadimmock said:

Similar here. A lot of my friends (late 30s to early 40s) have kind of lost interest. I guess it’s a combination of the difficulty in getting tickets (we’ve got in the habit of going elsewhere) and the main stage line-ups inevitably becoming less relevant to us. Obviously still lots of amazing stuff at the edges, but you can see a lot of that elsewhere for much less hassle. 

A few of us still really wanted to go this time, but we aren’t devastated about missing out. 

So in conclusion I agree that there are probably still a lot of registrations belonging to former hard-core attendees. 

Our group has been going since 2004 and like your group all now late 30s-early 40s have started to lose interest given the complete ballache around getting tickets.

We’ve got 6 of us going this year on a coach, but nothing like our 2009-2013 heyday when there was around 30 of us regularly attending.

Yes Glastonbury is the daddy of festivals but I also agree I think you can find a lot of what’s at Glastonbury elsewhere too which is why some of our group now just do other festivals instead. 

Edited by gooner1990

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Our group has been going since 2004 and like your group all now late 30s-early 40s have started to lose interest given the complete ballache around getting tickets.

We’ve got 6 of us going this year on a coach, but nothing like our 2010-2013 heyday when there was around 30 of us regularly attending.

Yes Glastonbury is the daddy of festivals but I also agree I think you can find a lot of what’s at Glastonbury elsewhere too which is why some of our group now just do other festivals instead. 

Same here

A ball ache to get tickets, a ball ache to drive to, a ball ache to get a camping spot, a ballache dragging your stuff from the car to the camping area, some of them have kids to look after...

14 minutes ago, UEF said:

Same here

A ball ache to get tickets, a ball ache to drive to, a ball ache to get a camping spot, a ballache dragging your stuff from the car to the camping area, some of them have kids to look after...

Which is usually the reasons people list to me when they say they aren’t bothering anymore! 

I’m still happy to do it though. :) 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, sadimmock said:

Similar here. A lot of my friends (late 30s to early 40s) have kind of lost interest. I guess it’s a combination of the difficulty in getting tickets (we’ve got in the habit of going elsewhere) and the main stage line-ups inevitably becoming less relevant to us. Obviously still lots of amazing stuff at the edges, but you can see a lot of that elsewhere for much less hassle. 

A few of us still really wanted to go this time, but we aren’t devastated about missing out. 

So in conclusion I agree that there are probably still a lot of registrations belonging to former hard-core attendees. 

I'm in exactly the same mood and am surprised by it. Conclusion is we'll organise ourselves something else for June and not get excited about T-day again - since the outcome is a likely fail. We might try next year and be happy if we get in but won't put any emotional investment into it. We might just have more fun going to the other festivals we know we can get tickets for.

3 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I'm in exactly the same mood and am surprised by it. Conclusion is we'll organise ourselves something else for June and not get excited about T-day again - since the outcome is a likely fail. We might try next year and be happy if we get in but won't put any emotional investment into it. We might just have more fun going to the other festivals we know we can get tickets for.

Partially I keep on wondering if our relative ambivalence is way of coping with not getting tickets, but when I think about it every act that I really wanted to see this year was playing at a smaller festival....

We have all agreed to keep the weekend free and try in the resale, but not really think about it too much till then. 

We're all off to the Green Man. Will definitely try for tickets in the resale however but, for me, it's being with a good group of friends listening to music, a few beers, some food and then a few late night shenanigans and finally collapsing down with a brew and chatting. Fundamentally we can do that anywhere so whilst I am gutted I'm sure I'll cope. Though I'll be jealous if I end up watching it on the TV!