How Many People Really Are Trying For Tickets?

Gnomicide

5 hours ago, pauladam said:

I (coughs) had a few more than that - (I work in IT and have access to a LOT of computers all with their own dedicated public IPs) and got nowhere :(

I'm hoping for some of your luck last year @DareToDibble

How many separate IPs did you operate on T day?

Last year on twitter Emily said there was 1.5 million peopl registered. This year she says there's 2.4. That's an increase of 900,000 and surely the vast majority of people who registered in the last year will have tried for tickets? Hard to know really be I think going off the success rate here the last 2 years there has to be at least 500k trying.

A lot of people do just spend the sale flapping and moaning and not refreshing. A guy at work asked me for tips because he knew I'd got tickets loads, I said the only thing you can do is refresh refresh refresh, if you're looking at anything other than a registration page then refresh. He told me on Monday that he didn't need to refresh because he got straight into the "queue that updates every 20 seconds" so him and his 4 mates sat still looking at that for 40 minutes.

3 hours ago, semmtexx said:

I wonder if they share out tickets across the country? Using IP addresses? 

Dunno. I think we had an iPad and laptop on WiFi, another laptop tethered to O2, iPhone on EE, Moto on Vodafone, another laptop via works VPN in Antwerp and another two phones also on EE and O2

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sharing tickets across the country by IP address. Putting chemicals in the tap water to make us more obedient. MI5 orchestrating Diana's death.

You forgot about the chemtrails man. Totally. ?

Edited by semmtexx

49 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A lot of people do just spend the sale flapping and moaning and not refreshing. A guy at work asked me for tips because he knew I'd got tickets loads, I said the only thing you can do is refresh refresh refresh, if you're looking at anything other than a registration page then refresh. He told me on Monday that he didn't need to refresh because he got straight into the "queue that updates every 20 seconds" so him and his 4 mates sat still looking at that for 40 minutes.

Why the f* did this make me smile?? ! :)

7 hours ago, Havors said:

This is a good reason or example of why there should be a pre-sale period say 8.30am before the sale where you access a pre booking page and enter your reg numbers...  each reg number can only me used once as per currently. 

Then at 9am boom sales open and it's a free for all to get to booking/payment page. This would mean people dont need multiple connection or devices and the strain on the servers reduced drastically preventing the annoying kicked while paying. Just one person from your group trying preferably the one with the best device and connection ha 

We would just set up six registrations each and have each person try for a different group of reg numbers.

That said, any system that rewards more tickets to people that don't even bother to get up and try for tickets is a bad one in my opinion. A group where all six people are trying *should* have a better shot at getting tickets than a group where they've left it down to one person to do it for them.

8 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

This will be my sixth successful year in a row, there is no way I am lucky enough for there to have been 1 million people trying for 135k tickets and I have got one every year. I've always assumed it was in the million range but thinking about it in the context of my success rate this just can't be true. However a quick look at my facebook friends shows me that 37 out 102 were trying for tickets, which shows me that I clearly live in my happy little echo chamber.

I think it's got more and more popular though, and harder and harder to get tickets. Chances may have been 1 in 8 this year, 1 in 6 the year before and 1 in 2 the year before that. So a 1 in 98 chance. You've been lucky, but not that lucky. 2015 and before I think it was much lower numbers and most people that stuck at it got in.

I know at least 6 people who were registered but decided not to try this year. We had our group of 6 all trying and 1 got through to the booking page and got tickets. I have got through twice in 2 years previously ( our group had been sorted so got another 3 friends) but not this year. another group of 4 this year didn’t get through. We all had about 3 devices going. Not sure what that contributes to the discussion as I am no good at maths and probabilities but we were probably just lucky again! I reckon about 500000 might be about right? 

I know of at least eight friends who were registered and not trying but I seem to buck the trend of the forum in that I have a lot less mates wanting to go these days than I did back in 2008 to 2013. 

I've tried since 2008 and been unlucky in the main sale three times now. First of those was in 2014. Not sure what year it started getting significantly harder, maybe 2015? My odds aren't looking great! 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

We would just set up six registrations each and have each person try for a different group of reg numbers.

That said, any system that rewards more tickets to people that don't even bother to get up and try for tickets is a bad one in my opinion. A group where all six people are trying *should* have a better shot at getting tickets than a group where they've left it down to one person to do it for them.

All of my group bailed due to alcohol related injuries, I just soldiered on and managed to secure the groups tickets but saying that this is the first time I have been successful and all previous times, have had all of the group trying and not had one ticket. Its all down to the ticket gods!

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I know of at least eight friends who were registered and not trying but I seem to buck the trend of the forum in that I have a lot less mates wanting to go these days than I did back in 2008 to 2013. 

I've tried since 2008 and been unlucky in the main sale three times now. First of those was in 2014. Not sure what year it started getting significantly harder, maybe 2015? My odds aren't looking great! 

Similar here. A lot of my friends (late 30s to early 40s) have kind of lost interest. I guess it’s a combination of the difficulty in getting tickets (we’ve got in the habit of going elsewhere) and the main stage line-ups inevitably becoming less relevant to us. Obviously still lots of amazing stuff at the edges, but you can see a lot of that elsewhere for much less hassle. 

A few of us still really wanted to go this time, but we aren’t devastated about missing out. 

So in conclusion I agree that there are probably still a lot of registrations belonging to former hard-core attendees. 

• Upvote 2

We, as a range of 18 to 45 people every year since 2005, never failed to get most if not all tickets for many years, however the last 3 festivals have had much poorer results, we improved on last year by getting 50% of what we were after on Sunday.

Because of this, we had 9 working last time, it may be even more in 2020.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Results of yesterday's poll:

Screenshot_20191009-172518_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6742ec5c9485ff342185d4085f6468e8.jpg

That would put the number trying even lower than I thought but the figures are probably skewed. I don't know how many people who didn't get tickets have stopped following the account. 

You sure that's not that other poll? 

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Results of yesterday's poll:

Screenshot_20191009-172518_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6742ec5c9485ff342185d4085f6468e8.jpg

That would put the number trying even lower than I thought but the figures are probably skewed. I don't know how many people who didn't get tickets have stopped following the account. 

I switched off as many Glastonbury Notifications as possible whilst I sulked .... although efests remained a glimmer of sanity 

On 10/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, incident said:

The 2.4 million figure can be easily ignored as it'll include a lot of old and duplicate registrations. For example after a fuck up last year, I've been advising anyone who'll listen to create a new registration rather than amend their existing one.

My guess is that the number this year would have been somewhere between 200,000 and 500,000, and that most other years it'll be maybe 10-20% less than that. But that's total guesswork based mostly on anecdotal information so I could be miles off in either direction.

Truth is, it's impossible for us to know, and I don't see a way that even the festival/seetickets themselves can be confident to within about 20% - they might know that X amount of people are still left trying by the end of the sale, but they can't realistically know what that represents - if people are using multiple connections or if a group of 100 odd is just trying for their last 2 tickets for example then that'll artificially inflate the number.

What was the fuck up?  I updated my postcode this year (almost give years after moving!) and it was fine. 

20 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I did wonder if the system prioritised those who waited for the 20 second auto refresh because they were good people who were less likely to overload the servers.  So I left it for a few minutes to do that by itself then concluded that my theory was bollocks and F5d until the key melted. 

• Upvote 1