How Many People Really Are Trying For Tickets?

Gnomicide

It sure as fuck aint 2.4 mil

Just going by feels alone (a truly scientific measure) I would estimate something like a third to half that really try for tickets are getting them. I don't include the "click once and give up at 09:05" types in that. 

Edited by UEF

9 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

...and the similarity of the two polls parameters is entirely accidental of course, I'd never have nicked from @Gnomicide Glastothingy Twitter post. Honest. (The cheques in the post).

Your poll was up 1st :D

I think I need to do another one as the 'got some' answer is too vague.

- Got a ticket

- Didn't get a ticket 

Edited by Gnomicide
Decided just yay or nay.

How many tickets in coach and main sale - is it 35k coach and 100k main?

If so, then assuming that SEE was at total capacity for both sales, then coach took 27mins and main 34mins.

Ok, coach is a longer sales process (choosing location etc). But it seems to me that even with that, there may well be far fewer in the main sale than we guess?

I guess that the licence limit is adhered to, so with the 50th, do we think a lot have been held back for hospitality/guests etc.

Does someone have the real ticket numbers?

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon there's was about 500,000 wanting tickets this year.

"We had 2 million registrations - and a quarter of them could be bollocksed on the day" doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Lots of people, like me, who did not get a ticket, are probably avoiding all things Glastonbury so the results may well be skewed.

Personally I think worldwide there are night on a million trying, but at least 25% of them are not even registered. I know half a dozen who tried on Sunday who had not registered and did not even know you had to :D

32 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

As a very crude estimate, I've properly been involved in 4 sales, 2019 main and then resale, then 2020 coach and main. I think the first we had 7 or so people trying, with 1 success (got through to booking page and managed to buy tickets), the resale we had 6, again 1 success, 2020 coach it was 11, 1 success, finally 2020 main was 12 with 2 successes. Obviously I don't know what everyones set up was, which is obviously going to muddle things, but over the 4 sales that's 36 attempts, and 5 successes, just shy of a 14% success rate 

That's a hell of a lot higher than a 14% success rate though. You need to calculate it as how many of the 36 that wanted tickets actually got one.

1 minute ago, mazola said:

That's a hell of a lot higher than a 14% success rate though. You need to calculate it as how many of the 36 that wanted tickets actually got one.

Good point! I guess in that case attempts go up to 41 (our second success in main this year was for extras who weren't officially in our group, none of whom go in themselves), and we bought 24 tickets overall, so yeah that's ~59%. Obviously the actual number is smaller than this, given clouting one person = one attempt is inaccurate due to mutliple devices etc, but also hard to quantify precisely as I've now no idea whether certain set ups work (ie multiple browsers on single device, same wifi)! 

This is a good reason or example of why there should be a pre-sale period say 8.30am before the sale where you access a pre booking page and enter your reg numbers...  each reg number can only me used once as per currently. 

Then at 9am boom sales open and it's a free for all to get to booking/payment page. This would mean people dont need multiple connection or devices and the strain on the servers reduced drastically preventing the annoying kicked while paying. Just one person from your group trying preferably the one with the best device and connection ha 

See tickets can do this right now without hardly any changes... someone needs to have a word in their ear. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

This is a good reason or example of why there should be a pre-sale period say 8.30am before the sale where you access a pre booking page and enter your reg numbers...  each reg number can only me used once as per currently. 

Then at 9am boom sales open and it's a free for all to get to booking/payment page. This would mean people dont need multiple connection or devices and the strain on the servers reduced drastically preventing the annoying kicked while paying. Just one person from your group trying preferably the one with the best device and connection ha 

See tickets can do this right now without hardly any changes... someone needs to have a word in their ear. 

I think maybe there's a few hundred thousand doing that ... oh hang on :) 

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

But the flip side of that is the sale would probably be over in 5 minutes max, so you have to be careful what you wish for.

Difficult one to work out this, my hunch is it’s roughly 4 x oversubscribed based on the following:

I’ve tried properly for the 5 Glastonbury’s and got tickets myself on the Sunday in 4/5 sales. Broadly speaking I normally have 4 devices on different connections. Again broadly speaking two of those devices tend to just crash and the two tend to get the holding screen. I’ve got through twice twice, once twice and none once. So based on my four devices being essentially like four individual people that’s roughly a 1/4 success rate across those devices.

Conversely I’ve more or less been in the same group of 6 in those 5 sales. Nobody else within the 6 has even got a booking screen, they’d probably view their odds as being massively higher, but I know they are never quite as organised and they don’t fully get the concept of having to concentrate for the entire length of the sale without getting distracted, messaging, looking on Twitter so their own actions dramatically reduce their odds.

Blimey, that 49% unsuccessful poll is quite scary, especially with such a large number of people voting. You also have to consider that that percentage is probably understating the number, as it would only include people subscribed to Glasto twitter/efestivals who may have a stronger desire/knowledge about what to do to bag a ticket. Take into account others who aren't attached to efestivals or follow Glasto twitter accounts who I suspect probably aren't generally as focused/knowledgeable about what is required to get a ticket come T day and I suspect the real unsuccessful percentage is nearer 70%

Saying that every year up until last Sunday I have managed to get tickets, so I must have been exceptionally lucky/skilful/focused to get tickets up to now***. Maybe I had taken it for granted a bit too much, i don't know, I just tried the same trusted (up to now) method of using multiple tabs/browser sessions/computers as possible and F5 continuously which has always worked in the past

I reckon there must about 400,000 people trying for tickets. I in 3 chance of getting a ticket feels about right on average to me

*** this has however made me feel incredible lucky and privileged to have been every year since 2005, I am genuinely really happy for all the folks who bagged tickets on Sunday, especially the number of people who seemed to have bagged tickets for the first time this year - the does seem a lot more first times than previous years which is great for them and the festival. Well done to all!

4 hours ago, pauladam said:

I (coughs) had a few more than that - (I work in IT and have access to a LOT of computers all with their own dedicated public IPs) and got nowhere :(

I'm hoping for some of your luck last year @DareToDibble

I feel loads better now, I’m not an IT spurt and I rigged up 8 separate routes, still getting nowhere!

400k ish.  Looking at the polls half of those trying got all the tickets they wanted or some of the tickets.  With c.130k available I can believe it’s about three times over subscribed.

Anecdotal information from people I meet who are registered - several are indifferent - all types of reasons.

The forum tends to host those of us who “have” to be there. Changes the perspective imo.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Blimey, that 49% unsuccessful poll is quite scary, especially with such a large number of people voting. You also have to consider that that percentage is probably understating the number, as it would only include people subscribed to Glasto twitter/efestivals who may have a stronger desire/knowledge about what to do to bag a ticket. Take into account others who aren't attached to efestivals or follow Glasto twitter accounts who I suspect probably aren't generally as focused/knowledgeable about what is required to get a ticket come T day and I suspect the real unsuccessful percentage is nearer 70%

Any polls keen fest goers conduct will always carry a bias as they will not reflect the opinions of the vast majority who do not do forums, Twitter, polls etc. The minority opinion they do reflect may also be influenced by the lengths regular fest goers go to in order to try and get tickets.

Will will never know the true total of people trying for tickets so speculation is an obsessive self serving exercise....which we are all good at ? I can well believe ticket odds are between 5/1 and 10/1. Our loose group of 8 totally failed: I was the only 1 of us to even see the holding page!

If we think of statistics the demand simply can’t be 2.4 million for 150 thousand tickets as there'd be no way people would get in for multiple years on the trot. Me and mates (varying from 10 - 14 people or so all as teams) have managed to get in ever year we've tried - except for this one where half made it, half failed out of 10 total. I've been going for 7 festivals and this is the first time I've not made it. So, some clever statistician would be able to correct me but that makes it less than a million, probably much closer to 500k at most (given each successful person can buy 6 tickets). 

Still gutted though!

1 hour ago, Flysheet said:

I feel loads better now, I’m not an IT spurt and I rigged up 8 separate routes, still getting nowhere!

I wonder if they share out tickets across the country? Using IP addresses?