Graspop 2020

Death By Sexy

49 minutes ago, xydroh said:

does graspop/livenation ever look at the reactions on facebook or other social media ?

They look at it for sure. At least a bit when they make an announcement. But on Facebook, in general, you see more the people disappointed than the happy people. Even if there are a few hundreds of negative comments, tickets are still selling great like said @Ken19, which means thousands of tickets (GMM capacity is about 50k per days) so they can stay on their position for this year. Anyway, it's too late to change.

56 minutes ago, xydroh said:

does graspop/livenation ever look at the reactions on facebook or other social media ?

Some of them do. But I know a lot of them that try to ignore the reactions. Social media makes it to easy to complain. It is not a good feeling to receive criticism about your work, they always do the best they can. 

Last year we received a lot of mails. About the RW thursday. A lot of them were not just complaining, but people took their time to write a decent mail. The bookers already knew they had to do something, but this was the last push.

Edited by Ken19

For out festival 'group' in any event, we used to go to RW as 3 days of 90% fast and hard with roaring wasn't really our thing. But since they started really broadening their scope, also so that we can watch 3-4 bands per day without roaring it has become our festival of choice. Also RW is slowly becoming more and more 'poppy' with an increasing number of 'bubble gum' artists, so I think a lot of people like us are changing festivals. 

For example: RW at this moment, Thursday looks good for us, Friday no idea.  Saturday is dramatic (unless a good number of artists in out genre are announced). Sunday only SOAD at the moment. So whereas in the past it would have been a combi now only a day ticket, maybe 2 day tickets depending how line up develops. I get RW putting the hip hop day in between rock days but still not going to pay for a day that we have no interest in ( and spend loads of money on that day at festival prices). Rather save that money.

Edited by Johnpf1

9 minutes ago, kaip said:

Looking for advice on where to fly to, hotel and anything else you can think of that would help a first timer 

Many thanks in advance 

Eindhoven is the closest airport. In Mol you can find hotels. And you have shuttles between Mol and Dessel. But i don't know if there are still enough rooms available. More and more of the Graspoppeople prefer a more luxurious style of festival. 

I get it. It's not easy filling in a festival line up. But still.. I cannot believe these are the headliners they came up with.. 

* Iron Maiden. Love the band. Saw them 8 times already. But did they really need to add a 4th day just so these guys could come over and play the exact same setlist as 2 years ago?

* Judas Priest. Ok ok.. I'm happy with the Priest. Saw them 7 times in the past and I wanna see them again. 50 years of heavy metal. Fuck yeah, I'll be there. I do, however understand that younger people don't have the same love for these dinosaurs as I do.

* Aerosmith. Saw them @ Graspop in 2010 I think? Ok I guess.. imo there are better 70's bands like Uriah Heep, Blue öyster Cult, Nazareth or... Deep Purple (although they too still play the same setlist as the last time they came to GMM). However, I understand why Aerosmith is a headliner. Just not my cup of tea. In a year with a big headliner, having Aerosmith as a headliner on another day would make this edition really legendary, but now they seem to be the Big Name of the edition and that just ain't right.

* Faith No More... Good musicians and an important band for rock history. But not a headliner imo. I saw them in 2015 and was not impressed. Maybe if they were any good back then I would play a different tune right now. But they sucked, so I have zero interest in seeing them again. Don't get me wrong. I consider 'Angel Dust' to be one of the biggest albums of the 90's. But so is Smashing Pumpkins 'Mellon Collie' or Pearl Jam's 'Ten' so why aren't these bands headlining GMM? And don't tell me it's because these bands aren't metal because FNM, Aerosmith and Deep Purple aren't metal either.

There must have been some major setbacks, no? It can't be that the organisation thinks this is a memorable anniversary edition? SOAD would have been a nice, fresh headliner. Slipknot would have been nice too. I believe they aren't playing in Belgium in 2020. And if frikkin' Disturbed can play GMM 2 years in a row, then why not Slipknot? Hell, I'd even prefer the Foo Fighters as a headliner. They have some good albums. They rock. And although I don't like the music I would consider Five Finger Death Punch a better headliner than FNM. There was some talk about AC/DC, The Who, Metallica, Dream Theater, Tool, RATM, Rammstein, Guns 'n Roses, Motley Cruë.. all of these would make better and bigger headliners than FNM. As improbable as these might be.

I have decided that I won't be buying a combi this year. Actually.. first time since 2009. I will however, buy a day ticket on saturday as I wanna see Judas Priest. And Opeth, Anathema and Alcect are a nice bonus.

Bands like Saxon, Uriah Heep or Megadeth could still convince me to go for a combi. A festival is more than its headliners, right?  ;) But I think the chances of that happening are nill to none existing. I'm thinking about giving Alcatraz a try this year. I heard some good things about this festival and I regret the fact that I didn't go this year. They had a pretty sweet line up.

Edited by Mo6

You can also never do good for everyone. Yes, they could have gone and booked The Who or Foo Fighters, and then you'd have just as much social media backlash.

Imo they've done quite decent with the names being around. Only SOAD feels like having missed out, and we all know the story by now.

Edited by Dietediet
  • Upvote 1

Foo's have been rumored for the likes of Download UK, Hellfest, Graspop for some years now, yet it never happens. Not sure if they woud be willing to play metal festivals. Sure, Download UK I assume they wouldnt decline. But why play Graspop if you can play Werchter? Fits them better, bigger audience, etc.

I dont get the move to 4 days, and then again I do get it.... If Maiden wasnt a possibility on another day (which according to their tour schedule is not an option at this point) I can see why they would book them and add the extra day. Imagine the shit storm if your 25yrs anniversary has Judas Priest (who are icons, but played as sub/MS2 'headliner' in 2018 and are suddenly bumped to headliner without anything new to show for it), Aerosmith and FNM (same story as Priest, except they've played 2015). I can see how you wanna add Maiden to that bill, especially since they were there on the first edition and its just a good story.

People's expectations were too high for this. Viewed as a standalone line-up this is a great set of headliners, from what is an ever decreasing pool. Well done Graspop.

The undercard is already looking strong with plenty of groups who have close to headline status (The Offspring, Korn, Deep Purple and Deftones) with no doubt more to follow.

I think/hope Evanescence, FFDP, Alice Cooper, Megadeth, Saxon, BSC, Poison, BSR will be added to the bill and I wonder whether there's a chance of getting either Motley Crue or Queen to co-headline on the Friday...if so, this could be the best line-up ever ?

17 minutes ago, Neb8 said:

Iggy Pop is a headliner, not a support act for FNM. Also, he's 72. I can't see him doing two gigs in two days. (He's in NL on Saturday)

Don't get me wrong, I'd be absolutely delighted of it happened, but it's not likely in my mind.

Thought so too but then I saw on his tour schedule that there are one or 2 cases where he plays 2 days in a row

Edited by xydroh

Well. I did it. I bought myself a combi ticket, even though I swore not to do it again. See, I thought about it and I like a lot of bands that are coming to the festival. I think afterwards I'd regret skipping a year so here we are..

I also think this is the thing.. the headliners (apart from FNM) aren't all that bad. I think we can all agree on that, but we were all expecting way too much. In a way Graspop itself fueled this by making it a 4 days edition and by stressing out the fact that it's the 25th anniversary of the festival. We were all expecting the best line up ever. That's on us.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Aerosmith. If these were the headliners of a regular 3 days Graspop line up in 2014 or 2017 we'd all be more than ok with that ?

If they would have been able to add just one big name to the line up it would have been the best line up ever. It's that close.

They can't help it though. I'm sure they tried. Lots of big names out there but I think it's nearly impossible to get them to headline next summer.

I think Manowar won't headline Belgium again because they can't play as loud here as they used to. That ain't Graspop's fault. It's the law. AC/DC still hasn't made any plans to tour yet, and even if they did, I don't see them playing festivals.

Same thing goes for The Who, Dream Theater, Fear Factory and Guns 'n Roses. Big names, but I don't see any plans for a European summer festival tour.

Metallica and Mötley Cruë are touring North America. They won't be coming to Europe next summer.

Tool does a concert tour, not a festival tour. Besides, they did that this summer and all the major festivals got to book them. Well, almost all of them. ;)

RATM is touring against Trump. We won't be seeing them in Europe in 2020. 

Machine Head doesn't wanna do festivals anymore. Rammstein doesn't wanna work with Live Nation anymore. SOAD wants to headline Werchter. The bastards ;) 

Van Halen probably doesn't exist anymore and they don't often come over to Europe anymore anyway.

Slipknot has headlined this year. I understand why they didn't try to book them again for this year. Kiss came to say goodbye this year. Very unlikely to see them again next summer. Scorpions even came to say goodbye twice. Booking them again would be a joke.

I read something about Queen or Iggy Pop here on this forum. Either one of these two would have been great. It would have made this line up an anniversary line up. Especially Iggy.. I had no idea he was in the vicinity. Talking about missed opportunities. 

Ah well. Life goes on.

Edited by Mo6
  • Like 1

PHIL CAMPBELL AND THE BASTARD SONS 

THE HU

DEVIN TOWNSEND 

BLACK VEIL BRIDES,

BLUES PILLS

BRITISH LION (Iron MaidensSteve Harris)

CEMETERY SUN

CRYSTAL LAKE

DEATH TO ALL

FIRE FROM THE GODS

MICHAEL SCHENKER’S TEMPLE OF ROCK

NORTHLANE

TEMPT

THE DEAD DAISIES.

Edited by xydroh

On 12/9/2019 at 9:39 PM, kaip said:

Looking for advice on where to fly to, hotel and anything else you can think of that would help a first timer 

Many thanks in advance 

You really don't want to get a hotel as there is nowhere easy to get to and from. Argon events do hotels and transport packages to Graspop but don't miss your (only)last bus home or it's a 60 euro taxi fare back(if you can get one). The other options left are accommodation at Devil's Lake centre parcs which is great if there are a few of you as there are shuttles running constantly. Do not get your own hotel and try get to and from the venue unless you are driving as it's virtually impossible. 

If you get accommodation through the website the easiest way to get there is to fly/Eurotunnel to Brussels and then train(only 10 euros there and back) to either Mol or Lommel depending which accommodation you get.

https://www.graspop.be/en/info/accommodations/

https://www.argonevents.com/

Edited by Deckard1969
Update info