Chris Martin

Hugh Jass

Some murmurs Coldplay are doing coachella.

I think we’re safe in 2020, but I think they will definitely headline again in 2021 as part of the 50th anniversary comedown. It should be at the back end of whatever tour they are starting at the end of this year.

I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest they will do Glasto amongst a potential stadium or whatever tour in 2021.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Some murmurs Coldplay are doing coachella.

I think we’re safe in 2020, but I think they will definitely headline again in 2021 as part of the 50th anniversary comedown. It should be at the back end of whatever tour they are starting at the end of this year.

I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest they will do Glasto amongst a potential stadium or whatever tour in 2021.

It’s pretty unreasonable. That would be five times in twenty years (including fallows).

10 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Probably the biggest lighting display event ever seen on the Pyramid stage and they follow it with a 11am day time slot.

Maybe they could get James to guest and play some album tracks that nobody knows. 

Please people, get a grip on reality here.

What better way to follow the biggest light show on the Pyramid, and the flashing pyramid before that, than with the biggest light of them all?

11 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Keep up the great work Agent JParx! 

I don't suppose you're one of those who carries the large DCFC flag around each time?

Need to find out who those guys are - every year black ram on white & white ram on black, front and centre of the pyramid. Don’t know how they do it. I’m going to make it my mission to find out next year.

• Like 1

They will be lined up, of course they will be. There will be a bunch of bands Glasto are in talks with to headline the Pyramid and if one of them falls through (and lets face it, it probably will) Coldplay will take that slot. If they don't then yeah there'll be some sort of "secret" set.

11 minutes ago, Padgey said:

It still makes me laugh the huge groan around us when Kylie introduced him on the Sunday this year. 

Same where we were. 

It was the biggest collective “OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!” I’ve experienced since watching LOTR: Return of the King at the cinema and that fucking film failed to end for the 5th time. 

• Upvote 1

Jokes about Chris Martin popping up like an earnest whack-a-mole will always be funny, as will the memory of that deflated acceptance during Kylie's set.

I have no problem also holding the opinion that the 2016 closing set was fucking brilliant.

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I have no problem also holding the opinion that the 2016 closing set was fucking brilliant.

We were really non-plussed by them in 2011, felt Elbow had stolen the evening with the crowd pleasing, pint downing, Guy Garvey show, so were not keen for 2016, but exhausted and our mates wanted to see it. Back of the field, in a bit from the rearmost urinals, in front of the tree. WHAT A SHOW!!! Totally won us over.

I get why we all joke, and why we think hes a bit of a knob, but watch the movie A Head Full Of Dreams and you can see that he is all right. Obviously that's the point of the movie, but anyway, we were converted by 2016.

I would love them to open the show with a Pyramid set at 11am on Friday and a load of guests :) 

IMG_3528.JPG

On 10/8/2019 at 9:43 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Coldplay headlining is the only potential headliner I will actually be annoyed at.

Oh, I'd take them over Arctic Monkeys or The 1975. I agree it would feel a bit lazy to have them headlining next year (I think 2021 is much more likely), but personally I'd be happy to watch them open the Pyramid.

I know it's not a popular opinion around these parts, but I enjoyed the last album, and their HFOD tour (and 2016 headline slot) was magnificent. Granted, he's almost got the most slappable face (second only to Michael Gove) and his nauseating, boundless positivity makes me secretly yearn for climate change just so I have something to be unhappy about and put the world back in some kind of equilibrium .

But. They put on a great show, and I'd turn up to see them open.

25 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Oh, I'd take them over Arctic Monkeys or The 1975. I agree it would feel a bit lazy to have them headlining next year (I think 2021 is much more likely), but personally I'd be happy to watch them open the Pyramid.

I know it's not a popular opinion around these parts, but I enjoyed the last album, and their HFOD tour (and 2016 headline slot) was magnificent. Granted, he's almost got the most slappable face (second only to Michael Gove) and his nauseating, boundless positivity makes me secretly yearn for climate change just so I have something to be unhappy about and put the world back in some kind of equilibrium .

But. They put on a great show, and I'd turn up to see them open.

I wouldn't. I am not a Coldplay fan at all, which doesn't help my view (I admit that!), but to me , regardless of who it is, the worlds biggest and best festival shouldn't have the same headliner every couple of years. It does devalue the festival a bit.

If they were to open, or to do a secret Park set maybe, I would be all for that. I wouldn't be anywhere near it, but I think that would add a lot to the festival.

I find the 1975 a lot more annoying than Coldplay. A gun to my head, I'd watch Coldplay before the 1975, but I'd much rather 1975 have a headline slot than Coldplay.

I don't get Coldplay, I never have done. Saw a bit of it on TV and thought it was naff... but like I say, I am a bit biased against them playing.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

• 2 weeks later...

I could see them opening the Pyramid for sure. People get caught up in silly rules that don’t even exist, yes their light show was amazing in 2016, but even if they headlined again next year in the dark, would they just do the same again? Unlikely. It’s the 50th, it’s a one off special occasion, he’s a massive fan and friend of the festival, they can’t possibly headline the festival so makes complete sense. It doesn’t mean it will happen, but to suggest it isn’t at least plausible is madness.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton