Rum club

carlosj

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Apparently my dad drinks in your pub!!

He's ex navy from the days when the still did the daily tot of rum.  Swears by that stuff as the closest he can get to what hey used to dish out.

Oh god, it’s vile!!! I had a shot when drunk one night. It about killed me ?

the chap that drinks it too is ex navy. 

Edited by CeriG

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Apparently my dad drinks in your pub!!

He's ex navy from the days when the still did the daily tot of rum.  Swears by that stuff as the closest he can get to what hey used to dish out.

Quark's dad doesn't drink in Quark's bar??

Anybody tried this gorgeous smooth spiced baby. Got one just for the bottle but lost (my mate says i was a bit 'special' and told the lady she could have it, i say theft from a defenceless, weak and somewhat cuddly individual) the bottle shortly after emptying it. 

Today's a special day and I've released the Kraken. ? It's a school night so I shall stay in control of the Kraken, anybody know how many shots before the Kraken takes control.? Whatever, I'll risk another ?

These posts are making me think I've gotta invest and explore new rum horizons. ?

Screenshot_20191010-193042_Google.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, balti-pie said:

Dark rum is majestic stuff. I like yer Caribbean ones, Appleton Estate is my favourite of the readily available supermarket rums - kraken is also thoroughly decent. Good with coke, lemonade, poured into cider, added to tea, sloshed into a morning milkshake, or drunk on its own. 
rum: good with everything. 

what’s your favourite couple of whiskies? I have worryingly expensive tastes ??? Nikka from the barrel and Lagavulin would be typical faves 

Interested to hear more about this cider and rum combo, which ones would you recommend?

54 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Interested to hear more about this cider and rum combo, which ones would you recommend?

Depends how you feel about your cider - I’m a medium man, I can’t imagine it’d be too good with a dry cider tbf! I had a rum barrel aged cider from Middle Farm (near Lewes in Sussex, it’s the most amazing ciderie - maybe 80 barrels of cider and perry, every possible permutation of dry, sweet, barrel aged, fruited, strong, everything - samples are free as well, don’t drive there forgodsake) and that just inspired me to turbocharge my Burrow Hill medium with a good healthy glug of whichever dark rum I happen to have at the time. Adds a lovely smoky rich sweetness, and also means you’re improving your getting pissed/needing a piss ratio, which is everything I aspire to of a Glastonbury evening. 

29 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

You buggers have made me go out and buy a bottle now (of Kraken)!

You’re all social media influencers and I hope you’re thoroughly ashamed of yourselves!

Wooo, can I get some merchandise sent to me, and I'll promote it?

2 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

If I say no will you berate me to your followers?

Yep. All 12 of them. In my next yoga pose overlooking Machu Pichu, I will unleash my mighty social network upon your reputation.

I think my blood sugar's off, I'm going to get some breakfast.

• Upvote 1

The last two years i've brought along a bottle of Havana Club 7 year old rum, delicious and always bring a few cans of ting to go with it. I do prefer bourbon though, my favourite being Makers Mark but I take Buffalo Trace to the festival as a cheaper alternative, that I just sip straight from a hipflask.

16 hours ago, ukmountie said:

Image result for black seal rum + image.png.431813bfd277acd2046748a066db3a77.png = image.jpeg.5568e6128f1340cd622141f8eb62d906.jpeg

Best rum and best drink in the world.

16 hours ago, Quark said:

I was introduced to the inclusion of bitters by a barman in Brighton. Game changer

And the ginger has to go in first .... Goslings black seal rum is nectar - even more so when you can buy the super strength in Bermuda for $16 a litre :-) , inclusion of bitters is a little perplexing but won;t knock it till I've tried it

I am lucky to work with a team in Bermuda so have to hop across every so often (not done this year yet as conscious of flying too much_), but when needs must then first stop is always duty free at the airport for goslings followed by a dark n stomry overlooking the ocean

Waitrose have started doing goslings darn n stormy in cans - perfect festival yumminess (expensive but so yum) - just need to find out where to buy Goslings ginger here but Old Jamcian works well

I now need a darn n stormy :-) mmmmmmmmm

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Tonight’s experiment is whether rum goes well with Fanta pink grapefruit. Could be a refreshing combination or a total disaster. 

I always take Appleton’s special in a hip flask. But if I’m at home then O.V.D. is the rum of choice for mixing with ginger wine.

Mixing with ginger wine - now theres a thought - actually where does one get ginger wine from - I presume this means it has no bubbles - this could be a winner !! @deebeedoobee you hero

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Tonight’s experiment is whether rum goes well with Fanta pink grapefruit. Could be a refreshing combination or a total disaster. 

I always take Appleton’s special in a hip flask. But if I’m at home then O.V.D. is the rum of choice for mixing with ginger wine.

19 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Mixing with ginger wine - now theres a thought - actually where does one get ginger wine from - I presume this means it has no bubbles - this could be a winner !! @deebeedoobee you hero

I can only think of Stones Ginger Wine - is that the kind of thing you mean Dee?

Mrs Q's grandma bought us a bottle of ginger wine a while back, might give that a go.  Presumably with ice?

23 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

And the ginger has to go in first .... Goslings black seal rum is nectar - even more so when you can buy the super strength in Bermuda for $16 a litre ? , inclusion of bitters is a little perplexing but won;t knock it till I've tried it

I am lucky to work with a team in Bermuda so have to hop across every so often (not done this year yet as conscious of flying too much_), but when needs must then first stop is always duty free at the airport for goslings followed by a dark n stomry overlooking the ocean

Waitrose have started doing goslings darn n stormy in cans - perfect festival yumminess (expensive but so yum) - just need to find out where to buy Goslings ginger here but Old Jamcian works well

I now need a darn n stormy ? mmmmmmmmm

I was going to ask where in Bermuda you can get Black Seal for $16/litre, but of course... duty free. I always bring it with me on the way back to the UK, but tend to buy whiskey coming in this direction.

Old Jamaican is close but not perfect, and of course it really needs to be Barritts Ginger Beer which pre-dates Goslings getting in on that act. Yum! Think I might have one or three after work today.

I work at BELCO btw. Not the most environmentally friendly business but getting better.

26 minutes ago, ukmountie said:

I was going to ask where in Bermuda you can get Black Seal for $16/litre, but of course... duty free. I always bring it with me on the way back to the UK, but tend to buy whiskey coming in this direction.

Old Jamaican is close but not perfect, and of course it really needs to be Barritts Ginger Beer which pre-dates Goslings getting in on that act. Yum! Think I might have one or three after work today.

I work at BELCO btw. Not the most environmentally friendly business but getting better.

Duty free on the way into the Bermuda just before baggage collection  - ready to then pack for the journey home :-) - so its done and dusted :-)

Jury is still out on a frozen dark n stormy - and we haven;t even started on rum swizzle - just used my last packet of swizzle mix but have been known to whip up a jug in the campervan at glasto - another rum version thats non fizzy . Never knew about Barritts , gonna have to seek that out somehow.  All this talk of dark n stormy and I'm rather envious of your Friday night with one or 3 perfect ones :-) Where's your favourite on the island (need to note for my next visit :-))