Ballot for 50 pairs of tickets

MadScientist

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

First time I've managed to get a screen to add my own details in since October 2012...

Edit: someone already made this joke two pages ago. I must start reading further back before commenting

I presume ( hope ) you are still in for the competitions ?

10 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

The good thing is registration is closed , so a couple of people may have a few but I imagine generally most people will only have 1 that can be used.

And I assume they won't reopen it now until this ballot is put to bed?

Edited by Mackem

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Maybe require registrations to be linked to a unique passport before they're valid for entry into future ballots?  I've never gotten into the London Marathon (latest rejection today) but I feel the ballot part of their system is fair - though maybe I'm being naive and everyone else is entering with multiple addresses.  Definitely that would happen for something more valuable like glastonbury, but if entries could be validated (e.g. against a passport) then this could work in the future...

I have two different passports though (legitimate ones), so I could double my chances?

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

is it possible that they can do something in terms of image searches on the photos  (for example google do reverse image searches)  to lessen duplicate registrations 

they could but i expect the festival will want to keep their admin overheads down wherever possible.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

is it possible that they can do something in terms of image searches on the photos  (for example google do reverse image searches)  to lessen duplicate registrations 

i guess it would be technically possible to run all photos through an identification system, but they only run at around 99% accuracy - which would have 24,000 very pissed off people from the 2.4M registrations who couldn't have the first chance at getting a glasto ticket.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No, I think that would be reaching into the realms of MI6 rather than a group trying to organise a festival :)

Ok so I’m a touch confused. It says a ballot to win a chance to buy a pair of tickets? So if I just put my reg no in does that mean I can get two tickets? 

ie should I register with no guest and then register the mrs with no guest? 

Or am I being super duper pooper stupid? 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i guess it would be technically possible to run all photos through an identification system, but they only run at around 99% accuracy - which would have 24,000 very pissed off people from the 2.4M registrations who couldn't have the first chance at getting a glasto ticket.

Would they not have to just run the winners through ? To check for a second duplicate entry ? Or am I missing something ? 

Would they not have to just run the winners through ? To check for a second duplicate entry ? Or am I missing something ? 

yep, could be done that way - but it'd still blow out 1% of the legitimate winners.

I guess they might never know it'd happened to them, but us on the outside would know it's happening to some people.

2 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Ok so I’m a touch confused. It says a ballot to win a chance to buy a pair of tickets? So if I just put my reg no in does that mean I can get two tickets? 

ie should I register with no guest and then register the mrs with no guest? 

Or am I being super duper pooperstupid? 

In the terms it's says anyone with one entry will only get one ticket.

5 minutes ago, Gilb said:

No, I think that would be reaching into the realms of MI6 rather than a group trying to organise a festival :)

Reverse image searching is actually quite a simple thing to do even I can manage it ... and do so to check dating profiles are legit ...  I know it’s the scale of things that’s different but they will have far greater it knowledge than me 

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve got tickets but you’ve still got to pay for them?

Seems a bit pointless to me, it should’ve either been a competition, or if you’ve got to pay make it w bit worthwhile and hold something like 1000 of them back.

Western daily press used to do this back in the day 1000 pairs of chances to buy tickets .. got us in once with a few multiple postcard entries ... think you needed to collect tokens from the paper to

Reverse image searching is actually quite a simple thing to do even I can manage it ... and do so to check dating profiles are legit ...  I know it’s the scale of things that’s different but they will have far greater it knowledge than me 

I have a friend who was blocked by a dating site for using a fake picture. The problem was that the pic was widely available on the internet and it is actually her in the photo but that's the price you pay for being semi famous. 

Back on topic though, having a way to identify a single user is the only way you can be sure a ballot is as fair as possible. The only unique identifying number we have as Brits is our National Insurance number, overseas visitors will have the equivalent in their country. The question is how many of us are comfortable giving out that information to secure a ticket?  You also only get a NI number at 16, anyone younger would have to come on a free ticket attached to an adult entry.

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve got tickets anyway, but you’ve still got to pay for them?

Seems a bit pointless to me, it should’ve either been a competition, or if you’ve got to pay make it more worthwhile and hold something like 1000 of them back.

I'm expecting this is how tickets will be allocated from next year. This gives them an opportunity to test it this year, but with a small pool of allocation. 

Edited by kabillion
Grammer

1 minute ago, kabillion said:

I'm expecting this is how ticket will be allocated form next year. This gives them an opportunity to test it this year, but with a small pool of allocation. 

I'm still sceptical but I can't for the life of me think why else they would be doing it. It's pretty small for a gesture to celebrate the 50th.

Imagine what it would be like around here in the run-up to T-day next year: no tips and tricks, no talk of IP addresses, no frantic teaming up at the last minute... just a hell of a lot of anxiety!

I'd be fine with 1000 or even 5000 tickets being put up for ballot.  I wouldn't want any more than that.  I currently like that you need to be a bit commited to win.  

I guess the festival is trying to come up with ways to counter individuals using multiple devices.  It's a pretty non trivial task for someone techy to set up some kind of mini-farm with loads of virtual instances on different IP addresses all auto-refreshing.

Edited by uscore

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

If they did the whole thing as a ballot, would it improve it for people if, say, you won the opportunity to buy six tickets? You could then pick for four others or choose not to, freeing those places back up. If it was me and I didn't have six, I'd likely offer them to folks here. 

sounds like a good way to re-introduce touting

• Upvote 2