Ballot for 50 pairs of tickets

MadScientist

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was going to dig out a photo of me in a tutu ... but its supper time and there's lots of new people about .. so I dont want to be scaring anyone off 

With or without a photo certain images get lodged I your brain and are extremely difficult to shift. I'm thinking Rudolf Nureyev with a flashing pyramid hat 

What if this is a test run for a much bigger ballot next year?

I’m still trying to figure out why they’re doing this, I don’t feel it’s about the new camping at the pier (Otherwise they’d say, and if they didn’t say in advance some would say they want to camp elsewhere, or use CVs etc.). 

A friend of mine just went to use my number and they got a message saying it's always been used, which wasn't by me I hadn't got round to it.

Did anyone get a confirmation email or anything like that when they entered?

Edit: turns out a one of my friends has used mine

Edited by nowyouregideon

God I really hope this isn’t a precursor to a much bigger ballot, but if it was I reckon they’d trial a lot more than just 50 tickets.

The thing is they get grief every year from the mentally challenged Twitter twats, but after a couple of years of full on ballots there would be even more mass outrage, and I really don’t think they’re that daft to not realise that.

Just have a look at the rection on social media to the London Marathon ballot...they hate it. They used to have a system where you could get a gauranteed entry after a certain amount of rejections; they did away with this a few years back and now some have been rejected about 10 times or more. They have less places in the ballot; probably less than 20,000 and about 450,000 entered so plenty of pissed off punters. At least, unlike Glasto there are other ways of getting in; being fast, or running for charity.

I was asked earlier this evening if I would 'partner' somebody's attempt to get tickets via this ballot. Despite already having chosen not to go for tickets in the T Day sales, I said 'yes' to the proposal. Deep down, i think that I'm happy to go, but that fate must be the eventual decider on whether that manifests itself, or not.

10 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

What if this is a test run for a much bigger ballot next year?

I’m still trying to figure out why they’re doing this, I don’t feel it’s about the new camping at the pier (Otherwise they’d say, and if they didn’t say in advance some would say they want to camp elsewhere, or use CVs etc.). 

Yeh, I only just realised it's a ballot to purchase tickets and not a ballot to win them. Weird. It can't be a trial though....because a) the numbers are so small and you can't register after the announcement, so it wouldn't give an accurate representation of reality and b)  the folk that don't win aren't going to be anywhere near as annoyed as they would be normally as this is just an extra unexpected go...

I hope @MetaKate Is right!! A ballot would be awful!!!

50 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, I only just realised it's a ballot to purchase tickets and not a ballot to win them. Weird. It can't be a trial though....because a) the numbers are so small and you can't register after the announcement, so it wouldn't give an accurate representation of reality and b)  the folk that don't win aren't going to be anywhere near as annoyed as they would be normally as this is just an extra unexpected go...

I hope @MetaKate Is right!! A ballot would be awful!!!

To me it is obvious, and others have already said this.

It is the 50th anniversary so 50 pairs of tickets in a ballot. The ballot is less relevant than the number 50. You will be seeing that number lots more between now and June.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

To me it is obvious, and others have already said this.

It is the 50th anniversary so 50 pairs of tickets in a ballot. The ballot is less relevant than the number 50. You will be seeing that number lots more between now and June.

Yeh I got the 50 thing...but that's why I assumed it was 50 pairs being given away, not 50 being sold

59 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

Calm down everybody - they're simply trying to work out exactly how many people want tickets. Presumably so they can decide if there's enough people interested to run the festival twice a year.

not so sure .. Emily said they are busy enough for one festival a year ... thats why Variety bizarre ideas been scrapped ... and foremost its a working farm ... so might cause recovery issues for it ... they also have a community that they have pretty well now got on side 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

not so sure .. Emily said they are busy enough for one festival a year ... thats why Variety bizarre ideas been scrapped ... and foremost its a working farm ... so might cause recovery issues for it ... they also have a community that they have pretty well now got on side 

I was half joking - but I suppose knowing the numbers interested would be useful for them anyway - at the moment all they know is that all the tickets sell out - they've no idea how many people try and miss out. I suppose if there was five times as many trying than capacity allows it would be worth them considering a whole separate festival (Variety Bazaar or otherwise) even if that meant a whole second team organising it. Whereas if only, say, an extra 50,000 people were interested it would make that a bit more risky.

2 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

I was half joking - but I suppose knowing the numbers interested would be useful for them anyway - at the moment all they know is that all the tickets sell out - they've no idea how many people try and miss out. I suppose if there was five times as many trying than capacity allows it would be worth them considering a whole separate festival (Variety Bazaar or otherwise) even if that meant a whole second team organising it. Whereas if only, say, an extra 50,000 people were interested it would make that a bit more risky.

of course :) 

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Just wanted to say welcome back Beaver89!

One of the original Thingy contributors if I remember correctly?

Yes indeed! I wrote the original Thingy post back in early 2013 as my boss at the internship I’d just joined literally wouldn’t give me any work to do. Idle hands and all that. Love seeing what it has evolved into! Though there’s a small piece of me misses the days when we demanded the thingy then would have to spend 10 minutes finding the damn thing!

I’ve been lurking but with 2 (now 3) failed years and the fallow year, I sort of wandered off for a bit.?

Fingers crosses for some ballot luck!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beaver89 said:

Yes indeed! I wrote the original Thingy post back in early 2013 as my boss at the internship I’d just joined literally wouldn’t give me any work to do. Idle hands and all that. Love seeing what it has evolved into! Though there’s a small piece of me misses the days when we demanded the thingy then would have to spend 10 minutes finding the damn thing!

I’ve been lurking but with 2 (now 3) failed years and the fallow year, I sort of wandered off for a bit.?

Fingers crosses for some ballot luck!

Happy days! :D

Where would we be without people having no work to do?!