Ballot for 50 pairs of tickets

MadScientist

1 minute ago, MadScientist said:

I just think a ballot tho people will apply who can’t be bothered with the stress of an actual sale day “just incase” so would inflate the figures of actual active registrations 

@GlastoEls had a similar theory. At least the current method rewards people for effort. The ballot will just have casuals throwing their name into the hat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Puttycat1 said:

Could there be more than 50 winners? There’s 100 tickets held back but what if someone like me wins who only needs 1 ticket? Will they do another draw for someone who wants one ticket?

If they were selling an odd number of tickets you’d probably improve your chances.

I’d be hoping at least one other person goes for one ticket, if either of you were drawn it would very much help the other (As the vast majority in the ballot will be for two tickets).

1 minute ago, incident said:

In which case you're now requiring all attendees to have a passport, and you're also entering into a whole new area of GDPR.

Better just to keep the existing system, and refine it to remove some of the issues with it crashing out etc.

You're probably right, just trying to consider how a ballot might work.  If part of the ticket allocation went via ballot then those not wishing to divulge this information could abstain and their registration would still be valid for non-ballot tickets.  

In terms of GDPR I'm sure it wouldn't be as simple as saying to people: this is the information we need; this is why we need it; tick here to indicate you're happy with that; and then say thank you, we will store it appropriately.  So maybe other clever ideas not involving passports (just a suggestion) could be thought of.

Largely I'm happy with the system as is.  I don't have full trust that people can't game it, and why could we trust any future system either?  The idea at the moment is that it's luck and everyone has an equal chance - although each person can try with multiple devices or have a team of relatives (or paid people) trying for them - but it feels like tweaking around the edges isn't going to improve the current system too much.

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Entered the ballot for the 50 pairs but even as an unsuccessful person I really hope this isn't some kind of trial for a ballot especially as a friend received his 14th rejection for the London Marathon today. 

Hoping not either. I'd rather not get tickets through pure demand instead of what would feel like a competition. I never win anything.

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Hoping not either. I'd rather not get tickets through pure demand instead of what would feel like a competition. I never win anything.

Yes at least with the sale you can weight things in your favour by getting friends to help and being willing to press f5 over and over. I think a lot of people who think it is too much effort now would be happy to shove their name in a hate and see if it gets picked out. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anyone else thinking they are using this as a test run for a larger ballot based ticket system next year? 

Yeah......maybe not next year but you`d think it could be something they would consider down the line. Everyone throwing their hat in the ring just once without all the big groups adding weight to the servers.

Assume everyone enters the ballot at their leisure before T Day and then it`s run in a heartbeat with emails going out to the "winners" and you have 7 days to pay before they run it again instead of a re-sale with all that brings.

Won`t suit everyone but you can see why they would think about it.

11 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Yeah......maybe not next year but you`d think it could be something they would consider down the line. Everyone throwing their hat in the ring just once without all the big groups adding weight to the servers.

Assume everyone enters the ballot at their leisure before T Day and then it`s run in a heartbeat with emails going out to the "winners" and you have 7 days to pay before they run it again instead of a re-sale with all that brings.

Won`t suit everyone but you can see why they would think about it.

I had a similar idea in a different thread the other day. 

What ever system is used about 90% of the people trying will end up being disappointed. There isn’t a system that will ensure everyone gets a ticket who wants one due to the capacity of the festival which will never be able to cope with the demand for tickets. 

If they are serious about the ballot system then they need a watertight method of stopping duplicate registrations.

For example there are four different variants of my first name I could register with and two on my surname, just a letter here or there and that's it, enough to slip past an automated checking system but not dramatic enough that anyone would actually notice in real life. That's eight different registrations under the current system I could create without anyone noticing, sixteen if I register at my parents' address.

I wouldn't do it because I'm not that unscrupulous, but that will be what they need to stop.

40 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Entered the ballot for the 50 pairs but even as an unsuccessful person I really hope this isn't some kind of trial for a ballot especially as a friend received his 14th rejection for the London Marathon today. 

Yep, aside from the fact I never win ballots ever, it would mean the days of repeat goers (particularly people who have been many times in a row) would be a thing of the past, think it would probably completely change the character of the festival if essentially a completely fresh batch of people went.

However, I know a lot of people who missed out over the years would prefer this and think it's fairer than people (like me!) hogging the tickets for years on end. They probably have a point! But it would just seem a bit weird to have that level of attendee turnover.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, aside from the fact I never win ballots ever, it would mean the days of repeat goers (particularly people who have been many times in a row) would be a thing of the past, think it would probably completely change the character of the festival if essentially a completely fresh batch of people went.

However, I know a lot of people who missed out over the years would prefer this and think it's fairer than people (like me!) hogging the tickets for years on end. They probably have a point! But it would just seem a bit weird to have that level of attendee turnover.

I suppose it depends how hard they've tried - how many people who've really put the effort in have gone more than, say, four festivals without getting a ticket?

50 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I received my rejection for the London Marathon today and was mightily relieved!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Thing is some people are just lucky and I do know a few people who have gotten lucky in the London Marathon ballot a few times whilst others have gotten 14 rejections so it could still happen but it's more impractical with an event that people attend with friends or family anyway. I can never see it happening for that reason. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If they are serious about the ballot system then they need a watertight method of stopping duplicate registrations.

For example there are four different variants of my first name I could register with and two on my surname, just a letter here or there and that's it, enough to slip past an automated checking system but not dramatic enough that anyone would actually notice in real life. That's eight different registrations under the current system I could create without anyone noticing, sixteen if I register at my parents' address.

I wouldn't do it because I'm not that unscrupulous, but that will be what they need to stop.

A5946AAA-3B6E-44E1-8885-3E254E78DDFF.png

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

the festival made a specific request for people to use one device and one browser, saying anything else is against the spirit.  Is it ok to break that rule but not ok have multiple registrations (which, currently, the festival doesn't say is against the rules).