Ballot for 50 pairs of tickets

MadScientist

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Entered , doubt this is the future and maybe used as some sort of incentive after tickets are sold out 

don’t fancy my chances but at least you can’t enter multiple times which is fair 

it’s easy for glastonbury to do a check for multiple records by post code, think maybe it’s time to have a purge on registrations 

I'm registered at my house and my parents house.  Also I'm called John Smith and there are loads of people with my name in my postcode block.  Also I've registered with different names etc.

Just now, uscore said:

I'm registered at my house and my parents house.  Also I'm called John Smith and there are loads of people with my name in my postcode block.  Also I've registered with different names etc.

People are gonna be very bitter if you add multiple registrations mate. 

Just now, uscore said:

I've already got a ticket so won't be entering this ballot.  But I'm promising nothing for future years.

The festival asked us to use one device with one browser this year. Anything else is against the spirit.  Unless you can convince me that everyone followed this guideline, then I'll be doing what I can to increase my chances of getting a ticket next time.

The joke was in the word bitter 

46 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anyone else thinking they are using this as a test run for a larger ballot based ticket system next year? 

I guess they may split the pot into some for us F5 maestro's and xx,000 for ballot. Would move the demographics a little bit, although not sure in what direction!! Remember about a decade or just over ago when ME said "we need young people", I think that's when they started the sale on a Sunday so people wouldn't be at College/Work.

(First post back after a very long break - Hi everyone!!! Missed you all!)

not sure if this happened to any members or got reported elsewhere for others but I am aware of a friend that had their tickets cancelled as the address on the card didn’t match his registration (he has a local reg as his parents lived in the area and he went to uni - fair enough right?). He got his ticket back for this year as he explained the situation and it was the general, not the local sale.

Now I tell this scary story here to do with the multi registration thing. They are already testing ways of clamping down on con-jobs so it may be that they tie it all together in future years.

People will always find a way to get an advantage. I’m in favour of a ballot as I just don’t like the idea of torturing 100s of thousands for half an hour each year. But agree minimising duplicate entries needs careful thought. Ideas of tying to an ID, I personally don’t have an issue but it’s not a great look Is it?

as for my own ticket situation? Missed out on 2017 and 2018 completely and this year had two people for my group get through to payment for it to crash (seems to have been the fault flavour of the year after the ‘not accepting registrations’ of last year). So fingers crossed the Gods of Avalon wish to see me again.

It's just occurred to me - there's another thread speculating about how many people are actually trying for tickets, with some pretty wide ranging estimates. This ballot could be at least partly designed to let the festival know how much actual demand there is - they know they've sold X amount of tickets, and they know that Y amount of registrations have applied for the few that are left, so they should end with a far more accurate number than they'll get from a ticket day scrum.

6 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

not sure if this happened to any members or got reported elsewhere for others but I am aware of a friend that had their tickets cancelled as the address on the card didn’t match his registration (he has a local reg as his parents lived in the area and he went to uni - fair enough right?). He got his ticket back for this year as he explained the situation and it was the general, not the local sale.

Now I tell this scary story here to do with the multi registration thing. They are already testing ways of clamping down on con-jobs so it may be that they tie it all together in future years.

People will always find a way to get an advantage. I’m in favour of a ballot as I just don’t like the idea of torturing 100s of thousands for half an hour each year. But agree minimising duplicate entries needs careful thought. Ideas of tying to an ID, I personally don’t have an issue but it’s not a great look Is it?

as for my own ticket situation? Missed out on 2017 and 2018 completely and this year had two people for my group get through to payment for it to crash (seems to have been the fault flavour of the year after the ‘not accepting registrations’ of last year). So fingers crossed the Gods of Avalon wish to see me again.

That’s odd seeing as most tickets will be bought using a card with absolutely no relation to the names on the registrations. I don’t even know the guy who payed for my tickets.

edit. Do you mean when your friend payed his balance? Rather than the deposit?

Edited by Smeble

I wonder if they are using the ballot to get an idea of the real number of people trying for tickets, I assume they don't currently have any idea how many people are actually trying on T day, just as we don't know. By having a ballot, they will know broadly how many people were unsuccessful and were trying to get a ticket. So the number of registrations in the ballot + 135,000 will give them a pretty accurate idea about how many people were trying for tickets (assuming everyone who was trying on Sunday will enter the ballot, I would guess most will, even though the ballot is only for 2 tickets)

I hope they broadcast how many registrations enter the ballot, it will be fascnitaing to know how many people want tickets

It will also give them an idea about future expansion plans maybe, by giving them a number of how many tickets they could actually sell if capacity was increased?

13 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

That’s odd seeing as most tickets will be bought using a card with absolutely no relation to the names on the registrations. I don’t even know the guy who payed for my tickets.

edit. Do you mean when your friend payed his balance? Rather than the deposit?

Is it something to do with it being a local registration? Might have just flagged up to them that it was a bit dodgy.

28 minutes ago, incident said:

It's also easy though for multiple registrations to use different postcodes.

For example by next October I can guarantee I'll have a second registration against my parents address, probably a 3rd against my sisters address, and maybe a few beyond that.

And for the large syndicates that some people have been moaning about recently, imagine 100 people each with 100 registrations against 100 different postcodes.

Maybe require registrations to be linked to a unique passport before they're valid for entry into future ballots?  I've never gotten into the London Marathon (latest rejection today) but I feel the ballot part of their system is fair - though maybe I'm being naive and everyone else is entering with multiple addresses.  Definitely that would happen for something more valuable like glastonbury, but if entries could be validated (e.g. against a passport) then this could work in the future...

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

It will also give them an idea about future expansion plans maybe, by giving them a number of how many tickets they could actually sell if capacity was increased?

I don't think this one will be a factor unless they have the option to rent the entire county of Somerset.

16 minutes ago, incident said:

It's just occurred to me - there's another thread speculating about how many people are actually trying for tickets, with some pretty wide ranging estimates. This ballot could be at least partly designed to let the festival know how much actual demand there is - they know they've sold X amount of tickets, and they know that Y amount of registrations have applied for the few that are left, so they should end with a far more accurate number than they'll get from a ticket day scrum.

I just think a ballot tho people will apply who can’t be bothered with the stress of an actual sale day “just incase” so would inflate the figures of actual active registrations 

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Maybe require registrations to be linked to a unique passport before they're valid for entry into future ballots?

In which case you're now requiring all attendees to have a passport, and you're also entering into a whole new area of GDPR.

Better just to keep the existing system, and refine it to remove some of the issues with it crashing out etc.