Ballot for 50 pairs of tickets

MadScientist

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anyone else thinking they are using this as a test run for a larger ballot based ticket system next year? 

I've already got a two registrations for me, at different addresses.  If they are going to do a bigger ballot next year then I'll be adding a few more.  

3 minutes ago, uscore said:

I've already got a two registrations for me, at different addresses.  If they are going to do a bigger ballot next year then I'll be adding a few more.  

This is the reason they surely won't do a full scale ballot. Everyone would do this. The current system is the best available.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Anyone else thinking they are using this as a test run for a larger ballot based ticket system next year? 

Quite possibly. Glastonbury tend not to do anything just 'once'. Not sure I like the sound of it, but I suppose 50 pairs won't hurt. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Absolutely not. Far too open to abuse, but great for small-scale keep-punters-on-their-toes things like this.

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

For avoidance of doubt:

Does that answer it?

T&C's say the entrant is the 1st named registration on the entry.  It is not really clear but the way I read that is two registrations could enter as alternatively lead and guest on two ballot entries.

May be wrong though!

EDIT - seems I am wrong as the comments on that tweet seem to have people that have tried that and had the second entry rejected!!

Edited by Northtim

Just now, Northtim said:

Does that answer it?

T&C's say the entrant is the 1st named registration on the entry.  It is not really clear but the way I read that is two registrations could enter as alternatively lead and guest on two ballot entries.

May be wrong though!

You do this on an Excel spreadsheet....

All they will do is make a great big list of each registration number entered, then Remove Duplicates = leave one instance of each registration number but delete any subsequent entries of the same reg number. Then they'll remove any reg numbers that appear in their list of coach or general sale bookings.

19 minutes ago, UEF said:

Imagine four scenarios

1) John and Jane (John as lead booker)

2) Jane and John (Jane as lead booker)

3) Dave and John (Dave as lead booker)

4) John and Dave (John as lead booker)

How many of these would be treated as duplicates and which would survive the filter?

I’ve always hated multi choice questions 

Would've been clearer if they had set it up like the ticket buying process. i.e. if you try and enter the ballot with a registration that has already been entered it stops the entry with the message "this registration number has already been entered into the ballot".

1 minute ago, Northtim said:

Does that answer it?

May be wrong though!

I think it confirms when you've entered which registration numbers you've used so I don't think it really matters who is 1st and who is 2nd. I my be wrong but I think it'll be 1 entry per person regardless of whether you are first or second.

Just now, DareToDibble said:

I think it confirms when you've entered which registration numbers you've used so I don't think it really matters who is 1st and who is 2nd. I my be wrong but I think it'll be 1 entry per person regardless of whether you are first or second.

Yep, that's the impression I got when I saw the confirmation of the two registration numbers I entered.

10 minutes ago, UEF said:

Quite possibly. Glastonbury tend not to do anything just 'once'. Not sure I like the sound of it, but I suppose 50 pairs won't hurt. 

For all of the reasons echoed elsewhere, a full ballot feels like it would be a worse option than the current system, but perhaps they will now hold a certain number of tickets back each year for a small ballot?

While my experiences of ticket buying success and failure over the years strongly lead me to believe it's mostly a question of luck currently anyway, a small sub-ballot would at least allow them to say that there is a pool of tickets for which all applicants have a completely equal chance (providing you can get round the multiple registrations issue somehow).

Edited by stuartasmith85

For all those quoting me above I’ll make an easy reply instead if a monster multi-quote.

If they are using this as a test run for next year I’m hoping they are looking at ways of limiting or tracking multiple registrations. If a ballot system is going to happen in the future, being able to limit people to a single entry is key. 

• Like 1

Entered , doubt this is the future and maybe used as some sort of incentive after tickets are sold out 

don’t fancy my chances but at least you can’t enter multiple times which is fair 

it’s easy for glastonbury to do a check for multiple records by post code, think maybe it’s time to have a purge on registrations 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:55 AM, semmtexx said:

I've bought the glasto book. Looking forward to that arriving anyhow (though ticket less status makes it a bit of a torture). On that note if anyone else has bought the book did you get some kind of email to say you'd been entered into the draw? I mean the Waterstones draw btw. 

Not that I'm clutching at straws.... oh no not at all. 

I’ve bought the book, no email about entering any draw. I’ve also booked tickets to see ME talk at the Yeovil literary festival at the end of this month.

Just now, brettredmayne said:

it’s easy for glastonbury to do a check for multiple records by post code, think maybe it’s time to have a purge on registrations 

It's also easy though for multiple registrations to use different postcodes.

For example by next October I can guarantee I'll have a second registration against my parents address, probably a 3rd against my sisters address, and maybe a few beyond that.

And for the large syndicates that some people have been moaning about recently, imagine 100 people each with 100 registrations against 100 different postcodes.