Superunknown

Mad Cool Festival 2020

MCR are in Western Europe end of June. 

As they've not announced anything in Europe, perhaps this could fit your Friday Mad Cool Theory. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

I'm really just hoping the strokes aren't announcing anything until after their NYE show where they announce a new album and then announce festival dates but maybe I'm just being too optimistic 

If they don't announce anything today or tomorrow, we'll have to wait until mid January to know more names.

It seems kinda weird as they usually release a bunch of bands before Christmas to maximize sales in that period. Which leads me to think that none of Friday's headliners has given permission to announce yet.

So I would say no Beck, no Post Malone, no RHCP.

All points to Strokes / Tame Impala, but I still have doubts about the latter. Too soon to repeat and the album hasn't come out yet so it's unknown if it will be even worth it.

1 hour ago, Hook said:

If they don't announce anything today or tomorrow, we'll have to wait until mid January to know more names.

It seems kinda weird as they usually release a bunch of bands before Christmas to maximize sales in that period. Which leads me to think that none of Friday's headliners has given permission to announce yet.

So I would say no Beck, no Post Malone, no RHCP.

All points to Strokes / Tame Impala, but I still have doubts about the latter. Too soon to repeat and the album hasn't come out yet so it's unknown if it will be even worth it.

It’s strongly believed that MCR are embargoed by Coachella. If they do indeed have a European tour tba it will probably have to wait until after Coachella drops it’s lineup.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s strongly believed that MCR are embargoed by Coachella. If they do indeed have a European tour tba it will probably have to wait until after Coachella drops it’s lineup.

They are already announced for Download in Japan and Australia, but I guess that those are two different circuits...

30 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

They are already announced for Download in Japan and Australia, but I guess that those are two different circuits...

And.... happening before coachella 

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Because they can’t announce MCR.

I think the Strokes pulled out and MCR have been promoted to headline. Maybe they are drafting another co headliner in.

What’s that ‘think Strokes pulled out’ based on? Contradicts what Ken said recently. 

21 hours ago, Big Kahuna said:

Last buzz in Spanish Forums is Beck, who is announced in Beuningen 3-5 july. Only whispers of lust.

Rumoured also that RCHP is signed a long time ago, waiting for announce, people fom the organization leaves enigmatic messages around... I give full credit to this gossip.

All in all, is not possible together  Strokes, RCHP. Beck, MCR, Arcade Fire, Post Malone, Tame Impala, all rumoured projected headliners, but arguably, it,s a probable scenario  2 out of that 7, will be friday,s "cabezonis"

Let,s see

Can you share a link for that? I would like to read whats being said on the Spanish forums 

Stealing directly from the Rock Wertcher thread (credit to Mr Tobs).

Festival is early July and leaked via Event IM. With MCR playing their first show tonight could be announcing their European tour.

Also Sting would be a rather odd welcomed surprise!

kunst-rasen-bonn-tickets-poster.jpg.b21c

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luke Routledge said:

Stealing directly from the Rock Wertcher thread (credit to Mr Tobs).

Festival is early July and leaked via Event IM. With MCR playing their first show tonight could be announcing their European tour.

Also Sting would be a rather odd welcomed surprise!

kunst-rasen-bonn-tickets-poster.jpg.b21c

What a random bunch of names. 

Beck has been announced for Metronome Festival-Prague in June. So he will be doing at least 1 festival in Europe, so maybe Beck is a possibility?

1 hour ago, Dales said:

Beck has been announced for Metronome Festival-Prague in June. So he will be doing at least 1 festival in Europe, so maybe Beck is a possibility?

In Music and Best Kept Secret too, possible not sure if for headline spot

4 minutes ago, amfest12 said:

In Music and Best Kept Secret too, possible not sure if for headline spot

I think you're confusing Best Kept Secret with Down The Rabbit Hole, mate. 

1 hour ago, diogozsz said:

I think you're confusing Best Kept Secret with Down The Rabbit Hole, mate. 

yes you right, too many festivals in The Netherlands 😄

7 hours ago, Dales said:

Presumably as a late afternoon thing before the headliner or something.

Would be up for a UK date though as I've missed a few of his other ones.

36 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Presumably as a late afternoon thing before the headliner or something.

Would be up for a UK date though as I've missed a few of his other ones.

I do hope he makes it some where on the lineup. Showing my age a bit but the last time I saw him was 1995 at Reading Festival.

1 hour ago, Luke Routledge said:

Saw the Strokes announced a festival last night... in Paraguay. Most likely not relevant but at least they are active and announcing festivals for 2020.

Well if they are active there is always a chance. I'm sure, I read somewhere that US bands tend to go to South America and then on to Eurupe on their tours (probably on a thread on here). Then again lots probably don't follow that pattern but ti does give some hope to them popping up somewhere in Europe.

The talk around MCR coming to Europe does seem more credible as them being one of the missing headliners.

Would The Strokes/MCR be to big of a pairing?

12 minutes ago, Dales said:

Well if they are active there is always a chance. I'm sure, I read somewhere that US bands tend to go to South America and then on to Eurupe on their tours (probably on a thread on here). Then again lots probably don't follow that pattern but ti does give some hope to them popping up somewhere in Europe.

The talk around MCR coming to Europe does seem more credible as them being one of the missing headliners.

Would The Strokes/MCR be to big of a pairing?

Just so happens there are a few people on here who have some inside scoop. Apologies I cant remember the user names (EDIT Matt42) but someone in the Reading forums had all the MCR stuff correct before the official announcement and that included Mad Cool Festival but not in a headline spot. 

Another User with a good track record (EDIT Ken19) seems to think the Strokes are nailed on but just delaying things.  

Personally I would love The Strokes/RHCP then MCR to appear in a non headline spot. However that might just be a little too greedy! 

Edited by Luke Routledge
  • Upvote 1

Yep, Strokes have a few South American festival dates in their schedule in March/April (Lollapalooza's, Estereo Picnic and this new confirmation in Paraguay). They are also confirmed for Shaky Knees festival in Atlanta (US) on May 3, what causes some doubt if they will come to Europe this summer...

I still hold out hope, as I have that leaked draft MC poster with The Strokes on it stuck in my head. HAIM shortly posted it on their socials after MC published their poster without the Friday headliners.

8 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Yep, Strokes have a few South American festival dates in their schedule in March/April (Lollapalooza's, Estereo Picnic and this new confirmation in Paraguay). They are also confirmed for Shaky Knees festival in Atlanta (US) on May 3, what causes some doubt if they will come to Europe this summer...

I still hold out hope, as I have that leaked draft MC poster with The Strokes on it stuck in my head. HAIM shortly posted it on their socials after MC published their poster without the Friday headliners.

Reminds me of when Merlyn Wood of BROCKHAMPTON accidentally posted a poster of R&L with Travis Scott on before he was officially confirmed, fingers crossed that this will be the same situation and they'll get announced soon.