Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

1 hour ago, sariris said:

The state of alarm won't be over until May at least, even though the official date is April 11th (trust me, I'm spanish)

Mad Cool will probably be postponed, but idk what's gonna happen with some of the artists.

When I said "as if it's not going to be extended" it was with quite a lot of sarcasm - sorry for not being clearer on an international forum :)

It's ridiculous for them to be suggesting that info will be available on the 11th, when there's no way that Spain will be in the clear by then.

48 minutes ago, bluenova said:

When I said "as if it's not going to be extended" it was with quite a lot of sarcasm - sorry for not being clearer on an international forum :)

It's ridiculous for them to be suggesting that info will be available on the 11th, when there's no way that Spain will be in the clear by then.

Oh no no, I got the sarcasm! I just wanted to say what we think will be the most accurate date (well, month: May) just in case somebody else still thinks that this will be over in two weeks!

• Upvote 1

Mad cool are advertising Billie on their Facebook story even though she's supposedly pulled all of her 2020 shows and rescheduled to 2021? I presume that means she wouldn't be planning on coming to mad cool either, so strange they are continuing to advertise her, guess they are still trying to push ticket sales.

Edited by FestivalJamie

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey we can rest easy because we'll get a refund if the festival is cancelled due to covid-19!!! When they talk about force majeure, I think they mean cancellation due to the weather. Which is logical giving that everything would be ready then, so they would need the money to cover everything.

Covid-19 is not "force majeure". And even if they (or whatever website you got your tickets from) took the situation as a force majeure, they would have to give us a refund. It would be illegal not to.

My father found all the information online because I was a bit stressed about it, so I can't post the articles or whatever (they were probably in spanish too). But yeah, it's true!

14 hours ago, sariris said:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey we can rest easy because we'll get a refund if the festival is cancelled due to covid-19!!! When they talk about force majeure, I think they mean cancellation due to the weather. Which is logical giving that everything would be ready then, so they would need the money to cover everything.

Covid-19 is not "force majeure". And even if they (or whatever website you got your tickets from) took the situation as a force majeure, they would have to give us a refund. It would be illegal not to.

My father found all the information online because I was a bit stressed about it, so I can't post the articles or whatever (they were probably in spanish too). But yeah, it's true!

Thanks for this! 

I wouldnt be surprised if they try and do a dirty on people and refuse refunds though but the backlash and bad publicity might force them to. 

If they offer refunds or to keep your ticket for 2021 I think I'll keep mine.. Imagine 75% of the 2020 headlines coming back with the potential of Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, whoever else is potentially around... could be a cracking year to make up for all the missed opportunities this one! 

14 hours ago, sariris said:

I’m sorry but this is a bit naive.

It doesn’t matter if it is “illegal” not to refund, if they have less money in the bank than the costs of refunding everyone, they will not be refunding everyone.

I think they will refund people but this is poor information. 

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It doesn’t matter if it is “illegal” not to refund, if they have less money in the bank than the costs of refunding everyone, they will not be refunding everyone.

Major festivals have insurance coverages for those kind of event. If they have not, the festival organization will most likely bankrupt - as simple as that.

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not naive, idk how things work in other countries but here in Spain when a lawyer (my father read this on a lawyer website, they were giving info about this because a lot of people had questions) says that they must give our money back regardless of their policies, because this Covid-19 situation is different, they must. We could legally sue them for this. So trust me, they will give us all a refund. They can't try anything dirty. + Other festivals are refunding.

And if you're that negative, keep it to yourself. A lot of people were nervous about this and I'm giving facts so they can be calm until we have more info about the festival, you just threw them away just because “yes this festival can break the law because they're broke!!!!” okay i'm broke so i'm gonna steal some things!!!! lol

If it were the case and Mad Cool didn't give us a refund though, I would call my lawyer and tell you anything they say. But we will have our money back for sure.

7 minutes ago, sariris said:

It's not naive, idk how things work in other countries but here in Spain when a lawyer (my father read this on a lawyer website, they were giving info about this because a lot of people had questions) says that they must give our money back regardless of their policies, because this Covid-19 situation is different, they must. We could legally sue them for this. So trust me, they will give us all a refund. They can't try anything dirty. + Other festivals are refunding.

And if you're that negative, keep it to yourself. A lot of people were nervous about this and I'm giving facts so they can be calm until we have more info about the festival, you just threw them away just because “yes this festival can break the law because they're broke!!!!” okay i'm broke so i'm gonna steal some things!!!! lol

If it were the case and Mad Cool didn't give us a refund though, I would call my lawyer and tell you anything they say. But we will have our money back for sure.

What xxialac is saying is if the company don't have the cash to refund, they'll bankrupt, dissolve, whatever and then they won't refund because they no longer exist as a business. If there is no cash they can't magic up the refunds. 

Sure this won't be the situation so no worries anyway, but think you are misinterpreting him :) 

Edited by DarthSaul
Note- My interpretation of xxialac

8 minutes ago, sariris said:

I’m not being negative, I’m pointing out a critical flaw in your commentary.

You are making false promises about what the festival can and can’t do which betrays a real naivety.

With respect it is obvious you have no business experience and I’d suggest you only make bold proclamations that are based on fact or understanding, neither of which are apparent here.

33 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

What xxialac is saying is if the company don't have the cash to refund, they'll bankrupt, dissolve, whatever and then they won't refund because they no longer exist as a business. If there is no cash they can't magic up the refunds. 

Sure this won't be the situation so no worries anyway, but think you are misinterpreting him :) 

How? they wouldn't have to pay the artists and some other stuff...  xxialac is talking about a situation that won't be happening for sure. I would agree if it was weather related, but this is not the same situation.

And about what xxialac said, don't make assumptions about people you don't know anything about. It's true that I didn't get what you said (and sorry for that), and I would agree with you if Mad Cool was a small festival BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LIVE NATION FOR GOD'S SAKE THEY WON'T BANKRUPT LOL do you even know the festival???? they have A LOT of money (Madrid also gave them money last year for the making of Mad Cool 2020)

Anyways, you can find all the information here https://www.ocu.org/ you can even call to ask about this situation, they will tell you what I said.

13 minutes ago, sariris said:

How? they wouldn't have to pay the artists and some other stuff...  xxialac is talking about a situation that won't be happening for sure. I would agree if it was weather related, but this is not the same situation.

And about what xxialac said, don't make assumptions about people you don't know anything about. It's true that I didn't get what you said (and sorry for that), and I would agree with you if Mad Cool was a small festival BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LIVE NATION FOR GOD'S SAKE THEY WON'T BANKRUPT LOL do you even know the festival???? they have A LOT of money (Madrid also gave them money last year for the making of Mad Cool 2020)

Anyways, you can find all the information here https://www.ocu.org/ you can even call to ask about this situation, they will tell you what I said.

Ok fair enough, thanks.

1 hour ago, sariris said:

A Force Majeure wouldn't always (or even usually be weather related) as most festivals will explicitly mention weather, and are likely to have insurance for it (it's mentioned in Mad Cool's Ts and Cs). The internet is also full of law firms websites explaining why Covid *might* or *might not* be a force majeure event.

HOWEVER, the link you sent does suggest that the laws Spain introduced to deal with Covid cover cancelled events and refunds specifically - and appears to be as reassuring as you say. So, it may be nothing to do with Mad Cool's terms or normal contract law - it's a very specific set of rules that the Spanish govt introduced to deal with Covid.

I'm not a lawyer though, I'm only reading a translation, and I also don't know if it would apply to resellers in other countries for Spanish events, but I can understand you're point :)

Would very much hope for an option of a refund even if they manage to get a rescheduled date in there - I won't be travelling abroad anywhere in September for example when this is all going on. I don't think I'll even be going to UK gigs at that time either, even if these (imo ambitious) rescheduled gigs over here actually happen.

Wasn't there talk of them losing their venue next year? 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know that to do my next instalment comes out in the 9th and I don’t know weather to cancel my card or pay and wait to get a refund. I only wanted to see Billie anyway !! I’m so confused and stressed especially as I’m paying for a spare ticket in installemnts

9 hours ago, Swaydeto said:

I don’t know that to do my next instalment comes out in the 9th and I don’t know weather to cancel my card or pay and wait to get a refund. I only wanted to see Billie anyway !! I’m so confused and stressed especially as I’m paying for a spare ticket in installemnts

If you can afford to keep paying, keep paying- you'll eventually get a refund. If you can't afford to keep paying then you'll have to stomach losing everything you've paid so far. Not ideal but if needs must.. 

34 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

If you can afford to keep paying, keep paying- you'll eventually get a refund. If you can't afford to keep paying then you'll have to stomach losing everything you've paid so far. Not ideal but if needs must.. 

I’m not even sure how to stop the payments other than to say my card has been lost 😭

2 hours ago, Swaydeto said:

I’m not even sure how to stop the payments other than to say my card has been lost 😭

I'd still suggest contacting them - always worth a try.

If you don't get a response, and you keep paying, then the worst that can happen is you lose the final payments you've made (if you stop you probably lose what you've paid already anyway). I know that may seem like a lot, especially if you've lost work due to Covid, but you were originally also planning to pay out on flights and accommodation,  which you wouldn't be if things get cancelled, and if you're stuck inside like the rest of us, you're likely not spending much money either. 

I obviously don't know your situation, and I know from personal experience that a lot of people are struggling financially, but if the worst thing that happens to any of us this year is the loss of the price of a couple of Mad Cool tickets, then we'll have been very lucky.

Try to stay positive and look forward to your next gig when this is all over 🙂 

On 4/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, sariris said:

To prove my point (which you reacted so strongly against, showing a fundamental lack of understanding about business), Bonnaroo Festival has just announced no refunds.

Who is Bonnaroo owned by?

Live Nation.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

To prove my point (which you reacted so strongly against, showing a fundamental lack of understanding about business), Bonnaroo Festival has just announced no refunds.

Who is Bonnaroo owned by?

Live Nation.

I thought it was rescheduled as opposed to cancelled. Of course if you can’t make the new dates and it doesn’t sell out that would kinda suck....

Just now, Steve. said:

I thought it was rescheduled as opposed to cancelled. Of course if you can’t make the new dates and it doesn’t sell out that would kinda suck....

Absolutely right. The point here is that having a 'rich parent' didn't guarantee refunds.

And my original comment was about how irresponsible it was to guarantee at this stage that MadCool will refund people. I think they will, but no one can promise that. If MadCool doesn't have enough money in their account, it doesn't matter who the owner is...

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Absolutely right. The point here is that having a 'rich parent' didn't guarantee refunds.

And my original comment was about how irresponsible it was to guarantee at this stage that MadCool will refund people. I think they will, but no one can promise that. If MadCool doesn't have enough money in their account, it doesn't matter who the owner is...

Yes sure, if any of these companies go bankrupt there won’t be refunds....I’m about 1,000 euros deep for summer festivals/gigs this year so hope it doesn’t come to that 😬

18 minutes ago, Steve. said:

Yes sure, if any of these companies go bankrupt there won’t be refunds....I’m about 1,000 euros deep for summer festivals/gigs this year so hope it doesn’t come to that 😬

Sounds bad, sorry to hear that. 

Think there will be a mix of full refunds, defer ticket to next year and in a few cases no refunds. Suspect Mad Cool will be in the first camp but definitely still needs to be confirmed.