Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

2 minutes ago, Luke Routledge said:

I think looking at it from a UK Festival point of view. A day of Mumford, Royal Blood, Alt J and Haim would be considered pretty strong. Along with Nothing But Thieves and Frank Carter there is plenty that day to keep me happy. MCR and the Strokes would have been incredible but the lineup is still really strong regardless!

Maybe for V Fest, but I think if Leeds and reading announced that or glastonbury it'd be the same reaction MC has received. 

Mad Cool: We won't have to say sorry for the remaining acts.

*Mad Cool announces Mumford&Sons and Royal Blood as Friday's headliner*
Also Mad Cool:  From now on, Alt-J is also a headliner on Friday.

Anyway, I'm happy with Mumford, but I don't know RB,  so it's time to listen some of their material.

3 minutes ago, lukecork said:

Maybe for V Fest, but I think if Leeds and reading announced that or glastonbury it'd be the same reaction MC has received. 

Think v fest is more the Wednesday 

Reading and leeds would look alot stronger with mumford, Royal blood, Haim and alt j on one day.. All reading bands

Just now, lukecork said:

It wasn't an awfully long time ago when Mumford headlined Leeds and a couple of years ago for Lattuide. Seem to remember they got a decent enough reaction from both sets. More recently headlined Rock Werchter and Sziget both similar sized European festivals. I get the disappointment but a long way off a poor booking in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, CCester said:

Mad Cool: We won't have to say sorry for the remaining acts.

*Mad Cool announces Mumford&Sons and Royal Blood as Friday's headliner*
Also Mad Cool:  From now on, Alt-J is also a headliner on Friday.

Anyway, I'm happy with Mumford, but I don't know RB,  so it's time to listen some of their material.

I'd be amazed if you didnt recognise 5-7 Royal Blood songs from just general life - their songs seemed to be everywhere for a while. Maybe that's why I hate them...

3 minutes ago, dip said:

Yeah, that's a fine announcement. On the whole, Mad Cool still has one of the strongest lineups in Europe

This is true- got tickets before this with hope for The Strokes but based on a good lineup already.

I really like the smaller acts this year - sea girls, sam fender, sports team. Then bigger undercard like Paul Weller, Parcels, wolf alice, pale waves - even Foals. 

For headliners I'm really looking forward to Kings of Leon, may not watch the Killers again but that could change if i like the new album. Hopefully will have seen Taylor Swift at Glasto (resale permitting!) But if not she'll be another must see. 

A lot of depth there

I completely understand that Mumford & Sons are...not the most popular, particularly in the eFestivals community, but from a more casual perspective, they're unquestionably a headline level booking. They've headlined Glastonbury at their peak, regularly sell out arena shows around the world, headlined British Summer Time a few years back and headlined All Points East last year. Granted, their APE day sold less than The Strokes' APE day did, but The Strokes hadn't played in London for 4 years at that point, so it's not an entirely like for like comparison.

It's obviously disappointing for fans of The Strokes that Mad Cool seem to have had them and lost them, and My Chemical Romance would obviously have been great given it's a comeback and they're actually not around all that much, but Mumford & Sons are objectively a replacement booking of the right stature, even if people on here don't personally love them.

Royal Blood's a bit more of a gamble, but if their third album is strong, their booking could turn out to be surprisingly forward-thinking.

• Upvote 2

Its hard for me to pitch that its a "cool" festival when my friends would give an immediate hard no to something headlined with Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Mumford & Sons....Doesn't mean these aren't huge acts. They are massive, but just are not my scene. For me, M&S has changed the complexion of the festival. I know there are great rock acts peppered across the poster and overall still has positives.....but seeing those headliners are enough for rock/alternative music fans to immediately shut off and look elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

Thanks @YunT, I knew there‘s truth to what you said.
The last 20 pages were entertaining but unnecessary. 😅

I was told that morning about a combo of Tame Impala & Royal Blood, but I should have wait a little bit more as my source was receiving the info right at that moment.

That's the reason why I posted quickly here that the combo was w/ Mumford instead of Tame Impala. I'm sorry if I didn't give the right info at the right time, but I did redeem myself quickly by correcting it.

• Upvote 1

And I'm not planning to question the quality or value of the info Ken19 provides to this forum (as he is always delivering real and good stuff) but I was told otherwise about the whole Kendrick Lamar thing at MC. 

The directors of the fest are not sold on rap or hip hop acts as headliners due to a lack of profitability in the spanish market.

Spaniards don't have the same hip hop or rap culture as french or british people, that's the reason why big tours from big rappers (or even R&B singers) never have a date in Spain.

I was very sad when they lost My Chemical Romance.

So No disappointment for me, understand that Royal Blood are not so big, but they are great band, and i prefer Royal Blood then Kendrick, RHCP or Liam. Friday looks great: Royal Blood, Nothing But Thieves, Frank Carter, Highly Suspect, Black Pumas, Alt J!

Still best line up in Europe

4 minutes ago, pryce said:

Yep if you step back a look at the depth it's an incredible line up, bands on every like I want to see.. Clashes will be horrible 

All comes down to personal taste and as a mainstream festival it has to cater for a wide variety of tastes. For me it’s okay but not spectacular. I like rock music so FNM are my highlight along with stuff like Deftones, Frank Carter etc. There’s just about enough to keep me happy but I’m hoping the handful of bands I want to see don’t clash 

4 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

Maybe it's because of being non-English person but I really can't understand all the hate towards Mumford & Sons 🤨

They are a bland and uninspired booking that wouldn't receive as much hate if a) we didn't know we should've got the strokes instead and b) they had a decent co-head.