Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

If there's bands that haven't announced any dates yet at the very least it means their active... but that's probably about it. Getting quite frustrated now because I'm a Strokes announcement away from buying tickets, but the longer it goes on the more I'm looking elsewhere out of fear of missing them.

Hopefully there's something this week or next at the latest otherwise we're up to March with the main sellers of a day missing.

Edited by AAlex

20 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I honestly thought the consensus was with The Strokes now not doing this. Tbf the thing about letting Haim's social media team post they were doing it without any previous announcement that they were was pretty daft.

I thought it had some credibility as Julian Casablancas and Danielle Haim have  worked together in the past (he “spotted” her at a gig and asked her to play backing guitar on his tour). 

1 hour ago, Burrito88 said:

I thought it had some credibility as Julian Casablancas and Danielle Haim have  worked together in the past (he “spotted” her at a gig and asked her to play backing guitar on his tour). 

Sure. I'm aware they have a history together so the two on the same day is not a terrible idea - decent history, even. Its more the festival promoters themselves jus getting ahead of themselves.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:31 AM, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

IMHO, he is the on ,c41ly legacy-act in the hip hop scene nowaday and one of the main representatives of the early 00s music. 

Might have aged fairly bad (not that anybody expected the opposite, quite frankly), but he still resides in the category of performers "you gotta see, cause you owe it to the your younger self" for many born in the early 90s.

Edited by fronts84
I didn't mean 2 comment on that post

The Strokes were great tonight in London. Sadly I only had a seating ticket but still fun seeing how the crowd was going mad in the pit. They are back at they top form and MC are going to miss hugely if they don't get them. Thought I would be happy seeing them just this time but now I'm thinking of buying tickets somewhere else. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

The Strokes were great tonight in London. Sadly I only had a seating ticket but still fun seeing how the crowd was going mad in the pit. They are back at they top form and MC are going to miss hugely if they don't get them. Thought I would be happy seeing them just this time but now I'm thinking of buying tickets somewhere else. 

I was in the pit 😁

They were reeeeeally loud from my position but enjoyed every bit of it. Most importantly, they seem to enjoy playing together which makes huge difference. The tunes were always there.

I'll still be surprised if I don't see them again in Mad Cool.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, lukecork said:

Does anyone know if Primavera paid for a spain exclusive for The Strokes?

If all the consideration of "The Strokes dropping out when negotiation was advanced" were true, the answer is no, simply because at the time Primavera had no Spanish exclusive over them. If those considerations are true, Primavera later turned to be an exclusive show (at least for the festival circuit, since, once we exclude MC, BBK is the only other one able to get them, and they had them the last year). 

In other words, this is not a point.  The Strokes are becoming the My Chemical Romance of February in this forum, and this is annoying in the same exact way: it is really reasonable to believe that they are gone-GONE, as they are announcing different legs of their tour right now. Accept it, deal with it, go over it, buy a ticket for their show elsewhere.

I'm sorry to be the dickhead, but this thread is turning more and more into a conspiration theory, where people forces themselves to see signs and stuff: if MC had them they would already announce them, now they lost the sensation leverage anyway, as they have been announced basically everywhere in the whole summer duration or so, so people bought their tickets already and MC wouldn''t make much more money on announcing them (even if they had them).

If selling are going good, they will opt for something cheap, if not they will probably turn to something cheesy - as time is passing day by day and acts have already scheduled their tour for the best part. Both the cases, the probability of having some "state-of-the-art" announcement are getting thinner day by day: think about it, how many times you saw a festival announcing your favorite show as last resort? In my case it happend twice maybe in over 7 years and that was just a matter sheer luck.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

I have said many many times  -  i saw the strokes three times in similar sized venues to the roundhouse  -  Amazing

Saw them 3 times at festivals  -  not amazing 

Completely different  -  to me they get lost on a main stage  

This happens to quote a few bands, royal Blood, Alt J to name another couple.

If you REALLY REALLY want to see the strokes  -  go and see them on their own tour  -  it will be better. 

I personally could not make a judgement call on a festival on one band!

11 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

If all the consideration of "The Strokes dropping out when negotiation was advanced" were true, the answer is no, simply because at the time Primavera had no Spanish exclusive over them. If those considerations are true, Primavera later turned to be an exclusive show (at least for the festival circuit, since, once we exclude MC, BBK is the only other one able to get them, and they had them the last year). 

In other words, this is not a point.  The Strokes are becoming the My Chemical Romance of February in this forum, and this is annoying in the same exact way: it is really reasonable to believe that they are gone-GONE, as they are announcing different legs of their tour right now. Accept it, deal with it, go over it, buy a ticket for their show elsewhere.

I'm sorry to be the dickhead, but this thread is turning more and more into a conspiration theory, where people forces themselves to see signs and stuff: if MC had them they would already announce them, now they lost the sensation leverage anyway, as they have been announced basically everywhere in the whole summer duration or so, so people bought their tickets already and MC wouldn''t make much more money on announcing them (even if they had them).

If selling are going good, they will opt for something cheap, if not they will probably turn to something cheesy - as time is passing day by day and acts have already scheduled their tour for the best part. Both the cases, the probability of having some "state-of-the-art" announcement are getting thinner day by day: think about it, how many times you saw a festival announcing your favorite show as last resort? In my case it happend twice maybe in over 7 years and that was just a matter sheer luck.

I'm not even a massive Strokes fan, know about 10 songs at most lmao just asked a question.

21 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Hardly the MCR of February. Some people have obviously just not followed the whole thread and not seen that it's now very unlikely that they're playing. I would recommend to others waiting for the Strokes to just give up though, it's a long-shot now. 

18 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Completely different  -  to me they get lost on a main stage  

This happens to quote a few bands, royal Blood, Alt J to name another couple.

Absolutely smashed it on the biggest stage of all, the Pyramid Stage.

8 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

I was one of those people, incredible gig!

15 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

You are assuming they do not have any headliner booked at this stage for Friday, because if they would, they would have announced it already,.

If that's true, The Strokes has the same possibilities of being booked as any other band/artist touring during those dates. And being honest, The Strokes are not a deal breaker for me, love the lineup already, but let the people dream about their options anyway :)

If they are on desperate mode, they will pay The Strokes whatever it needs to be paid. Unless there are couple of acts we do not know yet they are touring. Where the hell are Black Keys? Were they not suppossed to come to Europe this year? Anyway, we will need someone bigger than them for Friday I guess.

BTW, will not take so much importance to the sales. There was a limited number of 4-day ticket on sale so they could squeeze more euros selling more 3-day ticket and individual tickets. Friday and Saturday are always the big nights in the festival and the ones bringing more 1-day ticket sales so pretty sure they want to pull out something good for Friday.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JBVelas said:

You are assuming they do not have any headliner booked at this stage for Friday, because if they would, they would have announced it already,.

If that's true, The Strokes has the same possibilities of being booked as any other band/artist touring during those dates. And being honest, The Strokes are not a deal breaker for me, love the lineup already, but let the people dream about their options anyway :)

If they are on desperate mode, they will pay The Strokes whatever it needs to be paid. Unless there are couple of acts we do not know yet they are touring. Where the hell are Black Keys? Were they not suppossed to come to Europe this year? Anyway, we will need someone bigger than them for Friday I guess.

BTW, will not take so much importance to the sales. There was a limited number of 4-day ticket on sale so they could squeeze more euros selling more 3-day ticket and individual tickets. Friday and Saturday are always the big nights in the festival and the ones bringing more 1-day ticket sales so pretty sure they want to pull out something good for Friday.

Ken made it clear: for some bands it is not only a matter of money - or better, money is just the starting point, a festival has also to provide a worthwhile service in the process. Massive Attack's situation showed that Mad Cool can be awful at that and this can be a fatality of this element. I prefer to have a weak headliner rather than standing in front of an empty stage waiting for somebody to never show up, so I can live with that. Plus The Strokes are not a deal breaker for me either, and I'm going to Sziget anyway, just to make it clear.

Another element I'd like to point out: The Strokes is a fairly capricious band to book, that is common knowledge, so it is more likely that, if Mad Cool is actually that desperate (which I guess is not), they wil go for something cheesier or easier to charm with money, rather than a band that has all the leverage tools on its side to lead a negotiation and that already costs a fortune.

About The Black Keys, they won't tour Europe this summer.

57 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Hardly the MCR of February. Some people have obviously just not followed the whole thread and not seen that it's now very unlikely that they're playing. I would recommend to others waiting for the Strokes to just give up though, it's a long-shot now. 

I know we are not talking about the same exact situation, but I feel some collective-neurosis-vibe over here and somebody has to tell things the way they are more likely to be, from time to time. I'm not enjoying the title of an insider or a leaker, but as I'm not so into The Strokes, I have to admit there are some heavy biases going on in this thread. Might be only me, though, in this case I can only offer my apologies.

17 hours ago, Super Johnny Fos said:

This has been announced for the week after Mad Cool....

Could we add Yeah Yeah Yeahs to the list of potentials? Quite fancy Big Thief to play one of the subs too if they are around. 

Would love to see the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's announced!

2 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I know we are not talking about the same exact situation, but I feel some collective-neurosis-vibe over here and somebody has to tell things the way they are more likely to be, from time to time. I'm not enjoying the title of an insider or a leaker, but as I'm not so into The Strokes, I have to admit there are some heavy biases going on in this thread. Might be only me, though, in this case I can only offer my apologies.

I know what you're saying and no need to apologise but to be fair to those still asking about them, there was every reason for the Strokes to play - they looked the most obvious headliner to book and their dates mean they still look very likely to anyone who hasn't been following this thread religiously. And of course, they were on a poster leaker by a major artist on the line-up. That's good reason to be asking the question, it's not down to the pure faith of Strokes fans. However, I agree we should move on following Ken's message, I just don't expect everyone to have read it. 

33 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I know what you're saying and no need to apologise but to be fair to those still asking about them, there was every reason for the Strokes to play - they looked the most obvious headliner to book and their dates mean they still look very likely to anyone who hasn't been following this thread religiously. And of course, they were on a poster leaker by a major artist on the line-up. That's good reason to be asking the question, it's not down to the pure faith of Strokes fans. However, I agree we should move on following Ken's message, I just don't expect everyone to have read it. 

I think this forum is also a great platform to speculate and share 'theories', if the dates fit around an artist schedule (realistically) their name should be thrown in the hat. Another example is MCR, had no reason not to play MC and have an active July, however they're now scheduled to play Kiev on the 9th and Moscow the 11th, an example of things changing. Thus meaning they're not a realistic headliner now as that's a mammoth ask/almost impossible but were heavily discussed to headlining.

Edited by lukecork