Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

first time coming to mad cool fest, previously been to benicassim so will be interesting to see the dynamic change going to a festival in a city rather than one on the coast. whats the crack with getting back from the festival? i've vaguely seen that shuttle buses go to Plaza Castilla, is it hard getting back into the centre of madrid after that at 4/5am or would you suggest staying closer to Plaza Castilla itself? we're a group of 8 looking to get an airbnb and a lot of us are looking to go into central madrid every day so we're not sure where to situate ourselves at the moment, any help would be appreciated 

I've been feeling a bit down after realising they've screwed up with the Strokes. I went over the lineup day by day again and I'm so glad I did that as I was reminded yet again how stacked the lineup is already, with more good stuff coming (eventually). 

@Taya Although the info regarding public transport comes really late it's safe to assume there will be shuttle buses going to plaza castilla (only stopping there). I'd suggest you find a place that's a) near the plaza castilla or the festival site and b) near the metro. It's way easier to go the center during the day than coming back at 4am. 

12 hours ago, Taya said:

first time coming to mad cool fest, previously been to benicassim so will be interesting to see the dynamic change going to a festival in a city rather than one on the coast. whats the crack with getting back from the festival? i've vaguely seen that shuttle buses go to Plaza Castilla, is it hard getting back into the centre of madrid after that at 4/5am or would you suggest staying closer to Plaza Castilla itself? we're a group of 8 looking to get an airbnb and a lot of us are looking to go into central madrid every day so we're not sure where to situate ourselves at the moment, any help would be appreciated 

Last year they had free shuttle buses to Castilla, and from Castilla they had extra buses to Cibeles (1.50 EUR). It took only 45 minutes to get from the festival site to my hotel near Retiro.

I'll be honest, after seeing the Strokes 3 times by Room on fire was released - i did well - they were amazing 

Everytime I have seen them since at festivals they have been bitterly disappointing. 

The new single hardly set my world alight either. 

I personally think we have dodged a bullet! 

Edited by jonnytee1

1 hour ago, -Roger- said:

Last year they had free shuttle buses to Castilla, and from Castilla they had extra buses to Cibeles (1.50 EUR). It took only 45 minutes to get from the festival site to my hotel near Retiro.

This if the first time I've seen people mention the extra buses! Were they all night? And put on by the festival? Hotel is about 5 mins from Cibeles

I think they are talking about the nocturnal buses (i think in Madrid they call them "búhos"), you just have to check them online. To go to Cibeles from Castilla you have to take the N23 (26 mins) https://goo.gl/maps/MJvpXhbeitXR85LE9 there you have the map and times https://www.madridbuses.com/autobuses-nocturnos/horarios-n23-madrid.html#horario-vuelta

EDIT: If someone needs help w/ buses/transportation/anything, let me know!!! I'm spanish.

Edited by sariris
  • Upvote 2

It doesn't really matter how The Strokes will perform this summer. They have a brand new album after 6 years. It's a huge miss. A lot of people said the same thing about Arctic Monkeys' performance in 2018 yet they brought the biggest crowd to Mad Cool after Pearl Jam. After the cancellation of Doctor Music, this was going to be their third performance in Spain since 2015 after Bilbao BBk last year and Primavera this year.

Tame Impala is dead silent about their gap in June 14th-July 17th. They announce most of their tours in batches so they might be one of the headliners which will get announced soon 

18 minutes ago, sariris said:

I think they are talking about the nocturnal buses (i think in Madrid they call them "búhos"), you just have to check them online. To go to Cibeles from Castilla you have to take the N23 (26 mins) https://goo.gl/maps/MJvpXhbeitXR85LE9 there you have the map and times https://www.madridbuses.com/autobuses-nocturnos/horarios-n23-madrid.html#horario-vuelta

EDIT: If someone needs help w/ buses/transportation/anything, let me know!!! I'm spanish.

Also checking Google maps it looks like there are trains all night from Castilla to Sol as well. And that is close to my hotel 

36 minutes ago, sariris said:

Thanks for the offer. We’re staying about 10-15 walk west (i think) from Real Madrid ground. What’s our best way to get too and from the festival? Thanks

Edit - Staying just off Calle Ntra. Sra. del Carmen, if that helps

Edited by Red Day

6 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Thanks for the offer. We’re staying about 10-15 walk west (i think) from Real Madrid ground. What’s our best way to get too and from the festival? Thanks

Okay, it's very easy to go to the festival from there. You just have to take line 10 from Santiago Bernabéu metro station to Chamartin (3 stops, around 5 mins) and take the C1 train from there to Valdebebas (2 stops, around 15 mins). https://goo.gl/maps/NRQAGZDXtHgwXpH17 To get from the festival you have to take the shuttle bus (free) to Plaza Castilla, and the N24 búho (night bus) from there to the Lima - Santiago Bernabéu stop, around 30 mins, veeeeery easy as well. https://goo.gl/maps/TUpXzT3nsMR9DQaT8

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sariris said:

Okay, it's very easy to go to the festival from there. You just have to take line 10 from Santiago Bernabéu metro station to Chamartin (3 stops, around 5 mins) and take the C1 train from there to Valdebebas (2 stops, around 15 mins). https://goo.gl/maps/NRQAGZDXtHgwXpH17 To get from the festival you have to take the shuttle bus (free) to Plaza Castilla, and the N24 búho (night bus) from there to the Lima - Santiago Bernabéu stop, around 30 mins, veeeeery easy as well. https://goo.gl/maps/TUpXzT3nsMR9DQaT8

You're a star, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pryce said:

This if the first time I've seen people mention the extra buses! Were they all night? And put on by the festival? Hotel is about 5 mins from Cibeles

I don't know if the extra buses ran all night, but they did after the festival ended and before the metro started. It was very convenient. They were ran by the city, as a shuttle service without any stops, since I guess they didn't want a lot of people ending up in Castilla in the early morning hours. You had to have exact change for the bus fare.

Edited by -Roger-

1 hour ago, birchtree29 said:

It doesn't really matter how The Strokes will perform this summer. They have a brand new album after 6 years. It's a huge miss. A lot of people said the same thing about Arctic Monkeys' performance in 2018 yet they brought the biggest crowd to Mad Cool after Pearl Jam. After the cancellation of Doctor Music, this was going to be their third performance in Spain since 2015 after Bilbao BBk last year and Primavera this year.

Tame Impala is dead silent about their gap in June 14th-July 17th. They announce most of their tours in batches so they might be one of the headliners which will get announced soon 

The name Arctic Monkeys sells tickets but they are again another band that i wish i had not bothered watching  - in 2018 that set was awful, Jack White on the same day was MUCH better.

Mad cool already has the names to sell tickets  - in fact i don't care if they sell all tickets or not  - i have mine so headliners i like is definitely more beneficial to me than a " sell out"

6 minutes ago, asiankwok said:

Not headliners but what is the likelihood of Metronomy playing? They're in Serbia on the 9th then France on the 13th, probably a long shot? Would love them to play!

Would be a good addition but not too sure if they are likely. Lana del Rey is playing Glastonbury which means she seems to be Europe a but later than already stated. Is she likely?

3 hours ago, sariris said:

Hi! We are staying in Calle Mayor, quite close to Puerta del Sol. How easy would it be to get back here after the festival each night?

4 hours ago, asiankwok said:

Not headliners but what is the likelihood of Metronomy playing? They're in Serbia on the 9th then France on the 13th, probably a long shot? Would love them to play!

They played last year at the opening party, slim chances.

2 hours ago, Ayo17 said:

Hi! We are staying in Calle Mayor, quite close to Puerta del Sol. How easy would it be to get back here after the festival each night?

Take the shuttle bus to Plaza de Castilla and I suggest you to take an uber from there if you're  getting back before 4:00 a.m 😕 or else it will take you more than 1 hour to get to the hotel. Either that, or take the N23 bus from Castilla to Cibeles, and walk those 15 mins that -Roger- said. After 4:00 a.m you can take a train from Valdebebas to Sol, it's easier.

3 hours ago, sariris said:

Take the shuttle bus to Plaza de Castilla and I suggest you to take an uber from there if you're  getting back before 4:00 a.m 😕 or else it will take you more than 1 hour to get to the hotel. Either that, or take the N23 bus from Castilla to Cibeles, and walk those 15 mins that -Roger- said. After 4:00 a.m you can take a train from Valdebebas to Sol, it's easier.

Don’t trust Google. The trains don’t start running until after 6 am.

18 minutes ago, -Roger- said:

Don’t trust Google. The trains don’t start running until after 6 am.

It might have changed, since it says online (on the renfe website) that trains stop working at 22:15 and when I check the online app it says "next train arriving at 23:05". I'm gonna ask some friends though... (I also thought that they didn't start running until that time but now google has messed up with my mind)

Just in case, shuttle buses are always the answer to whatever destination. Plaza de Castilla is connected to almost every part of the city, that's why the stop is there. AND DON'T TAKE AN UBER DIRECTLY FROM THE FESTIVAL, THEY'RE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THOSE WAITING IN PLAZA DE CASTILLA.

Edited by sariris

17 minutes ago, clasher said:

Is it easy to get uber from plaza de castilla at 3-4am? I would imagine demand was quite high... 

That's what I read online! Apparently a lot of drivers are waiting in plaza de castilla just in case someone needs an uber, because it's cheaper from there... Even though the demand is "high" everybody is leaving the festival progressively, not at once (unless you're leaving when it closes, but there's not a lot of people left at that point, or at least not as many). Besides, most of us will take a shuttle bus/night bus.

I mean, ubers are more expensive and there are other ways to get to your hotel.

• Upvote 1