Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

Feb 14th in Berlin and Feb 18th in Paris... bit short notice that. But both in small theatres so I bet it won't be the trickiest try. Last minute Strokes is better than no Strokes.

I'm aware though that them not being announced for this at the same time they were put up for NOS Alive is enough to cause a bit of alarm.

LG is VERY active this summer & appearing at a large number of festivals, my money on him being there  with whoever else.

Unless they go for a couple of rap headliners Post malone (In EU end of June), Tyler the creator in EU in July, Travis Scott (Not sure on his schedule) or Stormzy also in EU in July.

Just going to throw in a couple of names I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned recently:

• King Krule, Caroline Polachek, DIIV – all playing Primavera.
  • Daughter – they have been announced on a couple of festivals in August, but maybe they will expand the tour to earlier dates.
  • Everything Everything – probably not much chance since so far they only have a handful of solo shows announced and no festivals.

5 minutes ago, qwertyfinger said:

Just going to throw in a couple of names I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned recently:

• King Krule, Caroline Polachek, DIIV – all playing Primavera.
  • Daughter – they have been announced on a couple of festivals in August, but maybe they will expand the tour to earlier dates.
  • Everything Everything – probably not much chance since so far they only have a handful of solo shows announced and no festivals.

I spotted Daughter were about - Thought they might be at Primavera, so fingers crossed for Mad Cool.

But that hasn't ruled them out completely... they're still available for July 10th so... maybe Mad Cool just doesn't feel the need to announce them now and wants to wait until April or so (but that's not good because every The Strokes fan is probably going to either PS or NOS Alive)

27 minutes ago, sariris said:

But that hasn't ruled them out completely... they're still available for July 10th so... maybe Mad Cool just doesn't feel the need to announce them now and wants to wait until April or so (but that's not good because every The Strokes fan is probably going to either PS or NOS Alive)

Best Kept Secret booker confirmed that The Strokes were far from a cheap headliner. I can't imagine that you'd secure them in the Autumn of 2019 and then simply wait to announce them until all international travelers have tickets bought for BKS, Werchter, Primavera, ...

It's just a very plausible story that they finally lost out on The Strokes after it seeming a done deal. We have several industry sources confirming Mad Cool bookers have a rather "messy" way of handling things, and this band is known to play hard to get.

Perhaps MC did (unwillingly) break an embargo after the draft poster got leaked. It's been mentioned before that they almost lost out on Arctic Monkeys after putting out a "505" tweet a week before the big European tour announcement.

Edited by Dietediet

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

Best Kept Secret booker confirmed that The Strokes were far from a cheap headliner. I can't imagine that you'd secure them in the Autumn of 2019 and then simply wait to announce them until all international travelers have tickets bought for BKS, Werchter, Primavera, ...

It's just a very plausible story that they finally lost out on The Strokes after it seeming a done deal. We have several industry sources confirming Mad Cool bookers have a rather "messy" way of handling things, and this band is known to play hard to get.

Perhaps MC did (unwillingly) break an embargo after the draft poster got leaked. It's been mentioned before that they almost lost out on Arctic Monkeys after putting out a "505" tweet a week before the big European tour announcement.

yep, it's true...

Hm... a couple of months ago (december or so), every time somebody asked them about the headliners for friday they always replied "proximamente" or "pronto" (soon)

I don't know if they said "soon" because they thought they had The Strokes and My Chemical Romance and the plan was to announce them in January among the other names (which was "soon"), or because they're really announcing the headliners soon (before april). They stopped replying that last month though... now there's just silence. But if it is "soon" for real, the announcement is being late tbh.

They should get new people for negotiations if they really are that messy.

Edited by sariris

Imo they had both MCR and Strokes and they were waiting for the MCR embargo to announce them. That's why they were saying "very soon" .

They lost MCR. Fair enough, not their fault. They leaked that poster with the Strokes and potentially lost them as well. It only leaves two options now.

1. They still have the Strokes but are waiting to get the second headliners to announce both (unlikely, why would they lose clients to Primavera/NOS?).

2. They have to get both headliners (pretty likely given the recent silence) 

1 hour ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Imo they had both MCR and Strokes and they were waiting for the MCR embargo to announce them. That's why they were saying "very soon" .

They lost MCR. Fair enough, not their fault. They leaked that poster with the Strokes and potentially lost them as well. It only leaves two options now.

1. They still have the Strokes but are waiting to get the second headliners to announce both (unlikely, why would they lose clients to Primavera/NOS?).

2. They have to get both headliners (pretty likely given the recent silence) 

Number 2. They lost both their Friday headliners.

Can we put MCR & The strokes to bed then?

I'm hoping the reason for these last headliners, the reason they're not being announced is cause their one (1/2) of those huge bands that are able to control their announcements. Dare i say RATM? Money talks, few mutual acts as Firefly festival and MC. It seems coincidental there playing US shows up until June and then nothing after that.... Almost like they're waiting for EU festival offers. There's just as many rumours of them playing in Europe now as there are saying their waiting until 2021.

Sleep token are playing. If you miss everyone else make sure you see sleep token. 😁 Strokes are old news.

From what I can tell on the mad cool website seems that everyone stays off site and commutes in. Are there buses? Anyone got any good hotel recommendations? I am planning to fly in Thursday evening out on Sunday. Not bothered about Taylor swift.

• Downvote 1

Why all the doom and gloom on here?

I don't get it. I said only two pages ago - we were in this same boat in 2018 and got Arctic Monkeys and Jack white by waiting patiently.  If MCR and the strokes mean that much to you, go and see them, they are playing all over Europe this summer.

I've seen both more than once and seriously, I don't feel like i am missing out. Both seem expensive headliners that unfortunately disappoint live when I've seen them previously (although I do love both bands on record).

Yes there are two headliners not announced and all of a sudden everyone becomes Nostradamus, seemingly knowing exactly whats going on, who was booked, why they aren't playing etc. You DON'T  - simple as that!

Mad cool is a huge festival and the line up is already great (I love the undercard on the Friday - check out Parcels, Highly Suspect and Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes if you don't already know them). Granted I feel one of the headliners might be a "safe" one  (Liam Gallagher or Post Malone)  but i am pretty sure the festival will not disappoint. 

Have a cup of tea or coffee, get through the week at work, have a nice weekend and just chill the F**k out - be patient!   

Edited by jonnytee1
  • Upvote 2