Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

3 minutes ago, Qubatev said:

Is a 4-5 hour flight time that much more effort compared to 2-ish? It’s not like it’s transcontinental. 
Personally I’d say no and bands are touring professionals so even more used to it..

Well, most of them are 1-1.5 hours, and if you're wealthy, then you're probably talking about quick connections to hotels, arriving shortly before departure, and someone else dealing with all the paperwork, so you could have a relaxed morning, and still be at the destination around lunchtime. With a 5 hour flight, you're arriving late afternoon, so likely straight to the festival.

You could do it, but why, if you're big enough to headline festivals, would you bother?

I'd be surprised if there was a chance of MCR going Kyiv-Madrid-Moscow - not just on the back and forth flight for members but also for stage show, gear and crew having to go as well and that being impractical unless you hire a load of private jets. Plus, as said, there's no 3 day in a row runs where its practical. Hell, Milton Keynes' block of 3 has a day off in-between the first and second nights.

Which is not to say there can be some OTT logistical things. I remember years ago that U2 played Glastonbury in-between shows in Baltimore and Michigan on a US stadium tour, with band, crew and instruments flying, with Baltimore on the Wednesday, Glastonbury on the Friday and Michigan on the Sunday. However, I think the performance wasn't as good due to this disorientation, so I don't see why anyone would do that.

There is a less than zero per cent chance of a band doing three nights in Kyiv-Madrid-Moscow.

On top of the five hour flight you've got the journey from hotel to airport, then the flight, then airport to hotel and hotel to festival. That's eight hours absolute minimum, only to do play a show and do the same again the following day.

People need sleep and rest. No 'big' band would do that itinerary and no tour manager would expect a band to do it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Damon said:

Could Lizzo potentially come in as a sub headliner to The Strokes?

Seems she has available dates in July and hasn't played Mad Cool...

I think considering they've already got Taylor Swift AND Billie Eilish, they're not gonna want to book another female American pop singer for a headliner 

1 minute ago, NowTHISIsPodracing said:

I think considering they've already got Taylor Swift AND Billie Eilish, they're not gonna want to book another female American pop singer for a headliner 

I hear you, and although they're all classed as "pop" their music is wildly different from each others, just throwing potential names in there to turn the conversation off MCR! 😂

I know headliners were held back in 2018 (last time i went). One of those was the Arctic Monkeys and the only reason they were held back was because they had not announced ANY dates!

The other was Jack White who had only announced a couple I believe. 

A lot of names mentioned on here don't really make sense because they have been announced for everywhere else ( so why would Mad Cool wait?)

It leaves two scenarios 

1) They are struggling and are now looking for other headliners to fill spaces left by bands pulling out 

OR

2) They have bands  / Artists that simply have not announced tours as of yet and have it all sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Damon said:

I hear you, and although they're all classed as "pop" their music is wildly different from each others, just throwing potential names in there to turn the conversation off MCR! 😂

If the Reading thread is anything to go by, nothing can turn the conversation off spurious MCR rumours.

33 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

2) They have bands  / Artists that simply have not announced tours as of yet and have it all sorted.   

This is my bet. I read somewhere that Mad Cool decides its headliners one year prior or so. I'm sure they already have them, but they can't announce them because the artist/band told them not to.

5 hours ago, q1203 said:

I don't know if it has been said, but Royal Blood is announcing festivals in July and August

Yes, I posted that a few days ago but no one commented. I think they are a strong contender now but as much as I love them, not sure they are a top tier headliner? I also think Black Keys tho no sign of European festival activity, just overseas. I am getting pretty miffed with all this radio silence by Mad Cool tho I have to say!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pughpughbarneymagrew said:

I am getting pretty miffed with all this radio silence by Mad Cool tho I have to say!

Why? They have announced more acts then most festivals and it is not until July. The six headliners they have announced are as good and in most cases better then every other festival! The way I see it is, who ever we get is a bonus if I like them. If I don't like them then I will watch some of the under card.

I bought tickets as soon as they announced Killers/KOL. I was not waiting around for who might get booked, so the last headliners where not part of my decision making as to go or not. I think we have more then enough to make an informed decision to go or not to go. 

At this stage, I don't think the last 2 matter that much. It's like the MCR talk. If they are so important to some one, then go see them at a place they have announced for rather then turning every thread in to a MCR love in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2