Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

4 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Someone who is better than me at Spanish can confirm, but I'm pretty sure the Spanish quote does say 'has never stopped'. It also says British rather than English, though you don't need to know any Spanish to spot that bit.

Also, Jarvis Cocker?

Jarvis plays at tomavistas festival 

2 hours ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Thom Yorke? tour dates probably rule him out but he's gone through three musical phases too: Radiohead, Atoms for Peace and Solo

I was thinking the same thing.

Would be magnificent, but the 'rock star' description doesn't really fit as Yorke really isn't 'rock'. Or rather much more than only rock.

If they're going to end the work week with a big one, then Yorke would be an excellent choice, but I think it'll be Weller. Don't think Gallagher (especially Liam) fits the 'never stopped evolving' statement at all. In fact he's the total opposite.

Edited by lighthouse

10 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

"Superstar Taylor Swift will be performing at her first concert in Spain after a nine year absence, and will do so as the headliner for Mad Cool 2020." 

In Spanish it reads more like she is one headliner rather than THE headliner though. 

She is one headliner because there are four headliners in total over four nights in 2020.

For those who've been before, I wouldn't watch TS if she played in my kitchen.  If she's on the main stage, are there other bands on a different stage at the same time.  NOS had a fair gap between it's two main stages so it was headliner or little else for a while.

25 minutes ago, Red Day said:

For those who've been before, I wouldn't watch TS if she played in my kitchen.  If she's on the main stage, are there other bands on a different stage at the same time.  NOS had a fair gap between it's two main stages so it was headliner or little else for a while.

The two main stages alternate which I love when festivals do right and Mad Cool managed it, so I would guess someone will be on main stage 2 until 5/10 minutes before TS starts and then someone else will start 5/10 minutes after she finishes.

There's plenty more options at MC and you should have the choice of 2-3 others at the same time as her, especially now they've put it back up to seven stages. There's the clashfinder from when I went in 2018 when it was 7 stages to give you an idea...

https://clashfinder.com/s/mcf18/?user=

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

I dont think there is such thing as "no alternative" at mad cool. It is literally the only thing on which it always deliver

Has anyone else who has been to Mad cool found it extremely easy to get near the front too?

I did not have a VIP ticket but when Wolf Alice opened on the Saturday in 2018 they let us in the VIP area and we strolled to the front of the stage. Later that evening when NIN were on we weren't allowed in the VIP section but got right to the front of the standard area with ease. 

4 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

I generally think there is enough at mad cool to keep people happy. In fairness the red wine and coca cola drink kept me happy for hours! 

Its a good festival with some neat little touches. 

Few more decent rock bands and we might take the chance on it. Waiting to see what Rock Werchter offers before final decision. Either location is easy enough to get to from here.  The rumour of Pearl Jam for RW might be the decision breaker

11 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Has anyone else who has been to Mad cool found it extremely easy to get near the front too?

I did not have a VIP ticket but when Wolf Alice opened on the Saturday in 2018 they let us in the VIP area and we strolled to the front of the stage. Later that evening when NIN were on we weren't allowed in the VIP section but got right to the front of the standard area with ease. 

Generally, yeah. They scrapped the VIP areas for 2019 and it wasn't a sell-out so it was generally really easy to get near the front. Arrived 5 mins before for acts as big as Bon Iver and the National and got to about 5 rows back with space. The Spaniards don't tend to arrive early. The only exception was the Cure, couldn't get near to the front of that one.

54 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Generally, yeah. They scrapped the VIP areas for 2019 and it wasn't a sell-out so it was generally really easy to get near the front. Arrived 5 mins before for acts as big as Bon Iver and the National and got to about 5 rows back with space. The Spaniards don't tend to arrive early. The only exception was the Cure, couldn't get near to the front of that one.

I reckon that in 2018 it was harder for the larger acts to get to the front rows. Although I easily reached first row for Jack White (watched At the Drive In before him and waited there during Jack Johnson's set), I found impossible to reach the barrier for Pearl Jam (even leaving during the first half of Tame Impala's show) and for QOTSA and NIN (scored the barrier but moshpit was too heavy, so I got bounced back). 

The visuals and the sound of the major stages are perfect from almost any point of the pit, so - unless you are in for a very interactive show (think of Foals or Frank Carter, i.e.), or you are into the "a show is only worth if I can lick the sweat from the frontman armpit"'s philosophy - you don't really need to get in the front row to enjoy the show at 100%