Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

2 minutes ago, clasher said:

I think @yosoyyoberdi is trying to establish a fairly important distinction between one's subjective liking of the lineup and a significantly less subjective strength of the lineup, measured by popularity (and price, etc) of the acts.

Just because don't like one lineup doesn't necessarily make it weak. 

One mans nutella is anothers marmite.

Its a great lineup for the person that enjoys these acts. It's definitely not a cheap lineup. 

Not my line up but hey there's loads of other fests.

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not hard to see when it's just an opinion! I can't help but compare this poster to previous posters and on a comparative viewpoint there are proportionally far fewer bands I'd be interested in.

Of course this could change with subsequent announcements, hence 'so far'. 

Of course, you might not be interested in most of the acts already announced. I am in the same boat as you. But how can it be weak with the likes of Taylor, Billie, TOP, Foals, Pixies and half of the headliners remaining to be announced? 

Edit: @clasher has explained it better than myself. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

5 minutes ago, clasher said:

I think @yosoyyoberdi is trying to establish a fairly important distinction between one's subjective liking of the lineup and a significantly less subjective strength of the lineup, measured by popularity (and price, etc) of the acts.

Just because don't like one lineup doesn't necessarily make it weak. 

Guess we're getting into semantics here. I only meant 'weak' in terms of my personal tastes. I suppose ultimately I see it fundamentally as a rock-based festival and those acts are weaker than in previous years. Now seems to be more of a pop festival so needs to be judged more against those parameters. Agree if that's what you meant with the conclusions of @Rico_Pliskin

I wish I could travel back in time and go to MC 2018, although I enjoyed dancing to Childish Gambino and David Byrne loads at BBK. 

I bought an early bird MC 2019 on the premise it would be as good at 2018.

I wouldn't do the same for 2020 edition had there been the option. I'm glad there wasn't the option because this year with the announcements we've had i'd be pretty sad at this point in time. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Guess we're getting into semantics here. I only meant 'weak' in terms of my personal tastes. I suppose ultimately I see it fundamentally as a rock-based festival and those acts are weaker than in previous years. Now seems to be more of a pop festival so needs to be judged more against those parameters. Agree if that's what you meant with the conclusions of @Rico_Pliskin

Yes, it's what I meant and yes, it's semantics, but as I said I think it's still fairly important, if nothing else to avoid confusion. I do certainly agree with points made above. 

About the rock vs pop thing, pretty much every festival is seemingly moving in the pop direction at the moment but I'm still not convinced that it's what they decided to do as opposed to the availability of acts in general. This "pop direction" thing is mainly due to Billie and Taylor announcing gigs all over - could be that there's simply less big rock names doing festivals next summer, or rather what I'm counting on - they just haven't announced their tours yet and can't be subsequently announced just yet. 

Edit, p.s.: name three headliner-worthy rock bands touring next year that haven't done the festival in past three years, preferably with some new material

Edited by clasher

1 hour ago, Luke Routledge said:

Rex Orange County?

Yeah that's a good shout, seems to line up with his tour dates, he's in the US all winter and then come's to Europe until the end of March with no date in Spain and no festival shows, assume he'll continue his European tour through summer leaving plenty of time for festivals.

Who are we thinking for headliners then? Obviously Taylor for one of the days and can picture Billie co-headlining another potentially with Foals? Theres also rumours on the Rock Werchter forum of RHCP coming over to Europe and headlining there (Mad Cool often shares headliners)

Taylor Swift - Billie Eilish/Foals - The Strokes - RHCP ??