Camping within the festival

SiJo86

26 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

South Park or South Park 2 

Yeah that's the one. Very handy, right next door to West Campers entrance so you can get the bus down and your mate's parents can bring all your booze and airbeds and camping chairs in their caravan ? Probably most toilets per head than anywhere else on site as well, which anybody who's woken up in the morning and had to queue half an hour to expel what your bowel has been working away on while you were snoozing will appreciate.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Me and a mate (2-man tent each) got through the gate at 5.30 pm Thursday and there was plenty of space in Darble and Pylon. As we were on the bus in and out we just camped there, near the Lock Up and Ped Gate A. You could still have pitched a tent there on Saturday if needed so yeah, there’s always room as long as you’re not bothered about how close to the ‘action’ you are

14 hours ago, moams said:

First time attending, where are the best places to camp? 

As previously stated, read glastoearth faq's but also study the map. Some areas fill up very quickly, especially around the Pyramid, Other Stage and Pennard's. Take into consideration your estimated arrival day/time, arrival point (site is vast, rough and hilly - 25mins+ walk across), the main places you want to hang out..... and the weather. Water runs downhill and flatter areas can get v wet & v v muddy. That last sentence may seem negative but I've experienced more cool/mild, wet Glasto's than baking hot & dry.

Memories are short. The last 2 years were baking hot but they were towing vehicles through the mud onto the car parks in 2016. 

19 hours ago, SiJo86 said:

Hi all, planning on camping within the main part of the festival next year, this will be the first time though we have considered taking a 6 man tent to put up instead of 3 or 4 smaller ones. Do plenty of other people still do this? Or is a tent of that size deemed as a bit too big?

If members of our group are able to get there on the Tuesday night to get in early on Wednesday then I think this is what we will be doing.

Alternatively, if we were to arrive on Thursday, where would I likely to be able to still find space to camp? Worried that the majority of the site will be full by 3pm on Thursday.

You Got to love newbies.. Some of the questions are straight from mastermind.. 

9 hours ago, Lycra said:

As previously stated, read glastoearth faq's but also study the map. Some areas fill up very quickly, especially around the Pyramid, Other Stage and Pennard's. Take into consideration your estimated arrival day/time, arrival point (site is vast, rough and hilly - 25mins+ walk across), the main places you want to hang out..... and the weather. Water runs downhill and flatter areas can get v wet & v v muddy. That last sentence may seem negative but I've experienced more cool/mild, wet Glasto's than baking hot & dry.

Memories are short. The last 2 years were baking hot but they were towing vehicles through the mud onto the car parks in 2016. 

We’re getting the national express coach getting there around 11.30am on the Wednesday. Not too sure on where we will be the most but assume that will be decided when the line-up gets announced. It was more on what are the different areas of camping like or are they all pretty similar, want to be among the atmosphere but at the same time I do like some sleep. I’d rather have a better camping field and have to walk a bit further to the stages. 

I’m probably doing things in reverse as this will be my 5th, but I’ve never camped before as a few in our original group always insisted we didn’t.

Our groups have now split and the off-siters didn’t get tickets, so we’re going to camp for the first time.

I won’t be getting there Tuesday night and queuing, the plan would be to aim for around lunch time to early afternoon Wednesday.

We’d naturally prefer to be the same side as the SE corner or the Park, are there likely to be any campsites with a reasonable amount of space in that general area at that time?

I know the site well, but I’ve no idea what any of the campsites are called other than oxylers which I assume will he full-ish by then... and I know it’s pretty hardcore as well?

We have camped in Pylon and Rivermead the last 10 years, there has also been loads of space if you just walk a few metres off the main paths. Last year we were on the boundary between Rivermesd and Pylon near the fence to the West and there was loads of space when we arrived Thursday afternoon and throughout the entire weekend. Cracking place to pitch. You just have to look beyond the main paths, do a reccy when you get to a camping field and work if theres space in the corners. It's something I think the Camping Crews should be better at to be honest, they don't seem to check the areas behind the main paths, and theres usually  bucket loads of space behind if you spend 10 minutes having a wander behind the main paths

15 hours ago, moams said:

We’re getting the national express coach getting there around 11.30am on the Wednesday. Not too sure on where we will be the most but assume that will be decided when the line-up gets announced. It was more on what are the different areas of camping like or are they all pretty similar, want to be among the atmosphere but at the same time I do like some sleep. I’d rather have a better camping field and have to walk a bit further to the stages. 

It helps a look at the site map before you go and decide where you wish to camp:-

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/maps

Areas around the Pyramid - Kidney Mead, Big Ground, Row Mead, Hawkwell & Michael's Mead, fill up very quickly, are quite noisy and cramped. Space is at a premium. It has been known for peeps to wake up cuddling the person in the neighbouring tent through the fabric! These areas are also on an incline, though there are flatter spots at the top.

It's a similar story for Oxlyers, the Park & Pennard's which are the sites nearest the Other Stage. Oxlyers, Park and the bottom of Pennard's are quite flat and can get very muddy in wet years. Glasto mud is infamous. Ankle deep is quite common; when it's really bad it's knee deep.

For those wanting quieter camping there is plenty of space to be had in the north west and western fields. Don't be put off by not being in the thick of it near the Pyramid as the vibe extends across the whole site. The extra walking to the fields on the extreme west fringes may deter some but they are not massive walks.

Arriving by coach at 11:30am Wednesday you will still find space available near the Pyramid or Other Stages if you want to go there. However many arriving via the western entry points choose to camp in the west to avoid the need to haul camping gear across the site (terrain is rough and often hilly, especially walk from bus/coach station to pyramid camping areas. The coach/bus station is a western entry point but actual entry is quite swift for coach goers who go through a gate separated from vast hordes arriving by car. 

I never bother bringing a tent because my mate gets people who work (so get there early) to take his massive 1980's family camping tent to plonk on Pennards Hill, and myself and whoever else gets in just crashes there.

I would say the bigger tent you can bring the better, its far preferable having too much space than not enough. If you are on the pull as well, its nice to have a spare pod or area in case you get lucky later on in Block 9.

7 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I never bother bringing a tent because my mate gets people who work (so get there early) to take his massive 1980's family camping tent to plonk on Pennards Hill, and myself and whoever else gets in just crashes there.

I would say the bigger tent you can bring the better, its far preferable having too much space than not enough. If you are on the pull as well, its nice to have a spare pod or area in case you get lucky later on in Block 9.

You're not even trying now.

• Upvote 4

On 10/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, Lycra said:

It helps a look at the site map before you go and decide where you wish to camp:-

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/maps

Areas around the Pyramid - Kidney Mead, Big Ground, Row Mead, Hawkwell & Michael's Mead, fill up very quickly, are quite noisy and cramped. Space is at a premium. It has been known for peeps to wake up cuddling the person in the neighbouring tent through the fabric! These areas are also on an incline, though there are flatter spots at the top.

It's a similar story for Oxlyers, the Park & Pennard's which are the sites nearest the Other Stage. Oxlyers, Park and the bottom of Pennard's are quite flat and can get very muddy in wet years. Glasto mud is infamous. Ankle deep is quite common; when it's really bad it's knee deep.

For those wanting quieter camping there is plenty of space to be had in the north west and western fields. Don't be put off by not being in the thick of it near the Pyramid as the vibe extends across the whole site. The extra walking to the fields on the extreme west fringes may deter some but they are not massive walks.

Arriving by coach at 11:30am Wednesday you will still find space available near the Pyramid or Other Stages if you want to go there. However many arriving via the western entry points choose to camp in the west to avoid the need to haul camping gear across the site (terrain is rough and often hilly, especially walk from bus/coach station to pyramid camping areas. The coach/bus station is a western entry point but actual entry is quite swift for coach goers who go through a gate separated from vast hordes arriving by car. 

Thinking potentially heading down towards Lower Mead. Doesn’t seem too far to walk to from the coach gate and also fairly close to the stages. Has anyone camped there before?

6 minutes ago, moams said:

Thinking potentially heading down towards Lower Mead. Doesn’t seem too far to walk to from the coach gate and also fairly close to the stages. Has anyone camped there before?

yep thats where we have been the last 2 years ... in the lower parts it can get a bit boggy in a wet year ... so camp at top of small slope nearer to the John Peel tent and it will be good .... fingers crossed ill see you there :) ... and the walk is about 15mins ish fully laden my best Guess 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep thats where we have been the last 2 years ... in the lower parts it can get a bit boggy in a wet year ... so camp at top of small slope nearer to the John Peel tent and it will be good .... fingers crossed ill see you there :) ... and the walk is about 15mins ish fully laden my best Guess 

That’s good then, hopefully they’ll be space there when we arrive but I’m happy to camp anywhere after finally managing to get tickets. I’m sure you will, if I’m not at the tent I’ll be exploring the site and making the most of my Glastonbury experience ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, moams said:

That’s good then, hopefully they’ll be space there when we arrive but I’m happy to camp anywhere after finally managing to get tickets. I’m sure you will, if I’m not at the tent I’ll be exploring the site and making the most of my Glastonbury experience ?

there's usually not too many problems getting at least 2 tents in up until midday wed ... You should be ok ... location doesnt matter too much ... its a lot of walking wherever you are ... have a good festival 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, I'm getting the impression then that with a bit of walking around we should still be able to find space then for a 6 man tent even on the Thursday morning/afternoon.

I have to say I'm surprised, I was under the impression that by Thursday lunchtime we would be walking through fields full of tents and struggling to find anywhere to pitch up.

I've been four times previously. Camped at WV for one, did ZooLoos for another year and then the other two times just camped within the festival but had friends both times pitch tents and then I arrived on the Thursday evening so didn't have to worry about where to camp as it was already taken care of. So despite this being my fifth year, it will be the first time I have every turned up and had to sort out where to camp within the main festival, so not really sure where to even start in terms of searching for a spot. Guess I just need to research each of the fields based on how lively or quiet they can be and how close they are to certain areas and then just hope that there is space available in the field that I think would be most suitable?