Camping within the festival

SiJo86

Hi all, planning on camping within the main part of the festival next year, this will be the first time though we have considered taking a 6 man tent to put up instead of 3 or 4 smaller ones. Do plenty of other people still do this? Or is a tent of that size deemed as a bit too big?

If members of our group are able to get there on the Tuesday night to get in early on Wednesday then I think this is what we will be doing.

Alternatively, if we were to arrive on Thursday, where would I likely to be able to still find space to camp? Worried that the majority of the site will be full by 3pm on Thursday.

If you get there on Tuesday you'll easily be able to fit that tent in and it's totally fine – if anything it takes up less space than several smaller ones.

If you get there on Thursday it will be much harder to find a spot somewhere 'popular', but you'll still be able to find somewhere in the less busy spots. I can't really say where that might be though!

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Darble, Bushy Ground and Pylon Ground generally have space right up to Friday...a bit further to walk to Pyramid and SE corner but close to West carparks and mainly flat ground. 

The 6/7am walk from SE Corner back to Pylon camp (most nights) was absolutely brutal. lost on the Friday considered just sleeping by the side of the path one night, felt like id been walking for days!

1 hour ago, SiJo86 said:

Hi all, planning on camping within the main part of the festival next year, this will be the first time though we have considered taking a 6 man tent to put up instead of 3 or 4 smaller ones. Do plenty of other people still do this? Or is a tent of that size deemed as a bit too big?

If members of our group are able to get there on the Tuesday night to get in early on Wednesday then I think this is what we will be doing.

Alternatively, if we were to arrive on Thursday, where would I likely to be able to still find space to camp? Worried that the majority of the site will be full by 3pm on Thursday.

I take a 4 man dome tent to myself, get waaaaay to claustrophobic in anything smaller

Sounds good thanks guys. On the basis then that half of our group of six were to arrive early on Wednesday and would have a pretty decent amount of options to choose from, where would you guys recommend camping, taking into consideration the size of the tent, and say we don't want to be too far away from the likes of the SE corner and the Pyramid, but also don't really want to be somewhere where there is likely to be constant people walking by...?

Any tips or ideas? 

1 hour ago, SiJo86 said:

Sounds good thanks guys. On the basis then that half of our group of six were to arrive early on Wednesday and would have a pretty decent amount of options to choose from, where would you guys recommend camping, taking into consideration the size of the tent, and say we don't want to be too far away from the likes of the SE corner and the Pyramid, but also don't really want to be somewhere where there is likely to be constant people walking by...?

Any tips or ideas? 

Not sure where to recommend (still trying to decide myself where we will go) but I think 6 people in a 6 man tent is going to be a bit cramped. My general rule of thumb is to get double, so either 2 x 6 man tents, or an 8 and a 4.

22 minutes ago, moams said:

First time attending, where are the best places to camp? 

No simple answer as it depends on your preferences! This is a very good guide though, so have a look at the map on the official site and then have a read of this:

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3

• Like 1

I forgot what our usual field is called but it's the one behind the Cineremageddon screen and I've never seen it full up. If you're willing to go to the edges at Glastonbury (tbh, the festival is so spread out that you're always far away from most of it wherever you camp anyway) then you'll find enough space to pitch quite large tents all weekend.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I forgot what our usual field is called but it's the one behind the Cineremageddon screen and I've never seen it full up. If you're willing to go to the edges at Glastonbury (tbh, the festival is so spread out that you're always far away from most of it wherever you camp anyway) then you'll find enough space to pitch quite large tents all weekend.

South Park or South Park 2 

13 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Not sure what the one opposite other stage is but I'll be aiming for that. Should arrive on site around midday Wednesday. One big tent takes up much less space than lots of small ones

Probably Oxlyers or Park Home Ground