Entering with Caravans but camping in Pennard Hill

Daniel_White

Hi,

One of our group is planning on taking their campervan. I was wondering if I could go in with him on the Tuesday evening, but then take all my stuff through to normal camping (Pennard Hill) on the Wednesday morning, is that allowed?

Basically trying to get in there as early as possible without having to do the night in the queue.

Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers!

Just now, Daniel_White said:

One of our group is planning on taking their campervan. I was wondering if I could go in with him on the Tuesday evening, but then take all my stuff through to normal camping (Pennard Hill) on the Wednesday morning, is that allowed?

Yes.

If he's in the West CV fields, your plan will work a treat. If he's in the East, you may find that they let people move in from the car parks earlier than you'd want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes.

If he's in the West CV fields, your plan will work a treat. If he's in the East, you may find that they let people move in from the car parks earlier than you'd want.

East Campervan field opens at 12PM on tuesday lunchtime, so East or West won't really matter

Just now, paulshane said:

East Campervan field opens at 12PM on tuesday lunchtime, so East or West won't really matter

It'll make quite a bit of difference in this context - Car Parks open a few hours later, so at some point those people will be let into/through the CV fields to queue at PGC. So someone wanting to be through the gate early doors will need to get up earlier to beat or join them.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It'll make quite a bit of difference in this context - Car Parks open a few hours later, so at some point those people will be let into/through the CV fields to queue at PGC. So someone wanting to be through the gate early doors will need to get up earlier to beat or join them.

ah, I see.

yeah, I parked in East last year at about 2PM on the Tuesday and there were people queuing already at the gate.

West will work well for this as the queue at the gate at opening is minimal as no car parks feed through that field to get into the main site. We stayed in West a few years ago and then various members of our party went in and camped in the main site.

East is trickier as the queue up the hill will start in the night.

We camped tin East here in our van as a "base camp" for a fair few years, 2010-17, with one of those years in West, can't recall which one. The first time we stayed there we were lucky enough to be in E21 at the top of the hill of death. We sat up drinking and chatting with neighbours, had all our camping gear strapped onto trolleys, including a proper barrel of beer, ready to go into PGC early doors. I got up for the loo at about 430am, about an hour after going to bed, and the queue was already past us. I went back to the van and tried to rouse the crew. We made it out but had to walk back through the vans to the back of the queue, then queue for hours until PGC opened. We were quite slow all day Wednesday.....

But, for your mates in the van, East is better if you are near the gate. West is too far walking through endless fields of tents. I guess nowadays you have the cinema at that end and the Co-Op, but it still a bit rubbish, and the noise from Arcadia is worse than the noise from SE Corner. But all that info belongs in another thread somewhere :)

• Like 1

Just confirming what others have already said @Daniel_White

It is a longer walk from CV West, but if your friend is happy pitching there the main difference between East and West Cvan fields is there isn't a carpark and so thousands of people queuing to get in from the Cvan west gate. I pitch our van there with a few other C'vers and we bring in around 10 'on-foot' friends,

When the gates open on the Wednesday you'll have to que along with.... oh... about 30 or 40 people! It's a fun atmosphere and this year the've opened a lovely Coffee/Danish/Sandwich place juts by the gate :)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, dotdash79 said:

This may help @Brad2434 I'm not much up on actual lettered namned carpark fields

If you mean accompany him with your own car, definitely not. You will have to be a passenger in his car.

I would recommend you park here, it's unofficial parking but my friends and I have been using it for years. The entrance to this carpark is about 20 yards away from the lane to the West C'van Park

https://ashcombepark.com/

If you look at this years official map, Ashcombe Park carpark is just below the '1' where it says Pink Gate 1 and that lane leading south of the main raod to the right of there is the lane that takes you to the West C'van Field

Webmap-2019-v4-2.jpg

48 minutes ago, Brad2434 said:

Which CV ticket do you need to buy to get E21? Standard east or quiet east?

Luck of the draw that first time, literally got there at about 1130am on the Tuesday. I think it was first year of Tuesday opening, they just waved us in there. I think nowadays its quiet/staff/disabled, but it was just another field the first time and we were early. We have been in there since, not every time, usually by getting there early.  We have also been parked so far away I thought we were closer to Bath Spa railway station, but that was the year we were all towed in by tractors!!

5 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Luck of the draw that first time, literally got there at about 1130am on the Tuesday. I think it was first year of Tuesday opening, they just waved us in there. I think nowadays its quiet/staff/disabled, but it was just another field the first time and we were early. We have been in there since, not every time, usually by getting there early.  We have also been parked so far away I thought we were closer to Bath Spa railway station, but that was the year we were all towed in by tractors!!

yup, seems to be totally random how they organise, last year I went on the Tuesday to beat the traffic and was directed to here:

image.png.db1ae12f2e9108960da084b12cd52a22.png

literally the furthest camper spot from the site, right in the corner :D nice and quiet though.

image.thumb.png.c466198ca752871ca36c704c84d68493.png

Edited by paulshane

59 minutes ago, Daniel_White said:

Any idea what time they start letting people into main site from CV West, same time as gates open?

Hi Dan, same time as the main gates.  This year (2019), there was a small line (100 people at a guess?) which took about 30m from when you joined to get to the ticket people.

If you decided to join the line around 0600 - 0630, you would have had about 5 people for company.

It is a long hike though once you are through.  Not so much of a time issue, as more of a weight issue.  Pack well!

The campsites just near the entrance to the site at west were fairly sparse on the Wednesday and Thursday and even over the weekend the tents didn't look to be on top of each other, if I ever camped i'd go there but im an old duffer so posh it in a campervan. 

depends if you want to be in among it 24/7 or not