2009 v 2019 - why are tickets so hard to get now?

Jet_Moderno

One thing that hasn't been mentioned...

The traditional 'gatekeepers' of what is or isn't musically authentic have all died off or lost all of their influence. NME, Q Magazine, Kerrang, radio DJs etc. They could denote what was or wasn't authentic for their own niche audience - meaning it would have been unthinkable for someone like Miley Cyrus to play the Pyramid Stage 15 years ago whereas this year she was held up as one of the best acts on the Pyramid. 

As a consequence of the death of the gatekeepers - and more music being considered 'authentic and therefore 'cool'/OK to listen to -  people define themselves less through musical silos ("I'm in to rock" / "I only like EDM" / "Pop music is for girls") , and listen to a wider range of music including more commercially successful music. This is compounded by the streaming services making it easier for people to consume music.

So I don't think it's just that Glastonbury has gone more mainstream. Music itself has gone more mainstream.

(obviously this is just one factor in the millions of others mentioned)

Edited by ProperTea
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

So I don't think it's just that Glastonbury has gone more mainstream. Music itself has gone more mainstream.

This is undoubtedly true. The recently released Radio 2 list of the best-selling albums of the 21st Century has the top 10 all solo artists (Adele, Sheeran, Blunt, Dido etc), and only 15 in the 40 were from bands, and they were mainly all very mainstream (Take That, Keane, Snow Patrol etc). The notion of what ‘festival people’ are is redundant. It’s anybody.

Edited by henry bear

On 10/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, incident said:

2004 was a shade over 24 hours, partly because demand was so high - that was the year where web servers and phones both crashed repeatedly. To the extent that it took down the entire Nottingham City Centre* telephone exchange at one point, leading BT to insist that the sale was moved to 9am Sunday the following year (from I think 8pm midweek) creating a legacy that remains today.

*ie seetickets offices, back then they had a proper call centre and a lot of the tickets were sold by phone.

2004- only year I haven’t managed to get tickets since 1995! Nightmare!  Tried all night on phone and dial up internet to no avail! 

48 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

The traditional 'gatekeepers' of what is or isn't musically authentic have all died off or lost all of their influence. NME, Q Magazine, Kerrang, radio DJs etc. They could denote what was or wasn't authentic for their own niche audience - meaning it would have been unthinkable for someone like Miley Cyrus to play the Pyramid Stage 15 years ago whereas this year she was held up as one of the best acts on the Pyramid. 

As a consequence of the death of the gatekeepers - and more music being considered 'authentic and therefore 'cool'/OK to listen to -  people define themselves less through musical silos ("I'm in to rock" / "I only like EDM" / "Pop music is for girls") , and listen to a wider range of music including more commercially successful music. This is compounded by the streaming services making it easier for people to consume music.

What an excellent post

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

A great and well considered response. Couldn’t agree more.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, ProperTea said:

Agree with this

Without sounding like a music snob but music has become much more generic now days.  If you think  from the 90's to the early 2000s you had; oasis, the killers, blur, nivrana, depeche mode, REM, U2, The cure, Pulp to name a few. Obvs some of these guys are still around and touring but none of the are really at the forefront of music anymore. They are seen as "legends" acts not acts in their own right, if that makes sense. 

Foals and arctic monkeys come to mind but struggle for others. 

I think this is partly due to the death of the album. NO one really listens to an album anymore, they listen to singles which means that certain artists can have a few bangers but no real back catalog 

4 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Agree with this

Without sounding like a music snob but music has become much more generic now days.  If you think  from the 90's to the early 2000s you had; oasis, the killers, blur, nivrana, depeche mode, REM, U2, The cure, Pulp to name a few. Obvs some of these guys are still around and touring but none of the are really at the forefront of music anymore. They are seen as "legends" acts not acts in their own right, if that makes sense. 

Foals and arctic monkeys come to mind but struggle for others. 

I think this is partly due to the death of the album. NO one really listens to an album anymore, they listen to singles which means that certain artists can have a few bangers but no real back catalog 

Agree with a lot of what you say but disagree with this bit.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, sedra said:

2004- only year I haven’t managed to get tickets since 1995! Nightmare!  Tried all night on phone and dial up internet to no avail! 

You needed the 'Freya' link. Should've been on here. 

On 10/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, ProperTea said:

This is a great point. I think music streaming has a hand in that as well, I don't have to save up for CDs or out and thus stick to what I know sort of thing. If someone on here or in real life says an album is good I'll generally give it a listen, couldn't really have done that 15 years ago.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

This is a great point. I think music streaming has a hand in that as well, I don't have to save up for CDs or out and thus stick to what I know sort of thing. If someone on here or in real life says an album is good I'll generally give it a listen, couldn't really have done that 15 years ago.

Massively true.  It's much less of a gamble on new music, and while I've always had pretty eclectic tastes my listening is stupidly broad now.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:06 AM, aj6658 said:

Without sounding like a music snob but music has become much more generic now days.  

*Rock* music (indie / guitar) music has become much more generic these days.  There's been a massive growth and change in other genres. 

I think a big change is that a kid nowadays wanting to make music doesn't automatically find three mates who can play bass, guitar and drums - they might sit in their bedroom making beats, or write bars and compare tham at school with their mates, or learn to DJ.  The result, we get fewer new REMs or Pulps or Oasis, and more new Wileys and Shy FXs and Aviciis.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, Wooderson said:

Likelihood is limited. My hope is that "my season ticket" ? went to a person in need of a real lift in their life.

I will imagine them next June in a field in Somerset with the sun and a smile on their face, a coldie in their hand and glint of happiness in their eye.

What a beautiful human!

It's refreshing to read posts like this instead of poor me / it's so unfair / there must be a better way / system is shit

• Like 1

In general as well ,people dont view age as something that stops you doing what you want. Not so much from 2004 but it means the pool of people wanting to go is getting bigger every year. Of course some people will drop off but not as many as decide they want to go.

Stumbled across this video. I think this should sum up exactly why tickets are so hard to get now.

Really closely watch it. Media like this appeals to the widest of demographics and an awful lot of people will purchase a ticket in hopes of being in a situation ‘like this’.

Nothing wrong with it mind. The festival is for everyone. But this is what happens when BBC darlings play the festival and get responses like this. People come in their droves. This is what a lot of festival goers want/expect with Glastonbury nowadays.

Edited by Matt42

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Stumbled across this video. I think this should sum up exactly why tickets are so hard to get now.

Really closely watch it. Media like this appeals to the widest of demographics and an awful lot of people will purchase a ticket in hopes of being in a situation ‘like this’.

Nothing wrong with it mind. The festival is for everyone. But this is what happens when BBC darlings play the festival and get responses like this. People come in their droves. This is what a lot of festival goers want/expect with Glastonbury nowadays.

I agree ... that video sums it up .... Just imagine how popular it would be without George Ezra though :)