2009 v 2019 - why are tickets so hard to get now?

Jet_Moderno

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

There are a lot of things but the main one has to be social media.

I had a friend post a picture this year on the Wednesday of her say by the Glastonbury sign so I messaged Thursday evening and said "Were are you camped? Shall we meet up for an act over the weekend?"

Her reply - seriously - was along the lines of "We only came for the Wednesday/Thursday but we've gone home now as we had plans for the weekend.... still done Glasto though!!"

Now as much as they're my friend I can't help but feel they came just for the Instagram opportunity. If we have people trying for tickets who claim they've "done Glasto" and going home on the Thursday then what hope have we got of it ever being anywhere near 2009 levels?

Say WHUT?!!!! We just have to accept some people will do this, otherwise we get into that “deserving a ticket” conversation. ?

1 minute ago, phillyfaddle said:

Say WHUT?!!!! We just have to accept some people will do this, otherwise we get into that “deserving a ticket” conversation. ?

I think the only saving grace to this is that they only wasted a hospitality ticket rather than a GA one.

Is it possible they could have used it for Wed/Thurs and then someone else used it for Fri - Sun? Not sure if hospitality ones work in the same way.

Either way, I'm with all of you. Mental.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think the only saving grace to this is that they only wasted a hospitality ticket rather than a GA one.

Is it possible they could have used it for Wed/Thurs and then someone else used it for Fri - Sun? Not sure if hospitality ones work in the same way.

Either way, I'm with all of you. Mental.

Probably, as there’s no photo on hosp tickets, although am sure some other form of ID is required. But ways around that....

Madness though ?

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

A mate's girlfriend's sister worked at See in 04 and 05 and sorted us out with tickets before they went on sale. I think back then it was pretty common amongst those working there.

A friend of mine went to uni in Nottingham and knew someone who worked at See Tickets...she used to get four tickets every year without fail until the contact left See.

Also it’s not just glasto festivals in general are more popular now than ever. At least in Ireland anyway most of the bigger festivals are expanding year on year and some of the new ones that have popped up are doing well. You could nearly go to some sort of festival every weekend from May until September now.

My 2 pence worth. Festival’s have gone from being fairly niche to ridiculously mainstream. Generally 10-15 years ago Festival’s were predominately the domain of rock/indie bands. Festival’s like Creamfields have been around for a while, but the dance festival scene was only a tiny fraction of what it is now. Therefore festival’s were generally seen as being for ‘metalers’ and not at all popular (if anything they were quite ‘unfashionable’) with the mainstream.

Over time the dance festival scene has grown massively alongside the festival scene as a whole. We’ve also seen the traditional festival’s expand and merge more into dance music, thus bringing festival’s fully into the mainstream.

Festivals are now completely the norm for everybody, whereas 10-15 years ago they definitely were not. Glastonbury is also pretty much the pinnacle of all major genres, so it’s the ultimate destination for pretty much everyone now.

My other thought is linked to the TV coverage. I had this thought while trying to navigate the ridiculous crowd for Kyle, it wasn’t enjoyable, it’s surely not enjoyable for the people stood about a mile away crammed up against a food truck watching her, I don’t really see the point of it or how anybody is really enjoying watching her from that far away? 

But the flip side of that is when the BBC cameras pan over that vast and ridiculous crowd it looks absolutely amazing, it actually looks a lot better to the TV viewer than it is in reality. I don’t mean that about Glastonbury in general, it’s amazing and nothing can beat it, but the the tv viewer seeing that massive crowd, their though it is along the lines of “oh my god, I wish I was in that crowd, that looks so amazing”

I haven’t really explained that last point very well, basically the TV coverage makes it look even better than it actually is, which means the amount of people who want to go grows every year accordingly. 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Glasto killed the competition 

It has, which is a shame in a way. Glastonbury is in the enviable position that it’s so good acts will play for a fraction of the fee that other festivals have to pay. That means they can put on a much better festival because they don’t have to spend the same amount on acts so it’s a kind of snowball effect.

No act gives a fuck about playing Isle of Wight or Reading. They just want the maximum fee, so the festival couldn’t ever possibly be anywhere near as good.

Its a shame in a way there aren’t one or two other UK festival’s that have a similar status and standing, but there really is only one Glastonbury.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

21 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It has, which is a shame in a way. Glastonbury is in the enviable position that it’s so good acts will play for a fraction of the fee that other festivals have to pay. That means they can put on a much better festival because they don’t have to spend the same amount on acts so it’s a kind of snowball effect.

No act gives a fuck about playing Isle of Wight or Reading. They just want the maximum fee, so the festival couldn’t ever possibly be anywhere near as good.

Its a shame in a way there aren’t one or two other UK festival’s that have a similar status and standing, but there really is only one Glastonbury.

It's the same all over, google and facebook have killed the competition, the power goes to the biggest.

The BBC coverage allows for massive exposure, so the bands will pay for less for the boost they get in other areas (live tickets, sales, etc). However the other festivals haven't helped by racing to pay the biggest fees they can.

one other genuine glastonbury alternative no one seems to have mentioned from about 2007 through to about 2013 was Bestival

it was one of the only festivals that actually had the wide musical scope across many genres and had popularity among both a younger and more mature audience. 

not only did it get less good it completely collapsed and now doesn't exist. one year NME voted it best major festival over glastonbury. i know their opinion means nothing but for about 2 years it was genuinely just as good if not better.

reading/leeds, V and T in the park were competitors that now don't exist or are widely considered crap or aimed solely at under 25s

There is no competiton whatsoever now, it seems the entire UK festival market is exceptionally segmented and each festival does only one thing well. they can do that one thing well but offer little to no variety.

Edited by Memory Man

I would've hoped we could all agree that the idea Jay-Z was at all responsible for poor sales in 2008 is, and always has been, racist bollocks perpetuated by indie rock morons; yet here we are with some people still wheeling it out over a decade later.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just to add I think the major issue was 2007 year was the first time ticket registration was required for the Jay Z year, so some may have not got registered, done them wrong, could be arsed, ect that couple with the Jay Z factor, year on year more and more people get registered, word of mouth and through social media

31 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

Don’t want to tempt fate but the weather being successively amazing must help increase the demand too.

If next year is a bad wet one then that would surely have a negative impact on the following year? I know I took a break after the hard yards of 2016 

I don’t think a one off bad year would make a difference, the mud fest of 2016 certainly didn’t make it easier for 2017.

The TV cameras still make it look good regardless, and there would still be loads of people who missed out and didn’t experience the bad weather that would try again for the next one.

Two or three years of really bad weather would probably start to have a bit of an impact though.