Visiting Pilton before Glastonbury

Earth_pig

I said if we were lucky enough to get tickets then we would make a trip before the festival to Pilton/Glastonbury's as I've only ever seen the area from the coach window and we were very lucky this morning :)

Will be walking up the Tor but have others done this 

Any tips for places to stay/eat/walk ?

thanks and sorry if there is already a thread.

The Tor is unmissable to do at least once, with a distant view across the valley to the festival.

If you’re visiting immediately before the festival starts, book something straight away. We used to stay at the Glastonbury Travelodge, conveniently a short walk into the town with several pubs and places to eat, as well as the abbey.

I like to have a visit a few months before the festival. Last did it in spring 2017. Put the dogs in the car, down the M5 and along into Glastonbury, lunch in Hundred Monkeys Cafe on the High St, walk up the Tor, beautiful day, fantastic. 

Back in the car and over to Pilton. Walking through much of the site, seeing some of the infrastructure and signage going up. Dogs loved it, but not as much as we did. Just the thing to really get you in the mood.

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

I said if we were lucky enough to get tickets then we would make a trip before the festival to Pilton/Glastonbury's as I've only ever seen the area from the coach window and we were very lucky this morning :)

Will be walking up the Tor but have others done this 

Any tips for places to stay/eat/walk ?

thanks and sorry if there is already a thread.

If you can get to the site a few months before, you can walk the site. It's very interesting to see it empty before they stop access to do the build.

Eat - Hawthorns for curry, Rainbows End for the best day time veggie food (the cake is epic), Bocabar is pretty good but you may need to book.

Drink - The Riflemans (properly wierd at times, not unusal to have druids and centaurs in the bar), The King Arthur (best pub in Glasrtonbury in my humble opinion, it also does good food and music).

Shopping - Hecks for Cider to take home (in Street next to Glastonbury). the Kingsdon Black is cider perfection, the Port Wine of Glastonbury is also excellent.

Lots of B&Bs or the Premier Inn down by Bocabar

3 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Eat - Hawthorns for curry, Rainbows End for the best day time veggie food (the cake is epic), Bocabar is pretty good but you may need to book.

Drink - The Riflemans (properly wierd at times, not unusal to have druids and centaurs in the bar), The King Arthur (best pub in Glasrtonbury in my humble opinion, it also does good food and music).

Shopping - Hecks for Cider to take home (in Street next to Glastonbury). the Kingsdon Black is cider perfection, the Port Wine of Glastonbury is also excellent.

Don't forget Knights for fish and chips....just opposite Hawthorns ?

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Went into the rifle mans.  It was like walking into the set of the wicker man. But.  Everyone was really friendly and had a good night. Nearly got flattened by a juggernaut as we left !

I did it last year! I got an Airbnb about 5 minutes outside of town for about £60 a night and the view was unbeatable. I did the abbey and the tor, and had a lovely time. It's the weirdest place I've ever been by far (in a good way). Getting to site on the local bus in the morning was also a breeze so im considering doing something similar for this year even though I'll be solo! 

20190624_211841.jpg

• 2 months later...

booked 2 nights bed and breakfast in glastonbury town beginning of February.

Early train saturday and plan is to explore glastonbury town including the Tor and abbey and then dinner and pub, Sunday over to pilton to look at the site and a long walk before heading back to glasto town for sunday lunch

Shops and  little wander monday before train back to london 

Will try some of these recommendations when we go. 

My best friend got married just before Glastonbury. I put the back seats down in my Ford Focus with a double sleeping bag & a pillow & parked up right near the site. No problems, just made sure I wasn’t obstructing any farm machinery.

Had a lovely walk around before the wedding but I was sweating my tits off as it was so warm.

I had a better nights sleep in the Focus than my friends in their yurts. Free breakfast too.

That evening did wish I had an S-Max though. Proper flat seats folded but I don’t need a car of that size unless I become a hobo. Even found some baggies in the grass (which I binned or were used at the wedding).

Edited by Bisque

2 hours ago, Bisque said:

My best friend got married just before Glastonbury. I put the back seats down in my Ford Focus with a double sleeping bag & a pillow & parked up right near the site. No problems, just made sure I wasn’t obstructing any farm machinery.

Had a lovely walk around before the wedding but I was sweating my tits off as it was so warm.

I had a better nights sleep in the Focus than my friends in their yurts. Free breakfast too.

That evening did wish I had an S-Max though. Proper flat seats folded but I don’t need a car of that size unless I become a hobo. Even found some baggies in the grass (which I binned or were used at the wedding).

that sounds great! we kinda regret getting train tickets now instead of driving but never mind.

10 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Sunday over to pilton to look at the site and a long walk before heading back to glasto town for sunday

Not sure there's a Glastonbury - Pilton bus service on Sunday. The 669 Fromebus runs Monday to Saturday only. Advise you check.

Edited by Lycra

9 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

that sounds great! we kinda regret getting train tickets now instead of driving but never mind.

It really wasn’t bad at all, I just made sure I didn’t drink whilst sleeping in the car the night before & that I was on private land for the actual wedding.

I believe there is a grey area around being drunk/open container of alcohol whilst sleeping in the car with your keys as you are technically in charge of the motor. I don’t know how different it works for campervans as the same rule should apply. I guess it’s down to common sense of the Police officer & if you need to be moved on but can’t due to inebriation.

Had a tinnie in front of the bare Pyramid stage in the sunshine so made sure I was under the limit before driving, some of the roads are a bit dodgy & tight, no idea how some of the larger coaches do it.

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Not sure there's a Glastonbury - Pilton bus service on Sunday. The 669 Fromebus runs Monday to Saturday only. Advise you check.

You are correct.

Thank you ! Sat only and I don't think that frequent.

Will sort something out, either swap the days or use a local cab as it is only 13 mins drive.