Taking kids & disability questions

CeriG

Been lucky enough to get tickets today, our 3rd year going..... this year we plan to take our children aged 12, 10 & 7 when we go.

we will be staying in a campervan in CV east (fingers crossed) so that we are near the kidz field and circus etc.

any tips to make it easier with them? Eg, should we take a trolley? 

My son is blind so there fore we can have a disability pass. Haven’t a clue on how this all works, so any advice with that would be a huge help. 

TIA x

18 hours ago, CeriG said:

Been lucky enough to get tickets today, our 3rd year going..... this year we plan to take our children aged 12, 10 & 7 when we go.

we will be staying in a campervan in CV east (fingers crossed) so that we are near the kidz field and circus etc.

any tips to make it easier with them? Eg, should we take a trolley? 

My son is blind so there fore we can have a disability pass. Haven’t a clue on how this all works, so any advice with that would be a huge help. 

TIA x

Have you considered parking your campervan in the accesible camping ground? It wouldn't be near the kidz field, circus, etc., but it might make it easier in other aspects, maybe?

You need to register with the Accessibility Team and they'll provide you with wristbands that would allow you use interstage shortcuts, disabled toilets, a shuttle bus between some areas and viewing platforms. As far as I know, that would be for the person with the disability and one PA only, but you might want to check with the Access Team to find out what happens when you are a family with other young kids.

Take a look here: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/

A lot of information on this .pdf too: https://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2020-Access-Information-PDF.pdf

@CeriG Is this the first year you'll have taken them? Amazing experience for them all. 

I'm partially sighted, and have been a few times, including taking a friend who is registered blind (can just see shadow, light & dark) and he managed absolutely fine so long as we took relevant care when guiding him, particularly through the campsite tripwires! He thoroughly enjoyed it, even the really muddy years. He said it seemed to him to be easier to get about because everyone else had to slow down to about the speed we were going, he may have had a point. Guiding him back after a few edible delights in the stone circle on one of the hot years was probably the most difficult experience. ?

The shortcuts are really helpful, particularly the one between the Pyramid and Other Stage. Took advantage of the accessibility in 2017 and a friend came with me as a PA, since my night vision is now pretty rubbish. Removed a lot of the hassle and inconvenience. The worst bit was the really lengthy queues as they were doing pretty intense bag searches on everyone that year. We didn't bother with the viewing platforms, they're too far back to be any use to anyone with a visual impairment other than to gain a bit of space, but you can usually find that easy enough. Access to toilets that you know are going to be (relatively compared to others) clean is also a bonus. 

Get in touch with spring ground.. Claire is amazing and so is the whole team..... You can apply in November.. If your friend is registered disabled you will be able to go into spring ground.. Also he can have a carer who goes free.. 

Spring ground is right by jp stage so right next to the Ps etc.. 

IF you don't want to go that Rd you can always still apply for the above and not use spring ground.. But as I said you have to wait till Nov to apply.. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks everyone. Have had a read up and emailed the accessibility team. They said the packs will be out in November, so not going to bother with campervan. Main reason we were doing that was to prevent being sandwiched between lots of tents meaning lots of guide ropes which would be a nightmare for him. As long as tents in springs field are pitched with easy walkways we will camp and ditch the camper.

not too fussed about the viewing platforms as it’s being in the crowd and the athmosphere and sound that he loves ?

the main concern is walking through busy crowds with him, but think we will take a trolley for when times get like that. 

thanks for all your help 

Edited by CeriG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@CeriG tents can still be quite close together in Spring Ground, so the trip hazards may still be there. It's nowhere near as bad as the main site. There's an image, I think from last year, on Tort's Glastonbury FAQ page, about halfway down. Keep all options open 'til you've had a chance to speak with the Access team.

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3

4 hours ago, Dark Star said:

@CeriG tents can still be quite close together in Spring Ground, so the trip hazards may still be there. It's nowhere near as bad as the main site. There's an image, I think from last year, on Tort's Glastonbury FAQ page, about halfway down. Keep all options open 'til you've had a chance to speak with the Access team.

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3

Thanks dark star. I’ve read that you can have a camper van in spring ground, that may be an option but I’m guessing they get allocated very quickly to people that really can’t camp. The main issue for us really is just the guide ropes. I don’t want to have to mollycoddle him every time we go back to the tent carrying him. He would absolutely hate that. 

Do you think maybe I’m best to buy a camper ticket in east and then see what happens with spring ground? I know that we can get a refund up to April can’t we.  

4 hours ago, CeriG said:

Thanks dark star. I’ve read that you can have a camper van in spring ground, that may be an option but I’m guessing they get allocated very quickly to people that really can’t camp. The main issue for us really is just the guide ropes. I don’t want to have to mollycoddle him every time we go back to the tent carrying him. He would absolutely hate that. 

Do you think maybe I’m best to buy a camper ticket in east and then see what happens with spring ground? I know that we can get a refund up to April can’t we.  

I don't know what the score is regarding the refund of camper van tickets, but am sure you'd find someone willing to take one off your hands. I don't think there's any restriction on who uses them. You're equally as entitled to be in there with a camper van as anyone else, but I totally get where you're coming from about feeling you might be taking up space that someone else may need more. 

How old/tall is your son? I'm sure he should be fine as long as you guide him to the lowest point of the rope possible and tell him to step forward slowly, he'll get the hang of it in no time. If he's the youngest child, I honestly expect you'll have the normal tiredness issues of any 7 year old not having any energy at all and wanting to be carried more than any issues with his visual impairment. The likely worst scenario is you might have to pop a couple of ropes back in place. 

Have you taken him camping before? If not, he'll not be used to the ropes and to be aware for them. Perhaps a trip to somewhere like a Go Outdoors that has some tents set up, you could see how he does negotiating them in a safe level environment with you guiding him.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dark Star said:

I don't know what the score is regarding the refund of camper van tickets, but am sure you'd find someone willing to take one off your hands. I don't think there's any restriction on who uses them. You're equally as entitled to be in there with a camper van as anyone else, but I totally get where you're coming from about feeling you might be taking up space that someone else may need more. 

How old/tall is your son? I'm sure he should be fine as long as you guide him to the lowest point of the rope possible and tell him to step forward slowly, he'll get the hang of it in no time. If he's the youngest child, I honestly expect you'll have the normal tiredness issues of any 7 year old not having any energy at all and wanting to be carried more than any issues with his visual impairment. The likely worst scenario is you might have to pop a couple of ropes back in place. 

Have you taken him camping before? If not, he'll not be used to the ropes and to be aware for them. Perhaps a trip to somewhere like a Go Outdoors that has some tents set up, you could see how he does negotiating them in a safe level environment with you guiding him.

My son is 10. Yeah we go camping all the time and he is fine with our tents guide ropes using his cane. It’s when there’s lots of guide ropes around I’m guessing would be a nightmare for him to manoeuvre round. Maybe if I request to be near a track/the edge that might help. We will be getting there Wednesday anyway. 

We were going to pay to hire a camper but spring ground definitely seems to be winning. Think we might just bite the bullet and camp there.

thanks for all your help/advice ?

44 minutes ago, CeriG said:

My son is 10. Yeah we go camping all the time and he is fine with our tents guide ropes using his cane. It’s when there’s lots of guide ropes around I’m guessing would be a nightmare for him to manoeuvre round. Maybe if I request to be near a track/the edge that might help. We will be getting there Wednesday anyway. 

We were going to pay to hire a camper but spring ground definitely seems to be winning. Think we might just bite the bullet and camp there.

thanks for all your help/advice ?

Next time you put your tent up, get some string and bits of wood, try and simulate what you'd have between a couple of tents, and see how he goes. He'll probably be getting round better than everyone else by the end of the festival! 

• Upvote 1