Drop the deposit.

Matt42

6 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Any reason why Glasto avoids doing a tiered system like Boomtown, releasing those tiers in stages?

Another option - monthly repayment scheme?

For most Festivals the tiered system is generally there to create urgency and encourage people to buy sooner rather than later.

Glastonbury has the exact opposite ‘problem’ so it wouldn’t work and isn’t at all required.

We have a system at the moment which broadly rewards effort, although at the edges, some that make no effort will get in, and others who try everything won’t.

We really don’t want a Glastonbury full of diehard computer nerds who can save conscientiously all year. I want the people who did it on a whim, or with a hangover, or on the last of their overdraft and worried about the rest of it later, or on their phone, or only because their friend remembered.

I did my first Glastonbury because I met a friend in the pub on Friday lunchtime and they were just about to set off & I’d just got my giro, & here I am (counts) 34 years later still at it, because not deciding I was going months in advance didn’t make me ‘less Glastonbury’ than other people.

This generations Glastonbury chances are already light years from my early experience, it doesn’t need to be harder & the odd ‘casual ticket buyer’ of today (there can’t be many now) could easily be tomorrow’s Glastonbury veteran.

• Upvote 12

39 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Ok I get that, though if they were released in stages then peeps might feel theyve had more opportunities to get lucky with tix on the release days?

Releasing tickets in stages only improves the odds of getting at ticket very slightly if the same pool of people tried on each occasion, e.g....

Chances of getting one of 120,000 tickets released in one go with 1,200,000 trying (potential this year, representing approx 50% of total registrations) = 0.1, ie 10% or a 1 in 10 chance.

If those 120,000 tickets are released in 3 batches to that static 1,200,000 audience then the odds of success become (40,000÷1,200,000) + (40,000÷1,160,000) + (40,000÷1,120,000) =  0.10353, ie a 10.35% chance.

A batch release system only improves the chances if the pool of interested persons decreases significantly on the successive tickets sales. I suspect with Glasto the reverse would happen. The pool of people trying would increase for each ticket release as additional  interest is awakened. This would reduce the chances of getting a ticket even further ?

Yeah, good point - I guess it just just stages the demand somewhat though demand stays constant. Though would this still be the case if the price escalates like it does with the tiered systems that some festivals use? There is the variable of relative differences in publicity maybe as well with several sales.

53 minutes ago, amfy said:

We have a system at the moment which broadly rewards effort, although at the edges, some that make no effort will get in, and others who try everything won’t.

We really don’t want a Glastonbury full of diehard computer nerds who can save conscientiously all year. I want the people who did it on a whim, or with a hangover, or on the last of their overdraft and worried about the rest of it later, or on their phone, or only because their friend remembered.

I did my first Glastonbury because I met a friend in the pub on Friday lunchtime and they were just about to set off & I’d just got my giro, & here I am (counts) 34 years later still at it, because not deciding I was going months in advance didn’t make me ‘less Glastonbury’ than other people.

This generations Glastonbury chances are already light years from my early experience, it doesn’t need to be harder & the odd ‘casual ticket buyer’ of today (there can’t be many now) could easily be tomorrow’s Glastonbury veteran.

^^ Agreed.  Brilliant.

22 hours ago, stuie said:

^^ Agreed.  Brilliant.

Completely agree too.

As I said earlier in the thread, we on this forum live and breathe the festival, we obsess over, it trawl the internet for the slightest scrap of info and over analyse any utterance for meaning. If we’re not careful this can breed a superiority complex. We are in danger of forgetting that actually we are the minority, most people don’t think about it in that detail. They just want to buy a ticket and party on a farm for a few days.

Nerding it up as we do doesn’t make us more worthy than the average punter.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 4

I also disagree with this. I can see the logic that it could deter some of the public, but it wouldn't make anything easier. In fact, you'd only have 2 sales instead of 4 (no April resale) and that would be it. If they DID a resale, it would be extremely difficult for the festival to refund such large sums of money. Also remember that if people want to go enough, many will just put it on a credit card. 

Despite the above, Matt42's opinion is no less valid than anyone else's. What I love about eFestivals is someone can have an opinion and many times there will be interesting and respectful discussions. It's really important that we accept opinions other than our own. It's always difficult after ticket day because you have thousands of very disappointed people. 

1 hour ago, amfy said:

Perfectly said.

Sometimes, I selfishly hope they get rid of the deposit option because I'm fortunate enough to be able to purchase the full thing if needed and so it would increase my chances to get rid of the people who can't.   However, there are so many people who are not in that position and it would be awful to make the festival inaccessible for them.   It's an expensive event for most people and so anything that can help make it accessible for as many as possible has got to be a good thing.

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've just popped on here just to check that the title of the thread wasn't a direct instruction. So, you can imagine my relief that it isn't. I'd much rather do that sort of thing in my own time, than be instructed to do so. Call me old fashioned if you like.

think you're after this thread 

On 10/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Nope. Genuinely not. I love the idea of someone going on a whim, having their head turned and completely falling in love with the place.

Aye. 2014 I got a ticket on a whim in the resale and a few months later a solo camping group came together and we're now on our 6th Glastonbury