Drop the deposit.

Matt42

4 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Disagree - unforeseen events can happen, break ups, pregnancies, deaths even, job losses, health issues, moving house etc. A big commitment to ask of people that far in advance for the full whack, and not everyone has the financial ability to lump up for 6 full price tickets

Why would one person be paying for six tickets?!

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I was lucky enough to be successful this year, but I think ending the deposit system is the best way to make it easier on T Day for the loyal crowds.

The festival is at a point now where I feel they could comfortably do this. We are long gone from 2008 - the festival world is different now.

Make people cough up £260 in October with no lineup and I am sure things would be easier. I know too many people who drop £50 with no intention of going / conditional intent if Fleetwood Mac play!

Soz but I have to disagree.. 

Believe it or not to some people £50  isn't alot to lose.. I think it should be £100

that way those people who grab a ticket and wait for the line up which is usually leaked before resale and then go nooo I don't like that and lose £50 will be put off.. 

I just think that it's all gone a bit crazy now.. And it's only going to get worse imo.... 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Why would one person be paying for six tickets?!

because if they got through they would have to fork out a grand a half for the 6 tickets for their group? as opposed to the three hundred for 6, obviously I know they would sort the money back after but not everyone has that amount in the bank accounts for the transaction 

Just now, CJTM said:

because if they got through they would have to fork out a grand a half for the 6 tickets for their group? as opposed to the three hundred for 6, obviously I know they would sort the money back after but not everyone has that amount in the bank accounts for the transaction 

We always transfer the money into one account day before the on sale date and transfer back if we don’t get them. 

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We always transfer the money into one account day before the on sale date and transfer back if we don’t get them. 

yes and £50 is an amount easier for people to transfer over on a whim, rather than the £270 or whatever it is.

The festival aren't going to put themselves into a position where it is less attainable for people to go due to financial constraints. I first went to Glastonbury when I was a student, and well, you could probably see where I am going with this, but I imagine i'm not the only one who went as a student first time as well and next year will be 7th festival

25 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Soz but I have to disagree.. 

Believe it or not to some people £50  isn't alot to lose.. I think it should be £100

that way those people who grab a ticket and wait for the line up which is usually leaked before resale and then go nooo I don't like that and lose £50 will be put off.. 

I just think that it's all gone a bit crazy now.. And it's only going to get worse imo.... 

Are there really that many people that do that though? I personally don’t know anybody that’s ever done that. And those that do provide tickets in the resale giving people who missed out another chance anyway.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're a drop in the ocean and subject to  any number of biases and criteria that come from being forum users - more likely to be older, probably also more likely to be male, capable of keeping a thread for The National on the front page of the site over years since they completely fucked it at the festival.

We don't deserve tickets any more than anyone else.

Oh now you’ve done it.

14 minutes ago, CJTM said:

yes and £50 is an amount easier for people to transfer over on a whim, rather than the £270 or whatever it is.

The festival aren't going to put themselves into a position where it is less attainable for people to go due to financial constraints. I first went to Glastonbury when I was a student, and well, you could probably see where I am going with this, but I imagine i'm not the only one who went as a student first time as well and next year will be 7th festival

Why not save £22.50 a month in a separate savings account? 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Are there really that many people that do that though? I personally don’t know anybody that’s ever done that. And those that do provide tickets in the resale giving people who missed out another chance anyway.

I'm just not convinced the amount doing it is significant enough to alter the system which will change the demographic. How many tickets are generally in the resale? I've seen 10,000 bandied about before. Take out those who genuinely can't go because of a change of plans and wouldn't be able to even if they had paid a higher deposit or full price in ticket day. I think you're looking at much less than 10 percent 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yea there are old son .. Unfortunately.. Or fortunately depending on if you need a ticket 

2 minutes ago, Digi said:

I'm just not convinced the amount doing it is significant enough to alter the system which will change the demographic. How many tickets are generally in the resale? I've seen 10,000 bandied about before. Take out those who genuinely can't go because of a change of plans and wouldn't be able to even if they had paid a higher deposit or full price in ticket day. I think you're looking at much less than 10 percent 

I’d agree it’s probably under 10%. I think some people like to get wound up about imaginary scenarios that aren’t actually that significant.

The reason people miss out is that demand massively outstrips supply, this is great for the festival and exactly why they aren’t going to introduce measures that discourage a relatively insignificant amount of people.

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why not save £22.50 a month in a separate savings account? 

why not give people the option to get a refund for the unforeseen reasons/financial constraints I mentioned earlier? :)

28 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Erm... why?

Loyalty is normally rewarded. Not to mention the fact that getting a ticket means more to those that love the festival than it does to those that have never been. This makes no sense to me.

Everyone has exactly the same right to buy a ticket. 

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Sure.

In the October sale it’s a free for all to get a £50 deposit down. Many will put the deposit down despite the fact they haven’t planned / budgeted to attend the festival. Full fee upfront would mean a lot of people who really aren’t arsed about going wouldn’t bother - less people using coding and sly techniques to jam up the system because the demand is so huge!

the resale is often harder than the general sale - probably because the competition is higher as many want to get tickets specifically for the lineup / certain acts playing. Saying that they get another chance for a ticket is short sighted as it is like saying “well you have another chance where the odds are even more stacked against you... happy?” It doesn’t solve the initial problem!

If it’s enough that they can comfortably have another sale then it is a substantial amount.

My point is NOT that some people are more entitled to go than others - I just believe there should be more measures in place to stop tickets going to those who don’t really want them. It is NOT about whether someone has or does not have, a right to go.

The resale is for sure less competitive. 5/7 of my tickets have come through the resale. This year was only my second time successful in general sale.

If you really love the festival, then you get 4 shots at tickets, a year to fix volunteering/buy a big spade and camo gear. If you’re really committed you will get there probably 9 times out of 10 so cease with this big spoilt tory whining. 

In spirit there is no difference between this and jacking up the price because those who really want to go will pay more.

The demand outstrips supply so the equilibrium price is higher. It would still sell out if they put the price up. Some people would pay more, so they must value it higher right? Well, maybe in absolute monetary terms but probs not actually. And it would make for a festival full of big spoilt tories.

I gotta reiterate everybody elses argument that the deposit scheme does make it more affordable. It is the same gross sum but budgeting wise, having a fixed saving goal will make it so much less painful for a lot of people. Also actually, if we’re pedantic, because of the time value of money - interest/inflation etc - then paying 250 quid today does mean paying more than 250 quid in six months in real terms.

Edited by mattiloy
Higher
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

If you really love the festival, then you get 4 shots at tickets, a year to fix volunteering/buy a big spade and camo gear. If you’re really committed you will get there probably 9 times out of 10 so cease with this big spoilt tory whining. 

^This. Couldn’t have put it better

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets.

Why does anything have to change? It’s all working just fine now.

Most festivals in the UK the same price as Glastonbury have a payment plan system. It’s only Isle of Wight that doesn’t I think.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t mind some disagreeing with this take but can we not insinuate I’m being intentionally classist. 

The point of my post was there needs to be something done about the people who put down deposits with 0 intention of going / conditional intent to see if someone like FM plays.

You know how hard it is to get tickets, right? There aren’t many people that get tickets with 0 intention of going. You have to be pretty committed to get tickets. 

7 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I can’t remember who mentioned it earlier, but the idea of pre-paying the deposit seems very sensible to me, it would take a layer of complexity out of the ticket day process. If you’re unsuccessful you get your £50 back. 

Processing thousands of £50 payments and refunds will cost a fortune. And you know what costs mean - ticket prices rise. 

2 hours ago, LondonTom said:

Loads, but you can't really do anything about that.

If you deliberately start a  thread, where you know lots of people are going to start disagree with your opinion, is still a pile on?

Rude :(

I don't think I said you didn't have a heart? I just don't think you've thought about it from other people in worse situations than yourself.

I don't see what the devout has to do with it, part of the charm of Glastonbury is the mix of people you get. It would be shit if it was just the devout every year (Who would eventually die out anyway as new blood struggled to get in.)

Yes some of the replies were getting personal when there is no need.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I do understand that it’s a sensitive issue as some may be priced out - but most other festivals ask for full ticket price upfront so it’s not abhorrent for Glastonbury to ask that.

If the process is going to be easier something has got to give. I don’t really see it happening but any move to make the festival rush easier won’t be universally accepted.

Glastonbury isn’t like most other festivals.